Edinburgh North, late 80s Railfreight

Auchend1nny

On 07/04/2021 at 21:06, luckymucklebackit said:

Brilliant stuff, reminds me of the Leith Baltic Street layout that appeared on New Railway Modellers.

Jim

Thanks. Aye that was a cracking layout. Just looked it up but none of the photos seem to display anymore, pity.

Mark

My two class 47s have had their chips and speakers fitted, a job I’d been putting off for ages. Decided on mounting the speakers above the bogies on some roughly made plastic strip mounts rather than in the fuel tanks. 
The grey one will be 47550 ‘’University of Dundee’ in large logo blue. Not usually a freight loco but I’ve seen photos of other 47/4s on freight trains so I’m going to go with it.

Mark

IMG_5707.jpeg

IMG_5703.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Not a lot of progress lately, the unusually dry weather has meant attending to a few outdoor jobs. This evening however I’ve fitted the laserglaze to the cl 37 and I’m pretty chuffed with it. A bit fiddly but worth the effort.
Also made a new axle (one of them was slightly bent and causing a bit of a shudder.) 

I generally cut new axles from 2mm stainless steel rod  when I’m doing conversion to EM gauge.

Anyway here’s a couple of shots of 37073 idling at the yard entrance..

Mark

4C72B82E-A76C-4B5F-B1B4-179284B3926D.jpeg

15664A3D-CE6B-4C68-9A8A-F60850CB8092.jpeg

IMG_5903.jpeg

IMG_5906.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Are these your own scratch build, or bought?  I wanted one for the pub on my tenament but couldn't find anything.

Jim

Hi Jim, I scratch built them. 
They’re cobbled together on photoshop from images found on google. Then scaled and printed onto sticky paper labels. The labels are stuck onto suitable wee rectangles of plastic.

I could send you a pdf of them if you PM me.

Mark

Thanks Mark - PM sent

Found this surviving image on New Railway Modellers of Leith Baltic Street with Andrews pub sign (His is also a Tennant's Shop)

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13639&start=540#p575179

I thought that there was something in the text that described how he illuminated it but I can't find it.

Jim

1 hour ago, luckymucklebackit said:

Thanks Mark - PM sent

Found this surviving image on New Railway Modellers of Leith Baltic Street with Andrews pub sign (His is also a Tennant's Shop)

https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=13639&start=540#p575179

I thought that there was something in the text that described how he illuminated it but I can't find it.

Jim

Aye, that’s absolutely stunning. Different level. The pub interior too. Wow!

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 21/02/2021 at 18:13, Auchend1nny said:

Here's a few pics, firstly of the layout prior to conversion;

IMG_3986.jpeg.c7ec303b9e8f1486ee328897a6ffc3dd.jpegIMG_3979.jpeg.ace80359ed24c24b17839af3f7616781.jpeg

As others have said, the building just screams out Edinburgh, excellent. 

Interested to see the modifications  to the buses.  I was aware the original model was of the less common smaller windows version but had not thought about converting them until now.

• 4 weeks later...

It’s been about six months with the layout stored in the shed but finally got back to some model work today. 
Pavements and road surface primed and glued in with the backboard having been painted white.

401E71A6-E829-4E1E-83FD-18B796926459.jpeg

2FE1EF32-D578-4E5C-A446-C33F3C4CF6DB.jpeg

66ACB260-75D6-4E79-BF47-F7310CE8096B.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 2

On 01/11/2021 at 07:57, Waverley47708 said:

As others have said, the building just screams out Edinburgh, excellent. 

Interested to see the modifications  to the buses.  I was aware the original model was of the less common smaller windows version but had not thought about converting them until now.

Thanks, yes the buses had every second upright removed from between the windows, then had to cut new glazing to shape and fit in. It was a hassle but probably worth the effort in the end. I also had to modify around the engine at the back. The Edinburgh ones seemed to have pillar type bits at each side of the lower back windows. Plasticard and putty took care of that. Expect EFE will release a model of these any time now!

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does this look familiar?  The house to the right used to be a shop and the "gastropub" used to be a real dockers bar.  Corner of Baltic Street and Elbe Street, South Leith near Edinburgh.

image.png.28023107c8dce6ca642d6a95f85dfe14.png

As I said before, your models just scream LEITH!

Best wishes

Roddy

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Roddy Angus said:

It certainly does. And its making me homesick. Just hoping my trip north over Christmas isn't scuppered by COVID

Fantastic modelling.

PJ10

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Roddy Angus said:

Does this look familiar?  The house to the right used to be a shop and the "gastropub" used to be a real dockers bar.  Corner of Baltic Street and Elbe Street, South Leith near Edinburgh.

image.png.28023107c8dce6ca642d6a95f85dfe14.png

Best wishes

Roddy

Thanks. Certainly one of a few places I used as inspiration. Along with North Junction Street, Easter Road. Also Speedwell Bar in Dundee..

On 12/12/2021 at 23:39, Auchend1nny said:

And from street level..

2FF00AB5-0A21-49AA-8A2D-2F6707B306EE.jpeg

46882AC6-C04D-41CF-A96E-0DF2D89CA684.jpeg

Brilliant modelling, The Baltic is obviously a Free House, and as a minor addition I would add a transfer above the door indicating this.  For the benefit of the young/non-Scottish, most pubs in Scotland would have been owned by the brewery (so called tied houses) and the two main brewers in Scotland around this era would have been Tennant Caledonian (who made Tennants Lager) and Scotish and Newcastle (who made McEwans Export), so you would not have seen both of these signs ouside the one pub if it was a tied house.  There were a relatively small number of free houses and these were fiercely independant and proudly advertised their status outside the "shop" as they sold whatever beer they chose.  They were very popular with loyal patrons as they were percieved to serve good quality beer as slightly lower prices than the tied houses.

Jim

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 14/12/2021 at 13:21, luckymucklebackit said:

Brilliant modelling, The Baltic is obviously a Free House, and as a minor addition I would add a transfer above the door indicating this.  For the benefit of the young/non-Scottish, most pubs in Scotland would have been owned by the brewery (so called tied houses) and the two main brewers in Scotland around this era would have been Tennant Caledonian (who made Tennants Lager) and Scotish and Newcastle (who made McEwans Export), so you would not have seen both of these signs ouside the one pub if it was a tied house.  There were a relatively small number of free houses and these were fiercely independant and proudly advertised their status outside the "shop" as they sold whatever beer they chose.  They were very popular with loyal patrons as they were percieved to serve good quality beer as slightly lower prices than the tied houses.

Jim

Thanks for the heads up, very informative. I was too young to be in pubs in the late eighties!

I took the signs from this establishment in Dundee - I wasn’t there till late nineties though. Don’t think it’s changed since then.

D3CADDBD-7E1D-474E-BF6A-EE84A0152AD5.jpeg

Edited by Auchend1nny
Photos re-uploaded
  • Like 3