Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Hornby 0-4-0s Megathread

tubs01

This is kind of similar to the show us your pugbash-nelliebosh-desmondifications thread however this is just about the Hornby 0-4-0s. These include the moulds:

Smokey Joe/Caley Pug

GWR No. 101 

Dolwais Ironworks D class

06 Shunter

Ex- Thomas 0-4-0

Percy/ Ex-Percy 0-4-0

Dart/ Bagnall shunter

This is less about bashing 0-4-0s (though bashes are welcome) but more about showing what can be done with the 0-4-0s detail wise, e.g. repaints, weathering, adding details like handrails, better valve gear ect.

I feel like the 0-4-0s are somewhat overlooked due to their simplicity, however they are ripe for weathering, repainting and detailing.

• RMweb Gold

There is potential in the Hornby basic 0-4-0 but it suffers from three major drawbacks in terms of scale modelling.  One, the driving wheels are far too large.  Of course, you can replace them, but this means that the loco sits too low in terms of buffer and coupling height, so some fairly major and brutal surgery has to be be performed on the chassis block to rectify this without upsetting the gear meshing,  Most folk come to the conclusion that it's not really worth the bother. 

Two, the motors and crown/pinion gearing on the older models were originally used in Scalextric racing cars, and it shows!  Slow running is impossible, and the situation is not helped by the oversized driving wheels.  More recent production is not as bad, I am told, but having a loco that can do over 200 scale mph is not much use, especially if you can't get it to go below scale 25mph!  Most of the prototypes these are based on never went much above 10mph!  By this time one is coming to the conclusion that a complete new chassis is needed, and that there are much better alternatives when you factor in the time and cost of this.

Three, the crosshead/slidebar arrangement on those models with outside cylinders (Smokey Joe, Holden) is crude and toylike, the crosshead not actually contacting the plastic moulded slidebars.  A real loco with this setup would not work.

I am aware that none of this is what you want to hear, tubs, and that you have amassed a considerable stud of these locos as a result of your understandable fiduciary impecunity.  They are good to practice and develop your skills on, and you will learn a lot about detailing from working them up, but in the long term I suspect you will, when you are able, want to replace them with models to a better standard.   These are based on a model originally produced as a basic starter kiddies train set loco intended to put up with a bit of rough handling and be easy for rugrats to put on the track, so were designed to be basic and cheap to produce; in that respect they are one of the most successful RTR locos of all time, and as they are fulfilling this role perfectly well, I cannot see Hornby retooling or improving them any time soon.  They would, if improved, be in direct competition with Hornby's own W4 Peckett, which costs twice as much and is certainly not designed for rugrats to play with!

Edited by The Johnster

Taming the speed of these wee monsters is easy if you use DCC, all that needed is to fit a decoder where you can alter the top speed CV. I have an 06 that runs at barely a crawl on DCC. 

Now DC control? There must be a way of bringing speed down, from what I've seen it's standstill and then lurch off at near supersonic speed! 

The GWR 101 is pretty accurate apart from the crude valve gear. Wheels are correct size. Remember it was built as a passenger tank not a shunter. Built for the Wrington Vale Railway but never left Swindon due to firebox problems and then became the works shunter after rebuilding.

spacer.png

I got one of the more recent versions and there are no issues with high speed. It's fine.

It's the free one from the Collectors Club. I only joined as I wanted the Terrier and it came as part of the deal. I was going to give it to my nephew, but decided to keep it as it was the Centenary year.

Jason

• Informative/Useful 2

Regarding 101, since introduction in 1978, NOT including different catalouge numbers, running numbers and paint finishes, there have been 38 livery variations released for the public with a further 1 (Downton Abbey) as a one off.  Just for fun around 8 years back I collected the lot. Sold them soon afterwards but may do it again one day !

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 months later...
On 24/02/2021 at 15:36, Co-tr-Paul said:

Regarding 101, since introduction in 1978, NOT including different catalouge numbers, running numbers and paint finishes, there have been 38 livery variations released for the public with a further 1 (Downton Abbey) as a one off.  Just for fun around 8 years back I collected the lot. Sold them soon afterwards but may do it again one day !

had no idea there was a downton abbey 040

• 4 months later...

My #2 Grandson loves the non-scale speed, and I love both the low price and the ruggedness of a locomotive he routinely bounce-tests. The dinosaur in the wagon it's pulling just adds to the fun.

TheJohnster is 100% correct for people who want their models traceable to reality - but I like having one that survives small hands and needs, and lets him use the controller without being shouted at.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When my lads were small we used to hold Sunday afternoon speed trials against all comers. Brian Thomas had a Nellie that beat all comers until I tinkered with the gearing of an old Mainline warship …. Haulage capability zero but it needed extra internal weight to stay on the track at corners and took the speed crown off Nellie. @Pierre Le Brun has chipped his Smokey Joe and it makes occasional clandestine appearances on Abbotswood at sensible speeds…

On 03/01/2022 at 19:45, russell price said:

Is the GWR 101 body reasonably accurate or has it been stretched? Quite like the idea of building a scale chassis complete with proper valve gear and doing a scale model.

Pretty accurate ISTR. There are drawings somewhere. The Russell GWR Engines books probably.

The Caley Pug was stretched to fit with an extra 8 mm or so over the tank length.

Jason

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/02/2021 at 19:24, johnd said:

Taming the speed of these wee monsters is easy if you use DCC, all that needed is to fit a decoder where you can alter the top speed CV. I have an 06 that runs at barely a crawl on DCC. 

Now DC control? There must be a way of bringing speed down, from what I've seen it's standstill and then lurch off at near supersonic speed! 

My pre-DCC conversion DC test track is powered by a Hammant and Morgan Clipper. Using the half wave and high resistance switches gets you a really good crawling speed out of them. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Better running Pugs

P1070220.JPG.5750430ee78638bc335a366a5b3aeef0.JPG

I bought a Caley Pug some years ago when Hornby had a black Friday sale. I was expecting it to run very quickly, but it actually ran well, capable of running slowly, with a reasonable top speed.  Much more realistic than the older ones. I later bought another one on ebay but that had the older mechanism and ran very fast indeed.  So I bought a replacement chassis as an experiment, from Lendons of Cardiff, (£8.99)  and that runs slowly like the newer loco from Hornby.  It's difficult to tell any difference, the replacement chassis is in the front.  The motors are the same size, gearing seems the same.  Latest motor must be wound differently.

P1070221.JPG.8a9a8d9d21baa1eadbb27bbc01685f8e.JPG

So now have 2 pugs that run the same, nice and slowly (and have a good finish).  Keeping these for when the grandchildren are phased in to going up in the loft - they can have one each to run,  and it will be a good idea to have locos that run the same!  (Suppose they ought to be different colours....).   They can have fun away from all that "14 years and over"  stock...

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2022 at 10:15, phil gollin said:

HOW  COULD  THIS  THREAD  IGNORE  "NELLIE",  "POLLY"  AND  "CONNIE"  !

Disgraceful.

http://www.tri-angrailways.org.uk/nellie.htm

http://daveangell.co.uk/images/3206a.JPG

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/triang-industrial-loco-connie-513331227

I think it's a real shame that Hornby no longer manufacture those (I guess the tooling was sacrificed for those push-along versions?). I had Polly and the SDJR version when I was a kid, and to my eyes they made for a nice little factory shunter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, HonestTom said:

I think it's a real shame that Hornby no longer manufacture those (I guess the tooling was sacrificed for those push-along versions?). I had Polly and the SDJR version when I was a kid, and to my eyes they made for a nice little factory shunter.

They were certainly much nicer than the current 0-4-0T which I think looks like a Jinty that has had a nasty accident.

12 minutes ago, Chris116 said:

They were certainly much nicer than the current 0-4-0T which I think looks like a Jinty that has had a nasty accident.

Yeah, that one kind of stands out. It was originally a starter set Thomas aimed at very young children, so minimal detail and few parts that could get knocked off. I suspect that's also why they seem to favour the Bagnall over the 06 as a starter diesel these days. I also suspect that's why they tooled up the GKN D - there's basically nothing on that that could be broken by rough handling.

• 1 year later...

From the kitbash thread, posted by BlueLightning

I mean, they did show off the development of one in the last series of their TV program, with a reworking of the standard 0-4-0 chassis to be DCC ready, IIRC with a Next18 decoder.

They even showed them going to the Bluebell Railway to measure Normandy.

Gary

My comment was a bit sidetracked there!

That was when they were showing off their new 3D printer.  It might be that it was essentially a "training project" that was picked on by the TV production team as something whacky to fill in a bit of airtime. The oversize issue may be due to some of the printer scaling being a bit "off".  You never know, it might still emerge as a starter set loco to allow Hornby to rest the other body styles for a while.

Or not!

Well, good old 101 has given service for nearly half a century now!

Can't believe it was 1978 that it appeared and was the first proper train I got that was "mine". Soon joined by a Mainline J72 and there was no comparison really.

Still got it though. One of the few that I have kept in original condition for sentimental reasons.

Jason

• Like 1