Power Packs fitted to an ESU V4 Loksound.

dasatcopthorne

I have started a new topic on this as I feel a previous thread got somewhat confused.

I have fitted DCC Concepts 3 wire Power Packs to 2 x V4 Loksound Micro locos. A Bachmann Class 03 and Hornby Class 08.

I believe they are fitted correctly and the locos perform as before fitting. I have set CV113 to 255 as per ESU instructions. However I cannot detect any 'run-on' at all in both locos. I have allowed plenty if time for the Caps to charge up.

I have checked the instructions issued with genuine ESU power packs and it seems that is all that needs setting.

In another thread it has been suggested that there needs to be some alteration to CV315 to let the Power Pack do its job but I cannot trace any mention of this CV except for V5 decoders.

Has anyone found or know of any info on this please?

Dave

39 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

I have started a new topic on this as I feel a previous thread got somewhat confused.

I have fitted DCC Concepts 3 wire Power Packs to 2 x V4 Loksound Micro locos. A Bachmann Class 03 and Hornby Class 08.

I believe they are fitted correctly and the locos perform as before fitting. I have set CV113 to 255 as per ESU instructions. However I cannot detect any 'run-on' at all in both locos. I have allowed plenty if time for the Caps to charge up.

I have checked the instructions issued with genuine ESU power packs and it seems that is all that needs setting.

In another thread it has been suggested that there needs to be some alteration to CV315 to let the Power Pack do its job but I cannot trace any mention of this CV except for V5 decoders.

Has anyone found or know of any info on this please?

Dave

slightly left field, I purchased a viessmann maintenance vehicle. It was pre fitted with a DCC chip and power pack from factory. I found it was not charging the power pack at all in certain locations on the layout. Now my layout has around 7 boosters these are digitrax boosters, now what was different between boosters and it was track voltage I found that track voltage was a volt lower than the rest of the layout where it would not charge once I put the voltage up everything worked as expected. I offer this as a possible explanation as it appears track voltage needs to be high enough for charging to take place.

Edited by Andymsa

29 minutes ago, dasatcopthorne said:

Thanks Andy.

I'll keep that in mind but I don't have a Ramp Meter so I'm not able to measure the voltage at track.

Cheers

Dave.

You can measure track voltage with a volt meter, with two readings. One from one rail to ground then the other and add these measurements to give track voltage.

• Like 1