Hatfield (Herts) loco shed engine diagrams

DSC

I wonder if anyone can help with this. A couple of years ago I bought from Working Timetable Reprints a copy of the Kings Cross District Passenger Engine & Enginemen's Diagrams for summer 1953. Having spent a lot of time in my youth spotting at Hatfield station, I was fascinated to see the No. 2 diagram for Hatfield loco reproduced below and specifically the shuttling back and forth to Ayot that took place between 3.00am and 4.57 am, when (depending on the day) up to four return trips were made. 

I can only think that it was a succession of trains to Blackbridge refuse siding between Ayot and Wheathampstead, presumably going out loaded and returning with the brake van, though the timings seem pretty tight to achieve this. However, I find it hard to imagine that the loading for this required 3-4 trains a day, six days a week (the trains also ran on Saturday). Does anyone have any knowledge of what was going on? Also, the abbreviations used: I know that 'L' is light engine and 'Gds' is goods train, but am not sure what is indicated by 'LA' and 'Gds.A.'.

Finally, I would strongly recommend the Working Timetable Reprints site to anyone who has not heard of it.Scan.pdf

Edited by DSC