Upgrading an older boxcar

steve1

I've started work on this 'bargain basement' boxcar as I like to do something approaching real modelling now and again.

Started weathering the roof and sides. I may replace the roofwalk with a Kadee item if I still have one in the stores.

The original trucks were horrible plug in ones with attached horn hooks. They are being replaced but I need to put filler in the plug holes and use self tappers to fit the replacement trucks. Metal wheels will also be added in due course. I will drill and tap the chassis and weight to take Kadee coupler boxes with their nylon screws.

It passes the time...

steve

IMG_1402.JPG

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Looks good, one of my first ever US projects was a  Model Power  Rock Island 40 footer that scrubbed up quite nicely. I found Styrene tube was a good way to reduce the truck mounting holes and could be tapped 8BA. Would wooden roof walks be an option on a car that age?

Edited by doctor quinn
  • Thanks 1

Some more progress.

Image 1 -  Test fitting of trucks.

Image 2 - Tapping the thread for the Kadee screw after drilling holes in the fitted weight.

Image 3 - Coupler box test fitted. I have had to use long couplers, luckily I have a drawer full of Kadee envelopes of odd sizes! It’s possible I could have mounted the box further forward...

Irritatingly I bent two of the end footsteps when trimming the ends to allow the coupler box to lie flat. These have been glued and strengthened with short lengths of plastic strips behind them.

The ‘chassis’ is now drying after a blast of rattle can satin black.

steve

76BDFEA6-17D5-4276-951D-8B63A1F8E801.jpeg

DE0C6F79-757C-4BDD-A38E-F6DB9CEB4DBA.jpeg

84AAE1AE-4CC0-49D2-9859-FBBEE4705107.jpeg

Edited by steve1
Extra info
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, doctor quinn said:

Looks good, one of my first ever US projects was a  Model Power  Rock Island 40 footer that scrubbed up quite nicely. I found Styrene tube was a good way to reduce the truck mounting holes and could be tapped 8BA. Would wooden roof walks be an option on a car that age?

Thanks Doc.

I have used tube sleeving on another project but I didn’t have anything suitable for this one.

steve

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1

i’m calling this done. It just needs new wheels and these are on order. Whether the TH&B let their cars get into this state I don’t know but I like it.

steve

032B998A-924E-4E94-8100-89E7165C3D9B.jpeg

AF124D91-0C20-4AC8-9D48-178ABEFB21DC.jpeg

• Like 7