O Gauge Tipton and Dudley port in the garden

iploffy

O gauge Tipton and Dudley port in the garden

by iploffy

original page on Old RMweb

??? posted on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:05 pm

well I finally bit the bullet after 3 years of major engineering and landscaping to the back garden I along with a few friends after building pillars finally put the baseboards down followed by felt and then some track here's the result along with a few piccy's from before and after

Ian

file.php?id=100391

file.php?id=100390

file.php?id=100389

file.php?id=100388

??? posted on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:09 pm

here are the pictures of after the work has started

file.php?id=100399

file.php?id=100398

file.php?id=100397

file.php?id=100396

file.php?id=100395

file.php?id=100394

file.php?id=100393

file.php?id=100392

Comment posted by OgaugeJB on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Did you use the garden fence panel as the baseboard ? icon_lol.gif

Look forward to seeing more pics icon_thumbsup2.gif

JB.

Comment posted by marsa69 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:52 pm

This is looking good. At first I thought the neighbours had bombed your garden in protest at the proposed construction of the new mainline icon_eek.gif

Keep the pics coming,

regards,

Mark

??? posted on Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:13 pm

bombed the garden!! icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif the neighbours thought i was drilling for oil as i moved and disposed of nearly 80 tons of soil via various outlets i was given a good idea dig a hole and bury it icon_biggrin.gif icon_biggrin.gif

Comment posted by marsa69 on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:02 pm

as i moved and disposed of nearly 80 tons of soil via various outlets

Like what? Little sacks down your trouser legs like The Great Escape? icon_lol.gif

??? posted on Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:14 pm

there aint no holes in the right of way any more and the neighbours flower beds seemed to rise over night not to mention the amount carried around on my boots and deposited in the house swmbo still loves me i think

any how tomorrow i think i am going to have a go at putting the crossing in as 4 lines diverge into 2 where the point is anybody got a wiring diagram for live frog crossings

Ian

Comment posted by onslaught832 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 am

Great to see someone else doing O gauge diesels in the garden icon_biggrin.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif

Phill icon_thumbsup2.gif

Comment posted by marsa69 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:54 am

That 47 looks lonely icon_eek.gif I might have to pop round with mine and get some surround sound Duffs going icon_lol.gif

Whats the plan trackwork wise Ian? And what era are you looking at modelling? Or is the clue in the 'blue' 47?

regards,

Mark

Comment posted by artizen on Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:49 pm

You wouldn't want to change your mind about the track plan after all that work bricklaying!!! Obviously when the house is sold, the layout is a feature? Bit like we sell a house for more because it has an outdoor room with giant barbeque? Looks good - amazing amount of work gone into this already!

Comment posted by Jack on Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:19 pm

iploffy wrote:

any how tomorrow i think i am going to have a go at putting the crossing in as 4 lines diverge into 2 where the point is anybody got a wiring diagram for live frog crossings

Hi Ian,

Try here.

Makes me wish i had a garden ... icon_mutter.gif

??? posted on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:39 pm

marsa69 wrote:

That 47 looks lonely
icon_eek.gif
I might have to pop round with mine and get some surround sound Duffs going
icon_lol.gif

Whats the plan trackwork wise Ian? And what era are you looking at modelling? Or is the clue in the 'blue' 47?

regards,

Mark

yes the clue is in the blue diesels

we have a total of 11 mixed blue and green diesels as well as a soon to be built 108 in refurbished livery and soon to be class 84,85,86,87 overhead electrics the era we are trying to create is 1970-1985 in this time period anything goes and yes i will be trying to model 25kV overheads non working of course icon_winker.gif icon_winker.gif

but the only sticking point at the moment is the lift out section my brother who is a tool maker is designing me location lugs and if all goes well i should be laying the single line on to the next section early next week

??? posted on Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:41 pm

Ian

file.php?id=100521

Comment posted by lancer1027 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:56 pm

Exellent stuff icon_thumbsup2.gif Diesels, O gauge, Garden Railway........... What more could you want icon_clap.gif icon_clap.gif . Look forward to seeing the progress on this icon_thumbsup2.gif

Rob icon_wave.gif

Comment posted by marsa69 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:00 pm

And not a hydraulic in sight icon_eek.gif icon_wink.gif

Comment posted by onslaught832 on Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:20 pm

marsa69 wrote:

And not a hydraulic in sight
icon_eek.gif
icon_wink.gif

Apart from that, it looks OK though icon_winker.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_lol.gif

Phill icon_thumbsup2.gif

??? posted on Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:03 am

onslaught832 wrote:

marsa69 wrote:

icon_eek.gif
icon_wink.gif

Apart from that, it looks OK though
icon_winker.gif
icon_mrgreen.gif
icon_lol.gif

Phill
icon_thumbsup2.gif

Only wish i had some hydraulics! the layout will be as close to prototype as possible and the time period is set between 1970-85 with the amount of traffic in the area and the varying traffic flows it is quite conceiveable that the Grand Jnc lines were closed and everything was diverted via the Stour valley lines on its way to Bescot. The traffic includes loco's from 20-56's, china clay to stoke,freight liners,local suburban traffic, class 1 passenger both XC and WC the possibilities are endless

the track plan will be based between Tipton and Dudley port my colleague Rob who is a very good chippy is building a 7mm copy of the station at Tipton,the station at Dudley Port will be cast in concrete as per the prototype we will have the long loops between the stations and the level crossing (working)and associated crossing box at Watery lane. the possibilities are endless and its going to take quite a while to finish but the idea's and the knowlege and the enthusiasm is here

Ian

Comment posted by lancer1027 on Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:36 pm

onslaught832 wrote:

marsa69 wrote:

icon_eek.gif
icon_wink.gif

Apart from that, it looks OK though icon_winker.gif icon_mrgreen.gif icon_lol.gif

Phill icon_thumbsup2.gif[/quote

Of course the perfect O gauge garden railway would have HYDRAULICS AND LOTS OF THEM . But its a start and im sure there will be some soon icon_winker.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif

Rob. PS Sorry guy's i missed the meet up at Telford ( but thats another story icon_mutter.gif icon_mutter.gif )

Comment posted by F-UnitMad on Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:11 pm

lancer1027 wrote:

Exellent stuff
icon_thumbsup2.gif
Diesels, O gauge, Garden Railway........... What more could you want
icon_clap.gif
icon_clap.gif

...Your own Garden Railway... icon_mutter.gif icon_mutter.gif icon_rolleyes.gif icon_evil.gif

/jealous icon_mrgreen.gif

i will be trying to model 25kV overheads non working of course

Ahh, shame... that would be some deterrent to burglars... icon_wow.gif icon_lol.gif

??? posted on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:22 pm

had time to draw a very rough track plan it is not to scale but gives the jist of the track layout

Ian

file.php?id=101718

??? posted on Thu Sep 24, 2009 7:25 pm

well Rob and co have been at it again giving me more track laying to do,this time they have laid the base boards around the corner at the bottom of the garden where the 4 track loops start at the end of Dudley Port station.We have had a brain storm and decided to build a very small MPD here for 2 08 shunters Anyway i have been getting on with the track laying.I have laid the double jnction and am busy doubling the main lines i have part finished the lift out section. icon_biggrin.gif

I am attempting to upload some pics hopefully i might get some thing running eventhough its only there and back.

Ian

file.php?id=104032

file.php?id=104031

file.php?id=104030

file.php?id=104029

file.php?id=104028

file.php?id=104025

file.php?id=104024

file.php?id=104023

Comment posted by OgaugeJB on Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:13 am

That's looking great.. I like all the extended check rails on the diamond crossing ! icon_thumbsup2.gif

JB.

Comment posted by big T on Fri Sep 25, 2009 11:31 am

Top job!

It looks like you've done some serious construction work there!

What could be better than relaxing in the garden on a summers day, with a beer, running O gauge diesels on freights? Aaaah - Heaven!!

Keep up the good work - Im green with envy!

Comment posted by marsa69 on Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Treeeeeeeeeeeeemendous icon_clap.gif

??? posted on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:01 pm

thanx for all the good words i've finished felting the new base boards today, tomorrow with any luck I will be laying the first of the long loops (Watery Lane) at the end of Dudley Port station, I remember reading something on the forum about ballasting outdoors and it turning green can any-one enlighten me as to what the outcome was I am not ready to start ballasting yet but I would like to do a test piece to test glues and types of stone,as I wont be using the felt as I think it just does not do the formation justice.

Ian

O gauge Tipton and Dudley port in the garden"http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=0&t=0&start=0http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=50643&start=25">original page on Old RMweb

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What could be better than relaxing in the garden on a summers day, with a beer, running O gauge diesels on freights? Aaaah - Heaven Agreed, though I'm not sure I personally could do much relaxing, with what looks to be potentially quite a drop to the ground from the lifting bridge section, if things went pear-shaped...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the lift out section electrics will be intergrated into the 2 sections ahead of it both ways so if the lift out section is not in there will be no power to the line infront of it also there will be 3 retaining walls built like a box around the lift out section to stop any wayward de-railments going near the drop. Around the whole of the layout there will be retaining walls to stop any thing inadvertantly leaving the track and trying to commit lemming style actions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lovely stuff - I,d like to have something like this eventually.Good plan with the lift out, you would surely cry if something fell off there

Sensible ideas! Having suffered a wrecked loco a while back I was just glad it happened to something cheap... I'd hate to think of something similar happening to one of your fine locos, but everything's under control, I see. Just one other question... how long has that Signal Box served as a Hacksaw stand...???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad you noticed that one the signal box will contain 2 seep motors (I had difficulty mounting 1 of them under the boards) I am still awaiting another motor so as the lid aint on and secured I thought well why not I wont loose the hacksaw in a hurry,also I wanted to use point rodding you can see as I like to try keep things nice and interesting

Comment posted by StepneyDown on Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:43 pm

Looking to be a very nice garden layout that! Something I've always wanted, but don't have the space (or permission for that matter) to do so.

Good luck with this layout!

• RMweb Premium

This is an amazing project......id better not tell my dad as he his attempting a similar project in his garden but in Gauge 1 blink.gif

Will be watching with interest

Cheers, Anthony

Ooh, nice to catch up with this thread again...!!!

Frightening how easy it was to loose track of members and their threads when RMweb3 went pop....

Thanks for that and its good to be back I was a bit worried that I couldn't get it to transfer properlyicon_frustrated.gif icon_frustrated.gif and that is what happened with page 2 of the old posts but ho hum

well not alot happened of late Layed the inner loop and down Stour wired them all to the buzz bars, got myself 2 relays and 2 tortoise point motors and 2 DPDT switches playing sparky blink.gif blink.gif what fun this wire goes here and that wire goes there before long you have more spaggetti than an italian restaurant and what fun if the wires get crossed it could go psissed and then bang icon_mutter.gif icon_mutter.gif icon_mutter.gif

Have you called either of the 08s Concorde? 08805. what is the name of theat depot? i can't find it anywhere...

hi there as the layout is based between 1970-85 both of the 08's are not named but they will be Bescot loco's.

As to the name of the depot it's purely modellers fancy as we want some where to put them and move them around, there were 2 sidings in the area for Tipton gas these will be portrayed but will be incorpeated into the depot. Both of the stations , the loops ,the signal cabin and the level crossing exist at the moment. To fit the loops in they will sited on a curve where as in reality they are straight.

Hi Ian icon_wave.gif

Nice to see your layout on the new forum icon_e_biggrin.gif. What are you using for baseboards (outdoors ) icon_question.gif & also will your points going to be manualy operated icon_question.gif

Cheers Phill icon_thumbsup2.gif

hello phil good to here from you again, I decided to leave the materials to Rob he used 3/4 external chipboard painted with tar then covered with roofing felt as yet the underside is not protected as I have to wire it up, the wiring is a nightmare in itself,I am using a buzz bar under each running rail for electrical continuity and soldering droppers to each rail section so as not to use the rail joiner other than to line up the rails. It takes time and as I have an 11 month old daughter I dont get much of that commoddity at the momenticon_yawn.gif icon_yawn.gif .

I will also be using a 12v uncontrolled supply around the layout to power all of the lights and relays that will switch the supplies automatically also this supply will be used to power the signalls and the level crossing.

the point motors will be a mixture of Seep and Tortoise they will be weather proofed as they are not water proof I am at the moment looking for suitable plastic containers in which to put the point motors any thoughtsicon_question.gif icon_question.gif it must remain accessable but not intrusive to the eye. I could hide them under mock hills but thats for the future.

hopefully if it stays dry on Friday I will be back in the garden and will put some more pictures up

Ian

the point motors will be a mixture of Seep and Tortoise they will be weather proofed as they are not water proof I am at the moment looking for suitable plastic containers in which to put the point motors any thoughtsicon_question.gif icon_question.gif it must remain accessable but not intrusive to the eye. I could hide them under mock hills but thats for the future.

hopefully if it stays dry on Friday I will be back in the garden and will put some more pictures up

Ian

Hi Ian :icon_wave:

How about some suitable sized 'Tupperware' type boxes ?, I asume your point motors are to be mounted under the boards ?, if so I would cut a point motor sized hole in the lid of the 'Tupperware' box & screw it to the baseboard & clip the box part onto the lid to keep the weather out :icon_smile:

Cheers Phill :icon_thumbsup2:

Hi Ian icon_wave.gif

How about some suitable sized 'Tupperware' type boxes ?, I asume your point motors are to be mounted under the boards ?, if so I would cut a point motor sized hole in the lid of the 'Tupperware' box & screw it to the baseboard & clip the box part onto the lid to keep the weather out icon_smile.gif

thanks for the input unfortunately i dont want to place the motors underneith thepoint as any hole through the base board allows water into the woodwork below and it does not matter how water resistant something is it will at sometime begin to cause trouble. Do you remember Talacre the layout in north Wales he raised the very same point and surface mounted H&M motors but made very little attemt to disguise them as i am trying to make this layoout look reasonable so i dont rip it up again i.e. long flowing curves (like yours)I am trying to get it right first time. Any ideas as to what ballast to use and glue because I remember a thread that stated the stone turned green when outdoors

Ian

Any ideas as to what ballast to use and glue because I remember a thread that stated the stone turned green when outdoors

Ian

Hi Ian :icon_wave:,

I haven't ballasted my railway yet, I have weathered the roofing felt using fence wood stain which looks OK, but long term I do intend to ballast it . I intend to use a sack of stone chippings which is intended to go in floor screed which I have stored ready for the purpose, some people use fishtank gravel which works OK but unfortuately they are mini pebbles which dosn't really look right IMO :icon_wink: . I 'm not sure how to fix it down when I get round to it, but one possibility would be waterproof PVA/Wood Glue :icon_question:

Hi Ian icon_wave.gif,

I haven't ballasted my railway yet, I have weathered the roofing felt using fence wood stain which looks OK, but long term I do intend to ballast it . I intend to use a sack of stone chippings which is intended to go in floor screed which I have stored ready for the purpose, some people use fishtank gravel which works OK but unfortuately they are mini pebbles which dosn't really look right IMO icon_wink.gif . I 'm not sure how to fix it down when I get round to it, but one possibility would be waterproof PVA/Wood Glue icon_question.gif

Hi Philicon_wave.gif

Hummm jury is still out.,I am more worried that the glue will make the stone go green,where did you get the chippings? are they readily available to be totally honest this is my first dabble into the great outdoors and I am determined to try and get it right first time so I dont have to do it all again

Another question Phil do you find yourself tinkering with the formation trying to iron out all of the little lumps and bumps and trying to make smooth curves this seems to take a very long time or am I just being critical.unsure.gif

How long did it take you to finish you layout and did you find yourself tinkering.

Any way made an executice decision today all of the relays are going to be put in waterproof boxes under the layout as this will protect them from the worst of the elements and inside each box there is going to be a wiring diagram sealed in as with the double crossing there are 3 relays each with 14 wires leading to it there are going to be alot of wires.

As I said I will start work on that tomorrow hopefully will have it finished some time in the early evening.

Ian

Hi Ian :icon_wave:

Hummm jury is still out.,I am more worried that the glue will make the stone go green,where did you get the chippings? are they readily available to be totally honest this is my first dabble into the great outdoors and I am determined to try and get it right first time so I dont have to do it all again

I got the sack of chippings from a friend of a friend in the trade in exchange for a few beers.

Another question Phil do you find yourself tinkering with the formation trying to iron out all of the little lumps and bumps and trying to make smooth curves this seems to take a very long time or am I just being critical.unsure.gif

It took forever & a day getting smooth curves, although I found it quite relaxing laying the track loosely then getting my head right down on the track looking for the bumps, going & tweeking the track & repeating the process many times until completely satisfied. But once it's done those long flowing curves are well worth the effort.

How long did it take you to finish you layout and did you find yourself tinkering.

I don't know if it will ever be finished, it just keeps evolving & like yourself the progress can be quite slow at times with young children. The next jobs will be finishing the terminus & fiddle yard & a outdoor viaduct & a through station, so plenty to do , but that helps keep the interest in the line going.

hi there as the layout is based between 1970-85 both of the 08's are not named but they will be Bescot loco's.

As to the name of the depot it's purely modellers fancy as we want some where to put them and move them around, there were 2 sidings in the area for Tipton gas these will be portrayed but will be incorpeated into the depot. Both of the stations , the loops ,the signal cabin and the level crossing exist at the moment. To fit the loops in they will sited on a curve where as in reality they are straight.

Sorry, I meant the depot where Concorde is kept. It's the one between new street and smethwick.

post-3731-12580452507695_thumb.jpgpost-3731-12580450963277_thumb.jpg

well we have had a busy couple of days dodging the rain but we are on the move again.

In the first picture we have spaghetti wiring all for the relays for the cross overs and the relays for the isolating sections will run into this weather proof box.

In the second we have been laying the slow lines and have got close to the shed.

In the third picture we have the points at Dudley Port end of watery Lane loops.

In the forth we have the other end of the as yet unfinished loops

Ian

post-3731-12580451445916_thumb.jpg

post-3731-12580451708857_thumb.jpg

Hi Mark :D :D

it's not a case of speed I just fettle around till I think it looks right and there are places that dont look right believe me <_< <_< as Onslaught said its never finished in my case I dont think I will rest till all of the little lumps and bumps are out and smooth :icon_thumbsup2: :icon_thumbsup2:

Jobs to do grind the check rail to give it a lead into the points,finish the wiring,finish the buzz bars,add the external woodwork,lay the up main through the station and lay the up loop including a lead into the depot,build the control station in the shed,paint the forth bridge,tile the roof of the house,you get the idea always not enough daylight left at the start of the evening

Ian

Archived