1957- Southern Region to North Eastern Region train formations

AHW

Hi all,

As yet I do not have a track plan yet alone a board to place it on, but I am collecting rolling stock in significant quantities. I think I have acquired most of the Hornby Gresley coaching stock that has been produced, and I have a significant number of the Bachmann MK1 coaches in E numbering.

Recently I was intrigued to see that trains ran from the south coast to the north and north east eg Bournemouth to Newcastle which led me to think I would acquire some southern region stock for these services.

Does anybody have any of these formations already, or any knowledge of what they might be? Would they be simply S prefix MK1s or would there have been some Bulleid or Maunsell stock?

Would be interested to know if anyone has comments.

Many Thanks

Alistair

Woops - sent my previous unfinished in error!  In 1957 set 880 was:-

S34261  BSK

S24316  SK

#         SK    see A

S3913    SO

#         RKB  see B

#         SO    see C

S15900   CK

S15038   CK

S34262   BSK 

Coaches # were "not stencilled with set number" and were ex SR.  'A' could have been Maunsell or Bulleid - I lean towards the latter.  'B' was No. S7955S, a Maunsell RKB, diagram 2667, converted from a Maunsell RF (as per Hornby) in 1953.  Could be a relatively simple rebuild of the Hornby RF - or keep the corridor side towards the viewer as that was unaltered in the rebuild!  'C' was a Maunsell SO - Hornby's model of Diagram. 2005 SO would suffice.   

On Mons, Weds and Fris set 880 went North; on Tues, Thurs and Sats it returned South to Bournemouth.

Chris KT

• Informative/Useful 1

There are photos around of this service composed of a Bulleid set, long after the Mk1 set was provided, so there must have been occasions when substitutions were made due to maintenance etc. I know a guy who regularly used to see the train during the 1950s, and he has told me that Bulleid sets were not uncommon. I have also seen a photo showing it composed of a Maunsell set (number not visible) in 1954. And, have a look at this https://www.flickr.com/photos/robmcrorie/33038399411/ .

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks guys for the input so far - really, really helpful. My issue is going to be that the services ran across the GREAT CENTRAL line which makes perfect sense, but in my own little railway model world they will have to use the ECML in the fens - so diversions ahoy. With the data you've given me so far I can actually start to build a wanted stock list for this one.

A secondary question which you guys may answer faster than Google is coach colours in 1957 on southern stock - all crimson and cream or is there a possibility of some green?

I guess in my mind this makes things more interesting if I can put foreign stock amongst my Gresleys.

Many Thanks

When green was reintroduced on the SR in June 1956 between 30 & 40% of the hauled coaching stock was still in SR green, ie it had never been repainted into red or red & cream.  After June 1956 the SR re-painted its corridor stock that was red & cream into green with great enthusiasm to the extent that some stock had a repaint at Intermediate Repair (when it should only have had a re-varnish) instead of waiting till the next General Repair.

Chris KT

• Informative/Useful 1

So the input from you guys has been really helpful - and I have acted on it to build this stock list. I have made some compromises - particularly on the restaurant coach - but that is how I run my railway.

The key thing for me is that it looks possible and sensible - for example I wouldn't stick a Pullman in it, nor would I put this rake behind one of my A4s - I've just acquired a B1 and I'm waiting on the new Bachmann V2s which would seem to be better.

Many thanks once again - all comments welcome.

Screenshot 2022-08-19 at 11.00.53.png

Edited by AHW
Image replacement