Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

14 hours ago, Ruston said:

The kit part scales at 9ft. wide, which is on the large side, maybe even out of British Railways loading gauge? I have made mine a more reasonable 8ft. 6in. wide

a bit wide, i'm working on one in 7mm and guessed the width as 8'6" from photos and then found a diagram drawing for the BR version which is the same

• Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, rope runner said:

Lanarkshire do some buffers which look suspiciously like that type. 

Paul A. 

I have just had a look. The LB18 seems to be about right, but the heads are too small. They say that they are available pre-drilled "to suit standard sprung buffer heads". They don't appear to sell the buffer heads, so who's standard is this and from where can I buy them?

• RMweb Gold

It is a wide lad, from memory just under 9ft (8ft 10in I think) but it has been thickened up a bit for strength as we were worried that sanding down the print supports would lead to damage. Hopefully should just fit within the UK loading gauge though.
That brass one is HENCH. What weight is the model at now?

4 hours ago, Corbs said:

It is a wide lad, from memory just under 9ft (8ft 10in I think) but it has been thickened up a bit for strength as we were worried that sanding down the print supports would lead to damage. Hopefully should just fit within the UK loading gauge though.
That brass one is HENCH. What weight is the model at now?

92g with body on. That's with no added weight yet and is the same as a Dapol Adams B4 out of the box. The speaker will go between the frames, the decoder in the cab and so the majority of the under-bonnet space will be free for added weight. I have a thing for weighting my locomotives in excess of what they need to pull the trains on my layout, but I'm always thinking about how they will perform on that large loft layout that never gets built...

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's coming along now.

I made and fitted some balance weights to the wheels, made and fitted the outer layer of the buffer beams (with the rivet heads), and made and fitted a toolbox. Toolboxes are provided in the kit and I was going to use one (I think HC only fitted one?) but in the kit it sits in a recess in the running plate and, of course, I didn't put that in. I couldn't sand the bottom of the box level, so went for a brass one instead.

hcbuild2-002.jpg.3966c5f1e9fbc845429fa38fd2b81ff9.jpg

I have thrown some more paint at it and have also been busy with lining decals. The lining isn't yet complete. I have no idea how I'm going to get the lining to follow the curve of the gearbox cover!

hcbuild2-005.jpg.4a4310261a683fe895bcdf26639f6e82.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Looking good Dave but by the way these Hudswells are all 8ft 6in overall width.

Yes that makes sense, sorry previous post was unclear - to clarify I think the model scales to about 8ft 10in as we added the extra bits on the side for strength and support.

The livery and lining is absolutely fab so far. The metal toolbox adds the the weight I imagine! Are you sound fitting this one?

Edited by Corbs

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have no idea how I'm going to get the lining to follow the curve of the gearbox cover!

Paint the yellow first, concentrating on the inside edge and not worrying about the other side at all. 

Then paint black, covering up the rough edge.

Use enamels, well stirred, and a chisel-cut cocktail stick to nudge small imperfections away, after a minute or two.

I am sure you can do better than I did on this toolbox:

IMG_0188.JPG.f706af52f58b67f2e6d9ed81c07db825.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

12 hours ago, Corbs said:

Yes that makes sense, sorry previous post was unclear - to clarify I think the model scales to about 8ft 10in as we added the extra bits on the side for strength and support.

The livery and lining is absolutely fab so far. The metal toolbox adds the the weight I imagine! Are you sound fitting this one?

It will be fitted with sound. I'm thinking that Paul Chetter's Class 05 project will be suitable. It's a Gardner engine, which some of these Hudswells did have fitted, and a self-shifting geabox. The Class 03 would also suit but I already have a factory-fitted Bachmann Class 03 and I don't want this to sound identical to it.

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

Paint the yellow first, concentrating on the inside edge and not worrying about the other side at all. 

Then paint black, covering up the rough edge.

Use enamels, well stirred, and a chisel-cut cocktail stick to nudge small imperfections away, after a minute or two.

I am sure you can do better than I did on this toolbox:

IMG_0188.JPG.f706af52f58b67f2e6d9ed81c07db825.JPG

I have been told that the decal can be curved using Microsol but I think I may have a go at painting it instead. If it doesn't look as neat as I'd like I can always hide the worst of it with weathering.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 19:56, Ruston said:

I have a thing for weighting my locomotives in excess of what they need to pull the trains on my layout, but I'm always thinking about how they will perform on that large loft layout that never gets built...

Will the loft floor take the extra weight?

• Funny 1

A few small steps forward.

The rods are now jointed and the centre axle is sprung. I have yet to add the outer layer of the rods that will hide the obvious joints.

The chimney has been added and the maker's nameplate has been painted. I painted in the lining on the curved part of the gearbox cover. It's good enough that weathering will take care of the dodgy bits.

Unfortunately, I managed to drop the body shell on the floor and one corner of the raised vent has chipped. There's absolutely nothing can be done about this, so it's another case of hiding by weathering.

HCbuild-2.jpg.12d1d036532ebf8b8f2a5a9068363432.jpg

The body shell now has some lead sheet inside, which brings the total weight up to 158g. There are no drawhooks fitted as yet but in a test it propelled 10 heavily weighted wagons around the curve on Watery Lane. There is space for more weight, especially if the DCC gear goes in the cab, which it may as well as weight added there would be outside the wheelbase.

I have managed to source some of the correct pattern of handrail knobs, which are scarce at the moment as Corbs has bought almost the entire world's supply! :lol:

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

Today, the postie brought the last of the ingredients for the next builds, which won't be started until the Hudswell is finished.

yeplan-003.jpg.c8b6f0c8b20588d658a210aa18b7f1db.jpg

One Oxford Rail Janus, one previous owner, low mileage.

One DJH BR Class 02, very high mileage, very noisy, seemingly bent whitemetal chassis - runs but very badly.

Parts of an unbuilt DJH Class 02 kit.

2x N20 gearmotor units.

4 axlesets Alan Gibson 3ft. 3in. dia. wheels.

Stir together, add glue, solder, paint, brass, plasticard and scratchbuilt chassis.

YE2867@MarcroftStokeJul96.jpg.a3403fab70c6516b722dc918dad23e29.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

16 minutes ago, mike morley said:

You must be getting to the stage where you've got more locos than wagons for them to haul.

Is a shed layout planned to provide them all with a home?

I've got quite a long way to go before that happens. I just like building them and having something that you can't simply wave a credit card to get.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

On 21/06/2021 at 13:47, Down_Under said:

I'm looking forward to what you end up doing / how you transform the Janus / Class 02 combo. J

I've got plenty of work to finish the Hudswell first.

The fuel tank filler on these Hudswells was at the top of the engine casing and so most of them appear to have had a ladder fitted to access this. There isn't one in the kit and although I'm sure it can be made as a 3D print, it would be very fragile. Anyway, I've made my own, from brass.

HCbuild-3.jpg.a131778460f925f7410bf1544a5200d8.jpg

A length of etched signal ladder, or whatever, really wouldn't do. This is scratchbuilt from 20 thou. sheet and .45mm rod.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

46 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I'm intrigued how you're going to incorporate an 02 and a Janus into one build! 

The only part of the Janus to be used is the engine casing moulding. This will be cut to provide a pair. The width and overall shape is the same as the locos that I intend to build. That on an 02 is wider, longer and has a different overall shape.

The 02 cabs and running plate will be used but whether or not the buffer beams are used depends on the results of crawling over a real one with a tape measure. That's planned for Saturday. If they can't be used, it's not a huge problem as I'll make new ones from scratch.

The ready built and painted 02 has been soaking in Nitromors for hours and it hasn't even taken the paint off, let alone broken the adhesive bonds. I remember when paint peeled after a few minutes of being covered in the stuff. Doubtless some Nanny State directive has forced it to be made with whatever ingredient it was that actually worked. I may as well have pissed on it for all the effect it's had.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I bought a DJH 02 off eBay and it turned out it was gauged for P4 to my astonishment. The builder hadn't included any cab details so I chopped out the white metal cab floor to detail the cab but then the project stopped as so many others have.

7253000307597901972.JPG

6904441944245695670.JPG

Edited by PenrithBeacon
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I bought a DJH 02 off eBay and it turned out it was gauged for P4 to my astonishment.

Lucky old you!!  You should have finished it to use on Braynerts Sidings.

I fitted the now fully weighted Hudswell body to the chassis and gave it a test run. The chassis itself runs just fine and I'm happy with what I have done with it. As far as haulage capability is concerned, it will be OK for Charlies Yard/Watery Lane, and would be fine for most people's purposes, but compared with the results I've had with the N20 gearmotors in previous engines, this one is woeful.

It's gutless and instead of spinning the wheels when the load behind it is too heavy, it stalls; it just sits down and makes noises. I think it's down to these particular units having a worm drive built into the gearbox. The others don't have a worm and so they don't have that power loss. The N20s are very powerful when used with bevel gears, or pinion and crown wheel. In fact my build of Boulton's Hercules https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/132699-scratchbuilding-boultons-hercules-no2/ used one with a pinion and crown wheel and it is virtually impossible to stall the motor. It weighs 323g and can pull 90 mineral wagons.

This Hudswell weighs 180g. The 220HP Yorkshire that I built earlier on in this workshop thread weighs exactly the same but has an N20 that drives through bevel gears. It can move 18 wagons through the S of the points, and around the tight curve on Charlies Yard. When it loses traction it spins the wheels.  I certainly wouldn't recommend using one of these units on a large loco, especially one with large diameter wheels.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2