Stations with Castles

MyRule1

Following a comment I made in thread about my WW2 project regarding castles. I was wondering how many railway stations were within view of a castle? The two in my thread were Clare and Sible & Castle Hedingham (although the castle is somewhat distant from both the site of the original station and the preserved one. Two other  stations on preserved lines are Corfe Castle and Bodiam. Conway also immediately comes to mind.

There must be many more.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bike2steam said:

Barnard Castle.

You wouldn't have been able to see the castle from the station - even if you'd visited the opticians first.

How about Newcaste (upon Tyne). Durham.  Not sure about Alnwick or Berwick (sorry didn't see 31A's post)

Graham

Edited by bartram108
Add icomment
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bartram108 said:

You wouldn't have been able to see the castle from the station - even if you'd visited the opticians first.

How about Newcaste (upon Tyne). Durham.  Not sure about Alnwick or Berwick (sorry didn't see 31A's post)

Graham

Sorry, it was only meant as a joke!:sungum:

• RMweb Premium

There were a number where the castle was demolished in whole or part to make way for the station - Northampton and Fort William for instance. Though I suppose in the latter case, the demolished building was a fort rather than a castle.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Edinburgh Waverley (and Princes Street), Stirling and Ardrossan.

(Edit: and probably quite a few of the stations around Edinburgh - the castle is somewhat prominent.)

Edited by pH

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Does this count? 

Now that's branching out into castle-inspired railway architecture, which gives us any number of tunnel portals. Perhaps that's not a rabbit-hole to go down in this topic but needs one of its own?

Just now, eastglosmog said:

PS The railway does not strictly go through the castle walls at Conway - it goes through the town walls, the castle is separate.

Likewise York, though no longer used for railway purposes.

Edited by Compound2632

Caernarfon- both the original standard gauge and the new WHR station. 

There is the apocryphal story of the America visitor who said that Conway Castle was spectacular but why did they build it so close to the railroad!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2