Railway Modeller layout query

RailWest

A bit of a challenge....

Some years ago a model layout appeared in the Railway Modeller. It may or may not have been the 'Railway of the Month'  for that issue.

IIRC it was 4mm scale, based on an imaginary Southern Railway  prototype (possibly ex-SE&SCR). The main scenic part consisted of a station with a single platform with station building facing the front of the layout, the main single-line track, a siding opposite the platform that was connected into the main line at both ends, and a level-crossing at the RH end of the platform. There may have been another siding or two at the LH end, not sure about that.

Does this 'ring a bell' with anyone and if so do they know the RM Issue please ???

10 hours ago, RailWest said:

A bit of a challenge....

Some years ago a model layout appeared in the Railway Modeller. It may or may not have been the 'Railway of the Month'  for that issue.

IIRC it was 4mm scale, based on an imaginary Southern Railway  prototype (possibly ex-SE&SCR). The main scenic part consisted of a station with a single platform with station building facing the front of the layout, the main single-line track, a siding opposite the platform that was connected into the main line at both ends, and a level-crossing at the RH end of the platform. There may have been another siding or two at the LH end, not sure about that.

Does this 'ring a bell' with anyone and if so do they know the RM Issue please ???

The only one remotely similar that I can recall was Darenth, from early 1983 or so, but that was a terminus and what you're describing sounds like a through station.

15 hours ago, RailWest said:

Some years ago ...

If you don't mind me asking, what age bracket are you in? If you're younger than 40 then this time frame might be in the 21stCentury. If however you're like me and upwards of 60, then the time frame might be a lot further back (as per @PatB's comment re 1983)

Graham

• Agree 1

I would hazard a guess that it was in the 2000-210 period, tho' I often find that such things were much further back than I thought !

I do recall there being a 'Darenth ' layout once, but the one in which I'm interested was certainly a thru' station IIRC.

So folks to follow on the back of this request for an article from the railway modeller . I was wondering if any member of this forum is able to help out with this request either to contact me off forum or provide the offer of help. Back in the mid 1976 there was an article on building model railways in or on a bookcase. The article I am wishing to obtain details I think covered two months , two modellers had similar ideas. The one I am seeking I think. Is Hawley Town . I used to have copy of the article but re-patriation  to the uk at the end of an overseas tour I think I gave away both copies which contained the articles. I know photos of the layout has appeared in several books on railway modelling. With retirement approaching I am interested in layouts which can be built in or on a bookcase and not too disruptive to the domestic authorities. In addition around the same period the layout Chevoitdale appeared and I am very keen to obtain a copy of this  article.

I think Chevoitdale appeared at the York Model railway show between the period 1976 and1979.
Incidentally  I understand Peco are considering making historical articles from their magazines available on line to view under some form of conscription.

Any help and member can provide I outdoor be grateful 

Edited by 4firstimes