Stations with Castles

MyRule1

On 22/02/2021 at 13:45, Steven B said:

Bridgnorth on the SVR (also a cliff railway up the castle hill!)

The site of the Roman Fort in Manchester (Castlefield) is within sight of Deansgate and might have been visible from the L&M's station at Liverpool Road.

Scarborough?

Steven B.

The SVR also has an example of the station being there but the castle you could see from it having (since) gone - Arley.

ok, it was Victorian gothic rather than genuine medieval, but it had towers and battlements, and was visible from the station...

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2021 at 22:35, cornelius said:

Pevensey Castle is close to the railway but it's a year since I've been on a train so I can't remember if it's visible from either station. 

I am fairly sure it isn't visible from either Pevensey & Westham or Pevensey Bay. There are trees in the way and it isn't very tall. I haven't been to the far end of the Bay station and there is a possible sight-line from there.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, jonhall said:

Can Pickering Castle be seen from the NYMR or v/v? 

Yes and no. Before the roof was reinstated, one of the towers was visible from the south end of the station and from Platform 2, but nowadays you have to stand on the footbridge to see it. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3584395

• Agree 1

Northampton Castle station one of the castles smaller gates was re-built into a wall beside the approach road to the station, and there is part of a tower base atop the retaining wall on the other side of the road above where the BRSA club is/was.

3 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Yes and no. Before the roof was reinstated, one of the towers was visible from the south end of the station and from Platform 2, but nowadays you have to stand on the footbridge to see it. https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3584395

... and even then when the trees are not in full bloom!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A couple of Swedish examples that I can that I can think of:

Gothenburg - all the historical approach lines to the terminal had to pass the Skansen Lejonet fortress

Mariefred -  Gripsholm Castle is just a short walk away and easily visible from the station.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

It seems that Elephant and Castle is named after the Worship Guild of Cutlers that have a crest that shews an elephant with a castle on its back. No actual castles or even an elephant anywhere near, which although disappointing I thought the story interesting enough to relay.

Nice try but no cigar !

Gibbo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

It seems that Elephant and Castle is named after the Worship Guild of Cutlers that have a crest that shews an elephant with a castle on its back. No actual castles or even an elephant anywhere near, which although disappointing I thought the story interesting enough to relay.

Nice try but no cigar !

Gibbo.

I wonder howdah that came about?

On 22/02/2021 at 16:23, The Johnster said:

Raglan.  Possibly Cilgerran.  If our definition is UK rather than GB, Carrickfergus.  If we include Iron Age fortifications, Maiden, Uffington, possibly Carn Brea, Dinas Bran, Malvern...

Debatable whether Carn Brea should actually be called a castle, even though the GWR thought so!

Originally, I believe you could see St Mawes castle from the very end of Falmouth station. Pendennis too high up.

On 01/03/2021 at 13:42, Compound2632 said:

Leeds Castle cannot be seen from Leeds station; neither can Alton Towers be seen from Alton station.

There was an Alton Towers station though. Still there. No idea whether either is visible from the other though.

There was also a narrow gauge railway in the grounds and a fantastic model railway in the house.

Not Pendonesque, but a proper entertaining model railway. Unfortunately now gone.

Jason