Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

What if Ruston & Hornsby had made the an 0-6-0 version of LSSE for industrial use? The project will use a Heljan BR Class 07 with an etched cab and etched engine casing overlays as a start.

Card and paper mock up in place. Other changes will be to the cab steps and, of course, all those surplus lamps will be knocked off and a smaller air reservoir fitted.

lsshconversion-1.jpg.aeac1140cad00bcc936f3a89e4d0547c.jpg

Don't expect rapid progress on this one.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

31 minutes ago, 5050 said:

You mean the one in the photo isn't actually finished?  I thought it didn't seem to be up to your usual standard of modelling........................

I agree, the cab looks fantastic but the rest of the model........... :)

• Funny 1

17 hours ago, Ruston said:

What if Ruston & Hornsby had made the an 0-6-0 version of LSSE for industrial use? The project will use a Heljan BR Class 07 with an etched cab and etched engine casing overlays as a start.

Card and paper mock up in place. Other changes will be to the cab steps and, of course, all those surplus lamps will be knocked off and a smaller air reservoir fitted.

lsshconversion-1.jpg.2c48bd4ffda5a80377df25ce2a7c426c.jpg

Sorry I haven't posted those photos of the Peak Forest 07.
I can't find the damn things and my medical probs have come back a bit.
I'll try at the weekend.
This beast looks cool. Looking forward to where you take it.
Regards,
Chris.

Quick shout for Hardy's Hobbies.
I have got two of their 'Ugly's.'
I have built a Sentinel of their's and was VERY satisfied.
These bodies are even better.
Sorry no photos.
All I need now is one more new Terrier.:lol:
Hardys Kits are great.

18 hours ago, Ruston said:

lsshconversion-1.jpg.2c48bd4ffda5a80377df25ce2a7c426c.jpg

That looks like the Ruston diesel hydraulic that was built for the M.o.D.

4 hours ago, Gordon A said:

That looks like the Ruston diesel hydraulic that was built for the M.o.D.

The original idea was to convert the 07 (LSSE) to the LSSH (the MOD locos) but the construction of the model makes it difficult, if not impossible, to make the changes.

The most obvious is the jackshaft drive, which could be done by scratchbuilding a new chassis and rods but this Heljan model is unlike anything I've seen before. The chassis is die cast and incorporates not only the buffer beams and running plate but fills a lot of the space inside the plastic engine casing and rear compartment. The rear compartment on the LSSH is shorter in length than that on the 07 and the chassis block also prevents this from being changed. It would mean scratchbuilding a complete chassis, running plate, buffer beams and steps, plus new rods etc. The only surviving parts would be the plastic casings.

I may be able to mill the block inside the rear compartment and thus cut down the length of the plastic outer casing but well see...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ruston said:

The original idea was to convert the 07 (LSSE) to the LSSH (the MOD locos) but the construction of the model makes it difficult, if not impossible, to make the changes.

The most obvious is the jackshaft drive, which could be done by scratchbuilding a new chassis and rods but this Heljan model is unlike anything I've seen before. The chassis is die cast and incorporates not only the buffer beams and running plate but fills a lot of the space inside the plastic engine casing and rear compartment. The rear compartment on the LSSH is shorter in length than that on the 07 and the chassis block also prevents this from being changed. It would mean scratchbuilding a complete chassis, running plate, buffer beams and steps, plus new rods etc. The only surviving parts would be the plastic casings.

I may be able to mill the block inside the rear compartment and thus cut down the length of the plastic outer casing but well see...

Might the Craftsman kit be the way to go, separate components and all that?

Mike.

My favourite photo of the hydraulic version of the loco is Victoria - it oozes character.  Can't remember where I found this on line - it was some time ago and I did not take notes.

I've often thought that if someone sold a 7mm kit of the Class O7 then it would be worth modifying it to try and achieve a reasonable representation of the industrial hydraulic version.

The photo must have been taken on a summer day where Stoke on Trent (my birth place) got a bit too close to the sun.  Looks like it was very warm in the cab.  The photo is clearly at least late 1960's since the overhead line equipment on the Manchester to Stoke main line is evident.

981497832_RustonVictoria.jpg.4e7426aebd46bbd197cda2e60f00f066.jpg

• Like 5

From the Avon valley railway's web page:

Currently on loan / hire to the Elsecar Railway.

image.png.e8a0896ff5eb31a6c96fc264dcf491fb.png

RUSTON HORNSBY 0-6-0DH NO.429

Pre TOPS number: 429 ‘River Annan’/’Salty’

Construction year: 1961

Builder/Number: Ruston Hornsby (466618)

In Service

Built in 1961, MOD No. 429 “River Annan” is a Ruston Hornsby LSSH 0-6-0DH (diesel hydraulic) shunting engine. It is currently on loan to Elsecar Heritage Railway.

On the face of it, it looks very similar to the BR Class 07 – and there’s a reason for that! The Class 07 was based on the Ruston Hornsby LSSE – the diesel electric version of the same locomotive, albeit with a few modifications and extras.

Powered by a 275 hp Paxman 6RPHL 29-litre V6 engine, Twin Disc torque convertor and two-speed final drive, the LSSH is a capable short wheel base shunter, capable of handling heavy trains over short distances and tight curves.

Nowadays, No. 429 is generally confined to Bitton Station but has been a regular performer at Bitton in the past, capable of handling 4 or 5 coach trains and keeping to the timetable! This flexibility means it’s often rostered as a standby or “thunderbird” locomotive at special events.

The livery isn’t original and is a key to its past life acting as “Salty” during Day Out With Thomas events.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 26/01/2021 at 12:24, 5050 said:

You mean the one in the photo isn't actually finished?  I thought it didn't seem to be up to your usual standard of modelling........................

There you go again: judging people by your own standards... ;)

• Funny 1

• 4 weeks later...

I am always putting bits of builds into my layout thread, even if the builds are sometimes done for other people, or aren't specifically for the layout, so I have decided to put them all in one place from now on. I have tried a blog but they are difficult to keep track of and there's never much feedback on them, so here we are...

At the moment I am just finishing off a repaint/weather of a Heljan Class 05, which has been industrialised. It will be going on the layout that I sold a few months ago - White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam.

05-002.jpg.80ad55456d881082f721b9794922e4c9.jpg

05-003.jpg.2be1479a316e4d311b850f86227e90af.jpg

My own current project is this:

05-001.jpg.7c4f8cc5b28f183bccee6ea795092a2e.jpg

It does look a bit of a mess at the moment but fingers crossed...

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I agree  with your sentiments about blogs. If you don't post something everey day, it's a devil to find your last contribution.

Seeing all of the details of how you go about your builds will provide plenty of inspiration to some of us on here . . . . . .

• Like 1