Edinburgh North, late 80s Railfreight

Auchend1nny

On 04/03/2021 at 20:51, steve1 said:

Impressed with what you have achieved so far. Definitely my kind of layout.

Have you tried Glue''n'Glaze for fitting the Lazerglaze? Works for me.

https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/glue-n-glaze

steve

Thanks. Yeah I do have a bottle of that, I used it on the buses you can see in the photos. It’s very good but I still got sticky fingerprints on half the glazing! I think it’s maybe more a technique issue than materials..

cheers, Mark

• Like 1

On 22/02/2021 at 22:27, Auchend1nny said:

Thanks, the tenements are made from a material called Foamex, you can buy sheets of it off eBay fairly cheap. I then carve the stone courses with an old dart. It’s much softer than plasticard but still holds its shape and seems to stay square. After that it’s painted with acrylic artist paints. The sash windows are from Smart Models.

Progress on them has stalled a bit the last few months while I’ve been relaying the track but I’ll hopefully get back to them soon.

Mark

4E0F8170-661C-46EF-A9B4-4D474ECBA012.jpeg

6DF14141-D7F0-4213-B839-6667E0506F01.jpeg

9672DBD9-68CC-488E-98F5-07B686D11E30.jpeg

My last Edinburgh flat was near the Asda at Granton and you have nailed the Western Leith/ Trinity/ Granton look to a T. I'm not convinced this isn't the Prom Bar. 

• Like 1

On 09/03/2021 at 12:33, 60B said:

My last Edinburgh flat was near the Asda at Granton and you have nailed the Western Leith/ Trinity/ Granton look to a T. I'm not convinced this isn't the Prom Bar. 

Thanks, wasn’t familiar with prom bar but looked it up and yeah, it’s pretty similar. The model is based on bits of a fair few establishments I’ve been to over the years - check out the Speedwell in Dundee.

Cheers, Mark 

Mark, if you're in the market for more Lothian buses, might I recommend George at Sunrise Models and Transfers.

He does a good range of short run resin kits and all the transfers you could need.

No connection other than very satisfied customer.

http://www.sunrisetransfers.com/cat/part041.html

All the best.

Davy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mad McCann said:

Mark, if you're in the market for more Lothian buses, might I recommend George at Sunrise Models and Transfers.

He does a good range of short run resin kits and all the transfers you could need.

No connection other than very satisfied customer.

http://www.sunrisetransfers.com/cat/part041.html

All the best.

Davy.

Cheers for that, wasn’t aware of them. Their stuff looks really good. Would’ve been really useful for my buses! Next time though..

Mark

• Like 1

On 13/03/2021 at 23:26, Auchend1nny said:

A147C034-039E-421B-85E0-6FA6F5775D7C.jpeg

4CB5D6B3-8459-41A0-914C-39B3F1BD13CB.jpeg

7B9F2ADC-B769-41B9-86EE-3F18D9506DCE.jpeg

Do you add any mod to stop the wandering axles? Certainly worth doing. 

Appreciate the pipework but, from experience, they do add to the fun of using 3 link couplings...

steve

6 hours ago, steve1 said:

Do you add any mod to stop the wandering axles? Certainly worth doing. 

Appreciate the pipework but, from experience, they do add to the fun of using 3 link couplings...

steve

On these ones I replaced the w-irons with etched brass ones but yes they are fixed in place and don’t swivel. Much smoother ride and fine if you don’t have any sharp curves on your layout.

Yeah, I did start to wonder if the pipes were a good idea right after fitting them - I guess I’ll see how it goes when I get the layout properly running!

Cheers, Mark 

• Like 1

Came across this thread by chance and can say never has a layout brought back so many memoirs of happier days than yours has.

Although living all my life on the south coast my grandparents lived in Beaverhall Road off Broughton Road where I spent many happy holidays so the Bar, shop and tenement look so familiar to me.

My club are building a harbour layout and wanted a Fish Dock so I built this, I think you might recognize the building, it is based on a much larger one not a million miles away from that Trinity Corner.

Fantastic modelling will follow with pleasure.

IMG_8668.jpeg.21166f4eac9a8dc213082c59a0152343.jpegIMG_8669.jpeg.a2c9f50fdf3e9bb2fa5f68d19de7dbad.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Yankee said:

Came across this thread by chance and can say never has a layout brought back so many memoirs of happier days than yours has.

Although living all my life on the south coast my grandparents lived in Beaverhall Road off Broughton Road where I spent many happy holidays so the Bar, shop and tenement look so familiar to me.

My club are building a harbour layout and wanted a Fish Dock so I built this, I think you might recognize the building, it is based on a much larger one not a million miles away from that Trinity Corner.

Fantastic modelling will follow with pleasure.

IMG_8668.jpeg.21166f4eac9a8dc213082c59a0152343.jpegIMG_8669.jpeg.a2c9f50fdf3e9bb2fa5f68d19de7dbad.jpeg

Thanks very much.

Wow, that’s tremendous, Newhaven fishmarket.

What’s it made from if you don’t mind sharing your techniques? The bricks look fantastic.

Mark

Thanks Mark for the compliment, but it’s nothing compared with your tenement building.

The scale is OO and  is my first scratch built building, following the guidance from fellow club members. The main structure is 3 mm ply, with balsa added as necessary to create the profile of the building, wish I had known about foamex before. The upper stone work is Slaters 0420 7mm Stone Courses, lower stone work  0424 4mm Dressed Stone, wood planking Slaters 0434 4mm planking. Corners Stones Wills Quions , Door shutters Plastruct 91510 N scale corrugated siding and roof tiles York Modelmaking self adhesive tiles range. The windows were 3D printed by a club member.  Down Pipes were from the ModelU  Architectural Gutting, Pipes and Fittings Range.

The clubs proposed Harbour layout includes an upper level with a small terminus station. I tried my hardest to convince them to base it on Leith Citadel, but they just kept saying the platforms are too short l to be prototypical.

Ian

2031964181_fishdockinnerroof.jpg.d0a1859349aea6f932c38772cd20cafa.jpg867276186_fishdockunderside.jpg.11ab1e4b4c1570ff8b3d856fc8d851c5.jpgIMG_6327.jpeg.65e4176604d2a8f828a96cb6f5b00dc3.jpegIMG_9126.jpeg.1e88876bc5d05e7f8fe4e260a5ab4b68.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Update on the big tenement - basic roof structure now on.

Appropriately for a pub roof I had to sacrifice 12 cans on brewdog lager to build it!

Just needs slates to the pitches, zinc flat section, rooflight and chimneys now.

Mark

IMG_5526.jpeg

IMG_5527.jpeg

IMG_5531.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

On 21/02/2021 at 18:13, Auchend1nny said:

Thought I'd start a thread on my layout, as yet unnamed, set in Edinburgh / Leith in the mid to late 1980s. 

I started it a couple of years ago in OO gauge but over the last few months I've been converting it to EM and added a second scenic board to extend its length. It's a simple three freight sidings with a loop and a single track off stage fiddle yard in total about 4.1m long, 2.9m of which is scenic. I'd made some progress with buildings, a road under bridge and some vehicles before deciding to make the switch to EM which of course meant tearing up all the track and ballast. I've managed to leave the scenery in place and untouched.

Operation is with a NCE Powercab DCC set up and a separate 9 volt circuit operating the four points which are a mix of three cobalts and a tortoise.

Here's a few pics, firstly of the layout prior to conversion;

IMG_3986.jpeg.c7ec303b9e8f1486ee328897a6ffc3dd.jpegIMG_3979.jpeg.ace80359ed24c24b17839af3f7616781.jpeg

This is the the basic layout with the OO track still in place and the new EM gauge track placed on top. The new extra board was in place for planning. The new EM track and points are Peco from the EMGS and have been great for making a quick start in the new gauge.

IMG_3970.jpeg.8c0557f53e1b54facc2b03d42d3f0764.jpeg

Mark

Cracking view blocker for entrance to fiddle yard....look forward to updates...do you plan on exhibiting....when allowed

10 hours ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Cracking view blocker for entrance to fiddle yard....look forward to updates...do you plan on exhibiting....when allowed

Thanks, not really thought that far ahead but the layout is portable so I guess it could be at exhibitions. I’d need to actually get it to somewhere approaching finished which is always the hardest part.

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slating almost complete. These are laser cut self adhesive strips of slate from York Modelmaking. Can’t recommend them enough - I’ve not found anything that looks closer to Scottish slate in 4mm scale.

Mark

IMG_5624.jpeg

IMG_5629.jpeg

IMG_5631.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

Well I’d hoped to finally get the tenement finished this weekend but not quite there yet. Almost though.

Slight miscalculation on the number of chimney pots I needed so I’ve got to wait on extras coming from smart models. Otherwise just painting then the glass cupola to fit.

Then maybe I’ll try to get onto ballasting the track or something.

Mark

IMG_5667.jpeg

IMG_5665.jpeg

IMG_5663.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1