Selecting shunting mode on Loksound V5L

Stringfingerling

F17 allows me to enter shunting mode on my Loksound V5L.  It works fine - as long as I have already run the loco - however briefly in normal mode.  I would like to be able to start "from cold" in shunting mode, as the nature of my layout means I do not normally want to use the "normal mode".   Is there a way around this please?

Edited by Stringfingerling

Yes,  could alter the CV programming so F17 was now "not F17" to engage shunt mode, and "F17" puts the loco into normal mode.   its a single CV change.   From the last time I setup a LokSound decoder, I'm pretty sure that will work from first selection of the loco as on initial selection it will be "not F17".  

But, "which CV" is a more complicated question.  Depends who wrote the sound project, and how they set it up.  So, they could tell you what to change.     Or, if you have a computer interface, you could read the function mapping in JMRI and make the change.   Doing it manually is reading potentially 72 different CV's to find which one applies.   

- Nigel

1 hour ago, Richard Croft said:

Read CV5 which is maximum speed then halve it, this will limit the top speed of the loco to half of its current speed, like shunting mode does

Richard

Hi Richard, I know that works as a way of reducing the speed range, but I also want to make use of the much quieter and gentler chuffs that are available in shunt mode.

1 hour ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Yes,  could alter the CV programming so F17 was now "not F17" to engage shunt mode, and "F17" puts the loco into normal mode.   its a single CV change.   From the last time I setup a LokSound decoder, I'm pretty sure that will work from first selection of the loco as on initial selection it will be "not F17".  

But, "which CV" is a more complicated question.  Depends who wrote the sound project, and how they set it up.  So, they could tell you what to change.     Or, if you have a computer interface, you could read the function mapping in JMRI and make the change.   Doing it manually is reading potentially 72 different CV's to find which one applies.   

- Nigel

Thanks Nigel, an interesting idea.  I'll get in touch with the person who I believe did the sound project.