Edinburgh North, late 80s Railfreight

Auchend1nny

13 hours ago, Auchend1nny said:

Thanks for all the replies, very encouraging.

Here’s the locos I have so far, all in various stages of completion;

Heljan class 26, livery as it came but weathered with brushed on water-based oil paints.

I’ve got some laserglaze for it but not been brave enough to attempt fitting it yet. 
Otherwise just needs buffer beam pipes and the like.

And a good dusting judging from the photo!

F12B4FEB-FB0B-4127-A056-9C3BC7D09AA7.jpeg

:wub:  That's wonderful, bud!

Layout looks amazing though I'd be creeping under that bridge in a decker, given the limited headroom.:)

Tenement looking fantastic too.

To me, this couldn't be anywhere else in the world but Leith.

Followed. :)

Davy.

Edited by Mad McCann
Context.

20 hours ago, Auchend1nny said:

Thanks, the tenements are made from a material called Foamex, you can buy sheets of it off eBay fairly cheap. I then carve the stone courses with an old dart. It’s much softer than plasticard but still holds its shape and seems to stay square. After that it’s painted with acrylic artist paints. The sash windows are from Smart Models.

Progress on them has stalled a bit the last few months while I’ve been relaying the track but I’ll hopefully get back to them soon.

Mark

I keep reading about this Foamex stuff, I'll have to get hold of some and have a play.  Those buildings would be absolutely perfect for our 7mm venture. 

• RMweb Premium

Hi there,

This is impressive and oozes atmosphere.  Your first photo is reminiscent of the line that came down from Powderhall to Granton, and was only ripped up in the '80s.  At the foot of the gradient the line took an almost ninety degree turn as it crossed the local road, and continued down an embankment to the harbour area.  Although the line and bridge are long gone, it has only been a couple of years since they sorted out the road junction underneath it.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Regards,

Alex.

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, millerhillboy said:

The pub and the paper shop are superb as well. Really like the Edinburgh Evening news markings, superbly observed.

The paper shop transfers are based on a newsagents on Broughton St. 

It still has the old Evening News branding on it.

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

:wub:  That's wonderful, bud!

Layout looks amazing though I'd be creeping under that bridge in a decker, given the limited headroom.:)

Tenement looking fantastic too.

To me, this couldn't be anywhere else in the world but Leith.

Followed. :)

Davy.

Might need some flashing lights on it! 

20 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

Mark, that's really impressive. Although the track layout is different, this is really reminiscent of a place in Edinburgh, though I am damned if I can remember where. It had a chip shop on the corner, with the railway up on the embankment. Based on the stock that went past it might well have been the Edinburgh- Carstairs line.

Instantly recognisable- even without the AN68 Atlanteans (I can still recall their growling engines and the 'peep' of the fast-changing (for the era) pneumocylic gearboxes.)

Followed.

There’s a couple of over bridges like that on Gorgie Road. Thanks 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, D6775 said:

I keep reading about this Foamex stuff, I'll have to get hold of some and have a play.  Those buildings would be absolutely perfect for our 7mm venture. 

There’s plenty on eBay, not as cheap as it used to be though. I generally use the 2mm thick stuff in A4 sheets as that gives a scale wall thickness of 150mm (6”). I then strengthen inside with scrap card and cheaper stuff. You’d probably want 3 or 5mm for models in O gauge.
Carves so easily with anything pointy and the marks stay. 

There’s usually a thin plastic film on one or both sides, remember to peel it off before you work with it.

19 minutes ago, Alex TM said:

Hi there,

This is impressive and oozes atmosphere.  Your first photo is reminiscent of the line that came down from Powderhall to Granton, and was only ripped up in the '80s.  At the foot of the gradient the line took an almost ninety degree turn as it crossed the local road, and continued down an embankment to the harbour area.  Although the line and bridge are long gone, it has only been a couple of years since they sorted out the road junction underneath it.

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Regards,

Alex.

Yep, that’s just the kind of look I’m going for.

thanks

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic modelling. The tenement and paper shop are superb. As for the pub, it looks almost exactly like a watering hole we used to go into for refreshments after training. It wasn't green then but I've just looked on google and its green now. Thanks for bringing back some great memories. Looking forward to watching this develop.

PJ10 

• Thanks 1

On 23/02/2021 at 09:57, Derekstuart said:

Mark, that's really impressive. Although the track layout is different, this is really reminiscent of a place in Edinburgh, though I am damned if I can remember where. It had a chip shop on the corner, with the railway up on the embankment. Based on the stock that went past it might well have been the Edinburgh- Carstairs line.

Instantly recognisable- even without the AN68 Atlanteans (I can still recall their growling engines and the 'peep' of the fast-changing (for the era) pneumocylic gearboxes.)

Followed.

Sounds like it could be in Gorgie. Used to live in both Gorgie and Roseburn. The layout is excellent and very reminiscent of Edinburgh / Leith.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2021 at 23:09, Auchend1nny said:

Also needs glazing - must be my least favourite job, always end up with glue on fingers and the glazing.

There are ways of avoiding that.

My favoured way of flush glazing is to use 0.5mm acrylic sheet with each individual window pane filed to be a tight fit (usually with a slightly tapered edge) in the window aperture – no glue needed. It's a time consuming job but well worth the effort.

If using something like Laserglaze then secure with a little gloss varnish or Johnsons Klear 'painted' around the edges.

In any case, going around the edges with a black marker pen before fixing will improve the appearance and cut down on internal reflections.

HTH,

David

PS. Super modelling!

14 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

There are ways of avoiding that.

My favoured way of flush glazing is to use 0.5mm acrylic sheet with each individual window pane filed to be a tight fit (usually with a slightly tapered edge) in the window aperture – no glue needed. It's a time consuming job but well worth the effort.

If using something like Laserglaze then secure with a little gloss varnish or Johnsons Klear 'painted' around the edges.

In any case, going around the edges with a black marker pen before fixing will improve the appearance and cut down on internal reflections.

HTH,

David

PS. Super modelling!

Thanks for the tip, I’ll try with the gloss varnish. I always thought Klear was no longer available?

Mark 

On 21/02/2021 at 18:18, Auchend1nny said:

A few more pics of the layout under conversion;

Board track joints in DCC concepts pre-tinned sleeper strips - once ballasted and weathered I hope they will be virtually un-noticeable.

IMG_4064.jpeg.e44e15e2b28719cc4c5649fb7cc34462.jpeg

Simple fiddle yard;

IMG_4446.jpeg.6ca2f101a7fc75313fbd61a764b89d6d.jpeg

Track laying in EM almost complete, just the three siding ends and buffers to lay...

IMG_4478.jpeg.9345ad25edda5cd6d24d9607117e5ed7.jpeg

Mark

Hi Mark,

Just catching up with your layout. The buildings are superb. Can you please let me have the correct description of the DCC Concepts track section that you are using to bridge the join as I can't seem to find it on their website. Cheers, Bill.

On 04/03/2021 at 19:57, Dunmar said:

Hi Mark,

Just catching up with your layout. The buildings are superb. Can you please let me have the correct description of the DCC Concepts track section that you are using to bridge the join as I can't seem to find it on their website. Cheers, Bill.

Thanks very much. 
The product I used were these;

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/legacy-models-80x-pre-etched-sleepers-1-6mm-4mm-scale-straight-track/

I’d bought a packet a while back for a project that never got anywhere. What I did was break off three sleepers at a time, still joined together  - on one side of the join I broke off the ends of the middle sleeper outside the rails. On the other side of the board join I broke off the ends of the two outside sleepers. When you put it together it looks like the sleeper spacing continues across the joint. When I do the ballasting I’ll ballast over the the shortened sleepers and hopefully hide them.

Here’s a pic showing  both types of trimmed sleepers side by side. On the adjoining board that’s reversed...

Hope that makes sense!

The remaining 60 odd sleepers I used for my fiddle yard..

Mark 

IMG_4072.jpeg

IMG_4064.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 1