Baseboard top covering

RichD1

Has anyone used this to put over the ply top of your baseboard? Seems a cheaper alternative to the usual cork sheet and should provide better noise reduction. Could also use to build up the ground level to provide contours in the layout. 

https://www.diy.com/departments/diall-5mm-extruded-polystyrene-xps-foam-laminate-solid-wood-flooring-underlay-panels/1570772_BQ.prd

Can anyone suggest a cheap source for thicker sheets of XPS to create inclines and cuttings?

Richard

• RMweb Gold

Not sure it's quite the same but I've gone for this stuff for similar reasons

https://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-premier-wood-laminate-underlay-boards-5mm-9-76m/68038

though it's quite easily dented and I'm still pondering how best to stick it down, I've actually bought enough for two layers so I can cut sections to build up a track bed.

Any thoughts on a suitable adhesive for this sort of stuff?

Cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Gold

yes i have used this stuff. Cuts easily but flakes a bit. I stuck down with PVA with no problems.

BUT the big problem is that it dents very easily. Only got to rest your hand on it a little heavily and you have a dent which you cant get out. Also it does break up easily if you drill into it or try and cut holes through the baseboard.

On my new layout, i went for 3mm cork which i now consider is superior in every respect. I would not use the flooring underlay again.

Edited by ikcdab
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've used a laminate underlay from B and Q it has a similar texture to sundella and will hold a track pin . Has the advantage if you need to dismantle the layout most track can be recovered and reused 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ikcdab said:

BUT the big problem is that it dents very easily. Only got to rest your hand on it a little heavily and you have a dent which you cant get out. 

So is the same for the blue (now grey I believe) which you can buy from various outlets including model and art shops?

I thought the Woodland Scenic boards are XPS foam.

Richard

Edited by RichD1