Jump to content

Edinburgh North, late 80s Railfreight


Auchend1nny
 Share

Recommended Posts

A few more pics of the layout under conversion;

 

Board track joints in DCC concepts pre-tinned sleeper strips - once ballasted and weathered I hope they will be virtually un-noticeable.

IMG_4064.jpeg.e44e15e2b28719cc4c5649fb7cc34462.jpeg

 

Simple fiddle yard;

IMG_4446.jpeg.6ca2f101a7fc75313fbd61a764b89d6d.jpeg

 

Track laying in EM almost complete, just the three siding ends and buffers to lay...

IMG_4478.jpeg.9345ad25edda5cd6d24d9607117e5ed7.jpeg

 

 

Mark

 

  • Like 10
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, the buses are converted EFE Atlanteans, every second window bar was filed out, new glazing made up, repainted and home made transfers.

At some point I’ll get around to light weathering and some wing mirrors.

  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work. Looks like an interesting project.

 

The 4 storey stone buildings look great and work well as a view blocker and the Lothian buses look just right.

 

Scottish 1980s BR Speedlink.. what's not to like.

 

I'll be following with interest.

dt 19.2.19 001new.jpg

Edited by Alcanman
error
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If this is based on the bridge at Trinity Crescent, then you would only have traffic going in one direction at a time.  The tram pinch was controlled by traffic lights as it was not wide enough for two way traffic.

 

Best wishes 

 

Roddy

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Alcanman said:

Nice work. Looks like an interesting project.

 

The 4 storey stone buildings look great and work well as a view blocker and the Lothian buses look just right.

 

Scottish 1980s BR Speedlink.. what's not to like.

 

I'll be following with interest.

dt 19.2.19 001new.jpg

Cheers, I was a big fan of your Springburn layout.

  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Roddy Angus said:

If this is based on the bridge at Trinity Crescent, then you would only have traffic going in one direction at a time.  The tram pinch was controlled by traffic lights as it was not wide enough for two way traffic.

 

Best wishes 

 

Roddy

Hi, it’s not specifically meant to be Trinity, more a generic, fictional Leith or Granton. 
I am though working on the train seen here lifting the Granton branch line in 1986.


http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/0_edin_t/0_edinburgh_transport_railways_lower_granton_road_removing_the_track_1986_looking_nw.htm

 

It’s 47301 pulling a bolster wagon, a turbot and a brake van.

 

Mark

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Auchend1nny said:

Hi, it’s not specifically meant to be Trinity, more a generic, fictional Leith or Granton

Take it as a compliment Mark. To me it shouted that it was where the Trinity branch crossed the road and joined the raised line along the Wardie shore line.

 

I look forward to seeing more photos as it develops.

 

Best wishes

 

Roddy

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Auchend1nny said:

Cheers, I was a big fan of your Springburn layout.

Thanks. I'm hoping to do another version of Springburn but in the meantime, I'll enjoy watching your build. Looks great so far.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Tenements and Busses are fantastic, I'd love a couple of them in 7mm, but nothing out there at the moment. Once back on the layout I may look at options to scratch build the Tenements at least, but we'll see

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree with Roddy, very definitely suggestive of the shore along at Granton. Additionally the pub on the corner is very suggestive of many establishment along the whole of the Leith and shore area and the buses tell their own story.

 

Perhaps a couple of 'trainspotters' could complete the scene, although not the type with pads and pens. More the Irvine Welsh type trainspotters.

  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies, very encouraging.

Here’s the locos I have so far, all in various stages of completion;

Heljan class 26, livery as it came but weathered with brushed on water-based oil paints.

I’ve got some laserglaze for it but not been brave enough to attempt fitting it yet. 
Otherwise just needs buffer beam pipes and the like.

And a good dusting judging from the photo!

F12B4FEB-FB0B-4127-A056-9C3BC7D09AA7.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lastly a Bachman 08, repainted and with etched steps from PDK. This is 08570 of Haymarket.

Not yet got around to converting this to EM - bit trickier than the other engines.

Again needs the laserglaze fitted and pipes etc..

78AA7E42-1503-4E12-8F20-141B86314ED8.jpeg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

Agree with Roddy, very definitely suggestive of the shore along at Granton. Additionally the pub on the corner is very suggestive of many establishment along the whole of the Leith and shore area and the buses tell their own story.

 

Perhaps a couple of 'trainspotters' could complete the scene, although not the type with pads and pens. More the Irvine Welsh type trainspotters.

Cheers, aye definitely going for a bit of late eighties bleakness!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark, that's really impressive. Although the track layout is different, this is really reminiscent of a place in Edinburgh, though I am damned if I can remember where. It had a chip shop on the corner, with the railway up on the embankment. Based on the stock that went past it might well have been the Edinburgh- Carstairs line.

Instantly recognisable- even without the AN68 Atlanteans (I can still recall their growling engines and the 'peep' of the fast-changing (for the era) pneumocylic gearboxes.)

 

Followed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...