Stations with Castles

MyRule1

You can see Llansteffan castle from trains going through Ferryside. Although I'm not sure if you can see the castle from the station itself (the footbridge is probably the best bet), this photo was taken not all that far from the station. 

Ferryside 'Lifeboat' (Towy Hover-Rescue)

Another one is Cardigan - railway long gone but I'm pretty sure you'd have been able to see at least parts of the station yard from the castle. A few years ago I did some messing around with Photoshop and created this (very much a fictional image - lots of things 'wrong' about it):

A Couple Of Castles (PSD)

• RMweb Gold

Alnwick Castle isn't visible from the station. Nor, as far as I'm aware, is Pickering. One possibility is Prudhoe in Northumberland — may be easier to see in winter when it will be less obscured by trees.

Knaresborough is a definite possibility. Just wondering if Richmond (Yorkshire) would have been visible from the station in that town. Didn't Castle Bolton once have a station on the Wensleydale line?

4 hours ago, caradoc said:

... another nowhere near Newark but adjacent to the line between Woodhall and Port Glasgow !

I thought about that one, but it’s not visible from either station. However, like Dumbarton castle from Langbank , it’s visible across the river from Cardross and  Craigendoran.

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Knaresborough is a definite possibility.

No - the station is in a cutting, the land rises from there towards the castle and there are also houses in the way.

Edited by pH
Change of preposition

• RMweb Gold

If you consider a fort a castle, then Newhaven Fort can be seen from Newhaven Harbour Station and the now disappeared Newhaven Marine was right opposite it. The fact that the fort is sunken into the crest of Castle Hill makes it somewhat less than visible. We now rely on coils of razor wire to keep them furrinners out. The first view was taken a few months back; the one from on top of the fort was taken back in 2009, when the catamaran ferry was still berthed there, although I think it went out of service a year or two earlier.

Newhaven Fort landward side 19 10 2020.jpg

Newhaven from the Fort 6 8 09.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Alnwick was mentioned earlier. You wouldn't see the castle but you can see the town wall's. From the road outside.

Ludgershall, on the MSWJR. From the civilian passenger station you have the village in the way,  but from the goods yard / military platforms you can see the castle outer embankments on which the walls once stood.

Between the two on Butt Street lived the ganger of the track at ludgershall..Who was also custodian of the castle ( he cut the grass, maintained fencing and chased the kids off the remains)...  My granddad.

Ps Butt Street. The Butts are where archery practice took place.

Edited by TheQ
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Pickering springs to mind. I'm fairly sure that Castell Dolbadarn can be seen from Llanberis station on the Snowdon Mountain and from Llanberis and Gilfach Ddu stations on the Llanberis Lake. The now-defunct Dudley Zoo miniature railway ran through the castle grounds which are the zoo's home. Denbigh Castle would have been clearly visible from the town's station, which is now the site of an Aldi. The mound which is all that remains of Huntingdon Castle is close to, but not I think visible from, the station. Scarborough Castle can be seen from Scalby Mills station on the North Bay Railway but not from the main line station nor from the site of Londesborough Road station.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The site of Sleaford castle is just beyond the end of the platform towards the West SB.

Tattershall station might have been discernable from the castle, trees permitting.

Lincoln castle might just be viewable from the higher points of the station and the new footbridge on the High Street, although the cathederal is much easier to see. It can definitely be seen from East Holmes crossing though.

Southsea would be visible across The Solent from both Ryde Esplanade and Pier on a clear day.