Modelling bridges - Show and Tell

I have been working on my bedroom shunting layout for quite some time now and I have recently re-installed the bridge after modifying it to work with the changed track-plan. It still needs a lot of work, i.e. a wall along the edge of the bridge, but it has turned out the way I wanted it to. However, I'm stuck on how to depict it. One cheap solution is to cover the whole thing in brick paper but I want the layout to have that realistic feel. I'm thinking of having a girder bridge in between brick walls but I'm not sure on how to model it. I've posted some pics of my bridge below to give you an idea with what I'm working with. Feel free to post any pics of your bridges on your layouts: this is what I made this topic for. Also, any help with my bridge would be greatly appreciated. 

1959979800_Thebridge.JPG.aa8fa0ef4f3ce25e447acfef439ebe13.JPG

67478296_topofthebridge.JPG.02fea7d131fdf80ccca334870b319015.JPG

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

Wills Vari-Girders will probably give you a decent amount of flexibility. The bridge below I did from those with plastruct profiles under the road deck to add more detail, but you could omit that to keep cost down.

The abutments are a plasticard shell, covered with slaters embossed brick sheet.

Not linked to any company, just personal preference.

20210221_091826.jpg.289444261c72591627c4f41b14f428ff.jpg

• Like 2

I don't usually recommend using models as a template because you would be copying errors, but DRoe96's example looks good. The fact that the girders are mounted on lintels instead of directly on a course of bricks shows a good attention to detail.

You shouldn't have to go very far to see some real railway bridges, either on active or closed lines. Even within lockdown, there should be some within reach..or you could just search online for railway photos. Many photos of locos or wagons have bridges in the background.

One remark I would make is that most railway bridges were built in the days where brickwork was usually English bond rather than Stretcher bond, which has become more popular since then.

If you take a look at my layout thread (there is a link to it in the footer), you will see lots of English bond, both real & in model form. You will also see the previously mentioned Wills Varigirder which has been hacked about a little to represent the bridge I wanted.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

You shouldn't have to go very far to see some real railway bridges, either on active or closed lines. Even within lockdown, there should be some within reach.

I don't have to go far to find one: There is one literally on my doorstep! It's a short walk away from where I live and I see the trains cross over it from the landing window. 

Just rediscovered this thread and thought I'd update it a bit. 

The bedroom shunting "layout" is long gone but I've three proper layouts being worked on now but work on two of them has stalled. The layout that's being worked on is bigger than Grosmont MPD and the still unnamed BR blue shunting layout. It's currently located in my Grandparent's garage as there's no room in my house for it. 

The new layout (unnamed) is set in during era 4 (Early British Railways 1948-1956) and era 5 (Late British Railways 1956-1968). 

The location is somewhere where the Midland, Eastern and North Eastern regions of British Railways meet. The station and surrounding areas belongs to the Midland region but locos and rolling stock from the other regions are used on the line regularly. 

Anyway, We are in the process of installing the higher up running line on the layout and it'll have two bridges: one to hide the entrance to the fiddle yard and the other will have road vehicles passing underneath. 

The rail bridge

IMG_20220929_194011_307.jpg.b4334cc2ea234bae97bf05d04261633b.jpg

The track that will go on the curve will be flexi-track as you can move it into any position you want. The rest of the track with be Hornby. 

IMG_20220929_193724_194.jpg.18ae1bb39e824e2cdd9a626bf105efe7.jpg

I've not decided the location for the other bridge yet. Ideally, the whole thing could be moved so it's parallel with the back scene but I'll work with what I have.

IMG_20220929_194715_971.jpg.1c2425c895ea6b1da6fbb961f41065ae.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Viaduct built for the EM Wharfeside project, based on Lobb Ghyll Viaduct in Wharfedale near Leeds.

Advice taken years ago from 'Gravy Train' (Hi Ya)  on using embossed plastic sheet of various scales for the piers, sides and parapets.

Plywood frame with 3mm plastic sheet pinned on then clad in embossed stone from EMA (Plastruct) using limoline solvent glue.

Copied from a Midland Railway drawing of Lobb Ghyll Viaduct.

Viaduct.JPG.0fc7df02792663f3eca84701b87422ba.JPG

Scenic work is now progressing on the steep valley sides.

Dave Franks.

• Like 6