Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

1 hour ago, Corbs said:

Very nice outcome. I'd like to make one with the flat fronted cab but not sure if they have plans to make that version available.

There's the Judith Edge kit for that one.

Next in the works is a kit that I acquired a couple of years ago and started some time last year.

It is the Craftsman kit for the British Railways 170HP Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-4-0DH a.k.a Class 02. I have been looking into converting it to one of Yorkshire's industrial locos and I now know the major changes that are needed to make it as near as possible to either an industrial diesel-hydraulic, or a diesel electric. I don't think that I'll be able to get it exactly right but it should end up looking more like an industrial than an 02. The first thing will be to cut out the valances and replace them with new parts of the correct profile. The second, and more difficult task, is to remove the cab and lower it by as much as 3mm.

The buffer beams need to be reprofiled and the buffers will have to be raised on the beams. The Craftsman kit, and indeed the DJH kit of the 02, were designed for and supplied with 14mm (3ft. 6in.) Romford wheels but the wheel diameter of the prototype was 3ft. 3in. I have used Gibson wheels of the correct diameter.

170550702_DSCF7133(1).JPG.49035c93995aa2d39d0aa62c62ed20d5.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I built one of those a very long time ago, but didn’t quite finish it - it just needs couplings fitting and the roof glueing on.  I got stuck as I couldn’t find a way of adding tension lock couplings.  I’m now using kadees so need a way to fit them.

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Next in the works is a kit that I acquired a couple of years ago and started some time last year.

It is the Craftsman kit for the British Railways 170HP Yorkshire Engine Co. 0-4-0DH a.k.a Class 02. I have been looking into converting it to one of Yorkshire's industrial locos and I now know the major changes that are needed to make it as near as possible to either an industrial diesel-hydraulic, or a diesel electric. I don't think that I'll be able to get it exactly right but it should end up looking more like an industrial than an 02. The first thing will be to cut out the valances and replace them with new parts of the correct profile. The second, and more difficult task, is to remove the cab and lower it by as much as 3mm.

The buffer beams need to be reprofiled and the buffers will have to be raised on the beams. The Craftsman kit, and indeed the DJH kit of the 02, were designed for and supplied with 14mm (3ft. 6in.) Romford wheels but the wheel diameter of the prototype was 3ft. 3in. I have used Gibson wheels of the correct diameter.

DSCF7133.JPG.0d82257f6cca7b3cebc0e44b21bb320b.JPG

I bought a completed DJH kit in a fictitious BR livery but with homemade P4 wheels of ebay. After doing a fair amount of research I found that it wasn't possible to have it in a correct BR form because the builder had omitted the footwell handrails which could only be added before final assembly of what is a beginners kit. Much gnashing and wailing ensued. When I get around to it I'll do it as an industrial but it will need a scratch built chassis. 

Are those Sharman wheels you're using?

That didn't go as well as I had hoped. I made up and fitted the rods and made and fitted some pickups. I had tested the motor/drive by putting wires to it from a DC controller and holding the frames in my fingers, where it seemed to run smoothly enough. I fitted a plain non-sound decoder that I keep for testing purposes and put it on the track. Apart from the whining of all those little metal gears (which I had forgotten that these N20 gearmotors make), there is a grating noise. It's definitely coming from the bevel gears. I don't know if I can be bothered faffing with it. I may just pull the wheels off and take the N20 out, and wait until High Level gearboxes are available again.

Cab lowered but not yet fixed.

Craftsman02-3.jpg.5a9c37d8d7526b5b74b64c17cafe7128.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 9

It now has new valances. The sandboxes are exposed on this type, so I will have to make some. They are the same as on DE2 and Janus locomotives.

Craftsman02-4.jpg.4ab52a15b076a1bbc9903b8e16e2b9ba.jpg

I decided to have a go with the N20 after all. It seems that the motor was coming loose from the gearbox and I am sure that was part of the problem. I also shifted the bevel drive gear back slightly on the output shaft of the gearbox and it now runs much better. With lead sheet sandwiching the motor.gearbox, and the body on, it doesn't sound quite so noisy either. It's never going to be quiet, with those straight-cut metal gears, but it may be tolerable. I will only really know once DCC sound is installed.

Craftsman02-5.jpg.6515cffa9c8a166827f4a8edd5742961.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11

Back to the Rustons that have been built from Planet Industrials kits.

My own model is now ready for service. The Zimo MX648 decoder is fitted above the motor, with the stay alive on loose wires so that it fits in the front of the engine casing. The speaker is between the frames at the rear and is a Youchoos Sugarcube7. This is a little too deep and the wires can be seen below frame level, but this is only a temporary fit and will be replaced by a S5, which will be shallow enough as to not be seen at all.

165s-003.jpg.7f557a0960e7103c8c1e4dddfab18f19.jpg

165s-007.jpg.661337177a6f0d003e5057a098f43930.jpg

165s-015.jpg.d9e92f76f551868c745db2b28aa2a776.jpg

It would have been easier to use the Hornby Peckett chassis that the kit is designed for, but it would be a very expensive finished item, at £80 for the kit, plus at least another £80 for the Peckett.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Ruston said:

Back to the Rustons that have been built from Planet Industrials kits.

My own model is now ready for service. The Zimo MX648 decoder is fitted above the motor, with the stay alive on loose wires so that it fits in the front of the engine casing. The speaker is between the frames at the rear and is a Youchoos Sugarcube7. This is a little too deep and the wires can be seen below frame level, but this is only a temporary fit and will be replaced by a S5, which will be shallow enough as to not be seen at all.

165s-003.jpg.7f60ffe4a9121d67d74a49ed48f91d48.jpg

165s-007.jpg.093d6771f5ca722488622d6f904d67e6.jpg

165s-015.jpg.c90e78295ec514b1ca3a1598cf2bdf97.jpg

It would have been easier to use the Hornby Peckett chassis that the kit is designed for, but it would be a very expensive finished item, at £80 for the kit, plus at least another £80 for the Peckett.

Rails have them at £69.50 just now, I bought one on impulse, now have 3 different pecketts!

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/33985/Hornby-r3640-oo-gauge-peckett-w4-nicausse-willans-and-robinson-0-4-0-tank-locomotive-no-88

Back to the Yorkshire diesel-hydraulic.

YEDH-005.jpg.361938a6b7beada42c3ea61db970dc06.jpg

I have had to paint the cab interior and the window surrounds. This is usually a job I do after the top coats but before fitting the cab roof. On this build, however, the roof blends in to the sides, so has to be soldered on and filed to blend it in. The cab itself needed to be soldered to the running plate, which has meant painting these parts first. I will cover the glazing with Maskol before spraying the rest with etch primer and also the brush-painted colour coat.

The handrails at the sides are all that remains to be made and fitted. Some of these Yorkshires had handrail posts of flat plate and so I have made these myself, as on the front and rear central pairs. There were no front rails on Class 02 and the rear ones were missing from the kit. I bought the kit third hand and other parts were missing, including the air reservoir tanks. I have made these from brass bar and milled brass for the mounts. The cab side window surrounds were either missing from the kit, or were never part of it. There was certainly nothing half-etched and no cab side overlays. I made some from brass shim.

The engine casing door handles are another of my additions and I don't know if they were missing, or that the kit designer intended only bent wire to be used, but the handles on these Yorkshires were more than bent rod and had circular domed knobs, with a handle. I opened out the small holes so that I could recess Gibson short handrail knobs into them.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

5 hours ago, Ruston said:

Back to the Yorkshire diesel-hydraulic.

YEDH-005.jpg.4c26a7bc10687ea0d6a47fcdff1dbb8d.jpg

I have had to paint the cab interior and the window surrounds. This is usually a job I do after the top coats but before fitting the cab roof. On this build, however, the roof blends in to the sides, so has to be soldered on and filed to blend it in. The cab itself needed to be soldered to the running plate, which has meant painting these parts first. I will cover the glazing with Maskol before spraying the rest with etch primer and also the brush-painted colour coat.

The handrails at the sides are all that remains to be made and fitted. Some of these Yorkshires had handrail posts of flat plate and so I have made these myself, as on the front and rear central pairs. There were no front rails on Class 02 and the rear ones were missing from the kit. I bought the kit third hand and other parts were missing, including the air reservoir tanks. I have made these from brass bar and milled brass for the mounts. The cab side window surrounds were either missing from the kit, or were never part of it. There was certainly nothing half-etched and no cab side overlays. I made some from brass shim.

The engine casing door handles are another of my additions and I don't know if they were missing, or that the kit designer intended only bent wire to be used, but the handles on these Yorkshires were more than bent rod and had circular domed knobs, with a handle. I opened out the small holes so that I could recess Gibson short handrail knobs into them.

That's a tougher lookng beast than an O2.

NICE.

I have acquired another kit, today, in a barter/exchange. I took a look in the stash, which revealed 10 unbuilt kits. There are also 3 scratchbuilds in varying states of build, plus one half built kit (two if I include the Yorkshire, above). There is also a dismembered RTR loco, a RTR loco in pieces, awaiting the return of a defective sound decoder, and the Brush/Bagnall.

I have a box with the bodies of 4 RTR Pecketts and one 48DS Ruston. The Ruston just needs a plasticard chassis and some wheels as it will be a non-working loco for the scrapyard, but I have cunning plans for the Peckett bodies.

The next in works will probably be the Judith Edge Sentinel kit as I have wheels and a gearbox that will fit. Then the Impetus kits that I bought recently will be started and, hopefully, High Level gearboxes will be back in production by then.

Edit: It's 12 kits. If anyone sees me trying to buy kits then please intervene. Stop me; do something! If we count sets of etches then I suppose it's actually 13. I need help. I'm like some sort of industrial loco kit junkie.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 4

Here's one to (almost) strike off the list of unbuilt kits.

YorkshireDHorange-003.jpg.e5d2a31c51007080dd57b31383819297.jpg

I have photographed it from this angle because it needs sandboxes to finish, but a set is in the post, courtesy of 1Whitemoor Paul. I also need to identify exactly what the boxes in front of the cab are. If they are fuel tanks I need to fit some fillers. If battery boxes, some doors.

It has DCC sound on board, which I managed to squeeze in after removing some of the lead that I had added around the motor. It still weighs in at a respectable 175g, which is easily more than it will ever need on this layout, even with my heavily weighted wagons. I need not have had any worries about the noisy transmission as it is completely drowned out by the sounds of a Rolls Royce C6SFL.

I will take some more photos when it has the sandboxes fitted, and from the side. Maybe then the camera will show more just how orange it is in real life!

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Ruston said:

I also need to identify exactly what the boxes in front of the cab are. If they are fuel tanks

If they are the same as the BR equivalents, which I would assume they were, they are fuel tanks. They need gauges on the sides and fillers on the top.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

17 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If they are the same as the BR equivalents, which I would assume they were, they are fuel tanks. They need gauges on the sides and fillers on the top.

Mike.

I have confirmation now. The left hand one is a battery box. The right hand one actually continues right through into the left hand one and is the fuel tank and has the filler on the right hand one only.

• Informative/Useful 2

18 hours ago, Ruston said:

Here's one to (almost) strike off the list of unbuilt kits.

YorkshireDHorange-003.jpg.e81587def94bba9903cd81e0f1abb525.jpg

I have photographed it from this angle because it needs sandboxes to finish, but a set is in the post, courtesy of 1Whitemoor Paul. I also need to identify exactly what the boxes in front of the cab are. If they are fuel tanks I need to fit some fillers. If battery boxes, some doors.

It has DCC sound on board, which I managed to squeeze in after removing some of the lead that I had added around the motor. It still weighs in at a respectable 175g, which is easily more than it will ever need on this layout, even with my heavily weighted wagons. I need not have had any worries about the noisy transmission as it is completely drowned out by the sounds of a Rolls Royce C6SFL.

I will take some more photos when it has the sandboxes fitted, and from the side. Maybe then the camera will show more just how orange it is in real life!

It's a tough looking piece of kit. Much tougher than the BR example.
A lovely job Dave.
Regards,
Chris.