Hom Track cleaning wagon

stevep

• RMweb Premium

Bemo make (made?) one in RhB branding, item number 2282-143 in their standard range. I have found it to operate adequately - I usually push it around the layout with a suitable locomotive (to avoid getting dirt/dust on the locomotive's wheels).

Bemo also make track cleaners in their metal range - I think one of the snowploughs (not the rotary one) has the ability to attach pads beneath.

There may well be other brands available too.

Edited by DIW
tpyo

Many thanks for that info on the Bemo wagon sounds like the solution to my requirements. I have only recently returned to making a new layout and must admit to be a little out of date with what is available, but will now look at getting hold of this track cleaning wagon and will adopt your idea of pushing rather than pulling the wagon.

Once again many thanks DIW.

• RMweb Premium

The best are probably are the CMX track cleaner (Expensive brass American)  - swap the HO bogies for HOm or the Sharge (cheaper plastic Scottish) version of the same, also swap the bogies.

Edited by JimFin

Thanks Jim was aware of the CMX but have not come across the Sharge version so will have a look at there version. I like the idea of changing the bogies my main concern with the CMX is its weight in relation to Bemo  Hom locomotives and their haulage capability of a heavy brass wagon. 

More homework to do, many thanks for your suggestions.

I have the metal snowplough and the box van BEMO offerings. They do a good job but you have to clean off the rubber on the bottom with some meths or similar. (But be careful as it can remove the lettering..).

The box car coupling pins that attach the coupler to the chassis are not up to the job so I replaced one of them with a small screw. Most of the Bo-Bo locomotives can handle both at the same time. 

I find I have to still use a track rubber on some places; usually where there is a bump at a rail break or where I have a soldered feed.  Even if I can't feel a bump at these points there still seems to be a black mark there; one of life's mysteries I guess...

• Like 1

Many thanks to you all for info and pictures, leaning towards the Sharge at the moment but will continue to keep the old track rubber available for those stubborn areas that I'm sure will still persist, as you point out in your reply Salmotrutta.

Nice looking layout their Jimfin

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Salmotrutta said:

a track rubber

2 hours ago, stevep said:

the old track rubber

Ooh, you've done it now! The anti-track-rubber brigade will sense this and come running! :bomb_mini:

We haven't had a track rubber 'debate' for a while. (I make no comment for or against). I wonder if Deliveroo or Just Eat can bring me  some popcorn....  :lol:

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, DIW said:

Ooh, you've done it now! The anti-track-rubber brigade will sense this and come running! :bomb_mini:

We haven't had a track rubber 'debate' for a while. (I make no comment for or against). I wonder if Deliveroo or Just Eat can bring me  some popcorn....  :lol:

As I live in the USA a "rubber" is something else entirely. When I ask for a track rubber I usually get a response like "you planning to lay some track"....

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Another, and relatively cheap, solution is these:

https://www.noch.de/de/reinigungszwerge.html

They clip simply to H0m wagons' axles (rigid rather than bogie stock).  My own experience is limited as my layout is still under construction, but my guess is that they are reasonably effective but probably wouldn't eradicate more stubborn dirt, as there isn't much weight pressing down on the pads.  But they certainly do turn black, implying something is happening!

At the other end of the cost scale, I've had one of these on pre-order for about a year now - maybe it might actually one day come into existence...! -

https://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/Funktionsmodelle/Reinigungswagen/LUX-9650/de/modell_263459.html

Would I be right (dare I ask, but I'm a beginner too!) that the track-rubber debate relates to the dust that they obviously do create?  They don't half get the rails clean though....!

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 37201xoIM said:

Would I be right (dare I ask, but I'm a beginner too!) that the track-rubber debate relates to the dust that they obviously do create?  They don't half get the rails clean though....!

Here you are, a thread from 2015 - we haven't heard from Kenton for a couple of years now (shame - he was always a good Devil's advocate, and at least made me consider a different view in the threads in which he appeared), but he is one with a strong view on the subject.