Help with CV’s.

Dan Griffin

Afternoon. 

Question for those qualified in all things DCC. I can programme cv’s but am clueless as to which ones do what.  

I have a chip, Bachmann 36-553 i think, hard wire fitted to a circa 1995 Hornby battle of britain 501 Squadron, 

Works well running but judders alot when at slow speeds, and starting off.  

Can anyone advise of the CV’s to alter, and to what, to make it run smooth?

I also have a Hornby 4f, also hard wire fitted. What cv’s do i alter to make it move off slower? 

Thanks in advance. 

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Dan Griffin said:

Afternoon. 

Question for those qualified in all things DCC. I can programme cv’s but am clueless as to which ones do what.  

I have a chip, Bachmann 36-553 i think, hard wire fitted to a circa 1995 Hornby battle of britain 501 Squadron, 

Works well running but judders alot when at slow speeds, and starting off.  

Can anyone advise of the CV’s to alter, and to what, to make it run smooth?

I also have a Hornby 4f, also hard wire fitted. What cv’s do i alter to make it move off slower? 

Thanks in advance. 

CV3 governs acceleration, and CV4 deceleration. Put small figures in to start with, say 20 and 10 respectively. Trial and error from then on. If your system is able to do Programming On The Main, these things are a whole lot easier. 

• Like 1

It's CVs 54 and 55 that  need adjusting to eliminate jerky starting and stopping.

CV 54 affects starting and CV55 that controls stopping.  There used to be a chart with suggested values on the Bachmann site but it seems to have been taken down since their website was updated.

• Informative/Useful 1

59 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

CV3 governs acceleration, and CV4 deceleration. Put small figures in to start with, say 20 and 10 respectively. Trial and error from then on. If your system is able to do Programming On The Main, these things are a whole lot easier. 

I would avoid POM unless you know what your doing

24 minutes ago, Andymsa said:

I would avoid POM unless you know what your doing

Why? You can't read back, which can be inconvenient, but you can only program one loco at a time.

Are you confusing it with some "train set" systems that do service mode programming on the whole layout and can reprogram every loco?