If you are after something in particular post your wanted ad here.

Early Motor Cars in 1:76 00 Scale

LNWR18901910

I am planning on a micro layout inspired by Budget Model Railways and having chosen the early 1900s being the Edwardian period, I am looking to find at least one or two model cars in 00 scale from that period as they were a rarity at the time even in the countryside. It would most likely be something like these:

image.png.9eb45f07a236b7919e51092b1c1fa851.png

image.png.80d8a49662eab1fcaad79c12690a915a.png

image.png.fd3fc17433eda6121a3079cdff2d80a7.png

(I'd have to admit that Daracqs are the best by far! I'd take one over a Renault or Citreon anyday!)

So, if anyone knows where they can be obtained or if anyone has any they might be willing to spare, then please do kindly get in touch with me, thank you.

image.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have recently been trying to make a couple of fairly decent veteran cars out of two diecast bodies with plastic fittings. The major problem being the totally horrible wheels. I think that they are reasonably scaled for 4mm. They are part of a Chinese-made series from an American firm that I can't put a name to right now. Here are the disassembled cars. The diecast bodies aren't bad and they seem to represent actual prototypes. When I have had my breakfast I will add pictures of progress so far. The wheels are still presenting a challenge. At that period they were often the bicycle spoked type. The gold one is I think based on the Vauxhall Prince Henry and the silver is possibly a Daracq. The wheels look a bit better if they are painted black and the stub axle tube on the back is reduced so they don't project beyond the mudguards.

Chinese veteran cars 02.jpg

IMG_7879.JPG

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is how they are now. One point I missed in the previous post is that they are riveted together with exceptionally hard rivets. I blunted at least one drill in taking them apart. The plastic of the wheels and the main underframe and mudguard unit is a tough slightly flexible plastic which doesn't file or sand well. I have ideas for making new wheels from scratch, but have other pressing tasks needing attention before I get back to them. Seeing them on screen, they look fairly clunky but they are only about 6cm long and look more acceptable in the flesh.

My other car is a de-mobbed 1/76th Crossley WW1 staff car. In contrast it is a very highly detailed £20 resin kit, which my creaky fingers and one good eye are having to build very slowly and carefully. That is from  WD models of Bangor. This is their catalogue photo 

http://www.wdmodels.com/www.mrsite.co.uk/usersitesv18/62996.mrsite.com/wwwroot/USERIMAGES/WEB PAGE.jpg   To get to photos like this one go to their online order form http://www.wdmodels.com/page12.html . I think that Barry may be a solo trader and has been under the cosh with the pressures of the pandemic, but he generally responds fairly quickly.

Edit I have just found a set including one of these two at https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/582380687/vintage-metal-cars-vintage-peugeot-cars?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=old+toy+cars&ref=sr_gallery-3-34&from_market_listing_grid_organic=1

while I was trying to find the name of the brand. It is a sort of souvenir shop product. I bought my two from a local antiques & collectibles market for a couple of quid each.

Edit 2

I have now found this set which has more details but I still haven't found the make, although they were curiously marketed by Readers Digest it seems  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-MODEL-CARS-Set-6-MINATURES-READERS-DIGEST-1980s-BOXED-Fiat-Ford-Peugeot/333925317185?hash=item4dbf7ffa41:g:KNwAAOSwnBdgLrmJ

Painted with modified wheels 2.jpg

Painted with modified wheels.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 20/03/2021 at 08:21, phil_sutters said:

I have recently been trying to make a couple of fairly decent veteran cars out of two diecast bodies with plastic fittings. The major problem being the totally horrible wheels. I think that they are reasonably scaled for 4mm. They are part of a Chinese-made series from an American firm that I can't put a name to right now. Here are the disassembled cars. The diecast bodies aren't bad and they seem to represent actual prototypes. When I have had my breakfast I will add pictures of progress so far. The wheels are still presenting a challenge. At that period they were often the bicycle spoked type. The gold one is I think based on the Vauxhall Prince Henry and the silver is possibly a Daracq. The wheels look a bit better if they are painted black and the stub axle tube on the back is reduced so they don't project beyond the mudguards.

Chinese veteran cars 02.jpg

IMG_7879.JPG

I've got these two vehicles and considered remodelling them. Apart from a repaint, the wheels definitely are wrong to me. They sit on my windowsill begging to be dealt with, but they are way down the priority list, into that " one day I'll get around to it" department! However with my 75th fast approaching, hand/eye skills ain't as good as they used to be! Best I don't put things off for too long.

Tod

1 hour ago, SweenyTod1 said:

I've got these two vehicles and considered remodelling them. Apart from a repaint, the wheels definitely are wrong to me. They sit on my windowsill begging to be dealt with, but they are way down the priority list, into that " one day I'll get around to it" department! However with my 75th fast approaching, hand/eye skills ain't as good as they used to be! Best I don't put things off for too long.

Tod

Out of interest, what diameter are the wheels please

Wayne

• RMweb Gold
On 21/03/2021 at 12:59, SweenyTod1 said:

Tod

I am only one step ahead of you and on a par age and ability-wise. I have an idea for building some better wheels but have other pressing projects so it will be months before I return to those two. Nevertheless having been trying to locate their brand, I discovered that there is also a set of vans from Readers Digest, which is now on order*. This time I won't try to drill out the rivets, but cut the axles immediately behind the wheels and mask other areas as needed when painting, rather than disassembling. The mudguards and running boards are not worth trying to slim down. The plastic ends up too rough. Commercial wheels seem to be of a more solid design and should be easier to recreate. One thing I have noticed is how smooth the tires were back then - hardly any sign of treads until you get into the heavy commercial types.

*Stupidly I didn't check the vans' scales. They are wildly over 1/76th - nearer to the later Yesteryear models. Fortunately they were dirt cheap. One for the charity shops when they open!

Edited by phil_sutters
Salutary lesson learnt!
  • Like 1

The tyres are a strange profile, in that in cross section they are pointed. Thickness of the wheel is exagerated  by the spokes that stick out from wheel hubs. A most odd design. A friend of mine produces white metal kits, so I will have a chat with him to see of he can produce something better.  I have three of these cars,

308 Prince Henry 1916         1:68

301 Fiat Modello 8CV 1901  1:58

306 Simplex  1912                 1:76

All are made in Hong Kong

So you can see that they are all different scales, though the last one is bang on for  4mm/ft.

I've had them for many years and cost me 75p each, they still had the price stickers on the bottom of them. I had to remove them to give you the detail above.

I will report back about the success or otherwise regarding the wheel saga.

Happy modelling folks,

Tod

On 19/03/2021 at 19:45, CKPR said:

Look out for the old Jet / Harbutts kits that sometimes turn up on Ebay.

I was going to mention those but you've beaten me to it!  I had several in my 'stash' for years until I realised that they would look good in my scrapyard on 'Enigma Engineering', rather beaten up and rusty with the axles on piles of bricks.  I think I may still have a couple, including the 'Le Mans' Bentley - which would be far to grand for a scrap yard!

• Like 1