Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

The Peckett B2 chassis, with added balance weights, is now under the 3D-printed Railwaymania body kit. The kit represents a Manning Wardle 16x24" Special,  W/n 1891 Merevale. This one is being finished as a fictional engine for White Peak, and to be a visiting engine on my own CVMR layout. I have a kit of my own stashed that will be for use as part of the CVMR home fleet.

Merevalemodel-1.jpg.ead3c1dcd75041c9e0ba6a7ca8c62852.jpg

There is a 60g difference in the Hornby Peckett body and the kit, which will have to be made up by adding lead sheet where space permits. The body parts are not yet fixed to the running plate and before I can begin to fit handrails etc. the cab and tank need to have lining applied.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

19 hours ago, Ruston said:

The Peckett B2 chassis, with added balance weights, is now under the 3D-printed Railwaymania body kit. The kit represents a Manning Wardle 16x24" Special,  W/n 1891 Merevale. This one is being finished as a fictional engine for White Peak, and to be a visiting engine on my own CVMR layout. I have a kit of my own stashed that will be for use as part of the CVMR home fleet.

Merevalemodel-1.jpg.97c7b6b2a222b2f6078c6790370afeed.jpg

There is a 60g difference in the Hornby Peckett body and the kit, which will have to be made up by adding lead sheet where space permits. The body parts are not yet fixed to the running plate and before I can begin to fit handrails etc. the cab and tank need to have lining applied.

OH This is 'floating my boat!' Is the body kit still available?
Is this loco similar to the C&DP Rly enginess?
Lovely job, as always.
Chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Sandhole said:

OH This is 'floating my boat!' Is the body kit still available?
Is this loco similar to the C&DP Rly enginess?
Lovely job, as always.
Chris.

Yes, it's available from here

https://www.railwaymania.net/shop/manning-wardle-16inch-oc

Couldn't say for certain how close it is to the C&DP Rly engines, but the wheel size & cylinder size are the same on Merivale & the 2 C&DP Rly engines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Couldn't say for certain how close it is to the C&DP Rly engines, but the wheel size & cylinder size are the same on Merivale & the 2 C&DP Rly engines.

Very tempting, I have a spare Peckett 0-6-0.
Thanks for the link.
Chris.

36 minutes ago, Moxy said:

I'm 'spitballing ' here, as the Yanks might say.
Any chance of the pannier version of this tank that the GWR ran?
Probably too niche, Lady knows how many people would buy it!
Getting cheeky,
Chris.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I'm 'spitballing ' here, as the Yanks might say.
Getting cheeky,
Chris.

I believe 'Cleobury' and 'Burwarton' were 15" locos whereas 'Merevale' was 16".

There are some subtle differences although the upper works are broadly similar. Cleobury's smokebox is waisted in at the bottom whereas the larger ones go straight down, and the pipe runs are different.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Corbs said:

There are some subtle differences although the upper works are broadly similar. Cleobury's smokebox is waisted in at the bottom whereas the larger ones go straight down, and the pipe runs are different.

Thanks Corbs, I'll freely admit, I'm no expert!
Chris.

6 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Getting cheeky,

Careful now! Those copper-capped Swindon idiots sure knew how to ruin the perfectly good looks of a quality Leeds engine and I'll have no mention of that sort of thing in my thread, thank you very much. :beee:

Now go and write out one hundred times "I must not mention such perversions again". :D

• Funny 11

The MSC Railway had some wagons bought secondhand from the copper-capped railway, complete with their peculiar brakes, and I have a kit for one. It keeps getting put to the bottom of the pile owing to some sort of natural aversion to Brasso...

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Careful now! Those copper-capped Swindon idiots sure knew how to ruin the perfectly good looks of a quality Leeds engine and I'll have no mention of that sort of thing in my thread, thank you very much. :beee:

Now go and write out one hundred times "I must not mention such perversions again". :D

I have knelt in front of my Littleton No5 Manning and asked for forgiveness!!
Ashamed, Chris.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

On 19/10/2021 at 16:36, Corbs said:

The Cleobury pair were 16-inch engines and apart from the differences you mention they were a foot in length shorter than Merevale. They also had smaller dia. wheels, but a larger water tank, shorter length boiler and an unequal wheelbase (4ft. 10in + 5ft. 8in.). Typical MW Specials - no two alike!

I think the copper-capped railway also ruined a perfectly good Peckett by rebuilding it into yet another pannier tank clone.

19 hours ago, Sandhole said:

I have knelt in front of my Littleton No5 Manning and asked for forgiveness!!

Speaking of which, I have been wondering what Alan Gibson 4844IW 3ft. 8in. Manning Wardle wheels look like. I asked elsewhere on the forum, but no one can tell me, or show me a photo. I can't even think what kit they may have been intended for. I did think the former Agenoria Littleton No.5 kit, but the wheels on those were 4ft.

Does anyone have any photos of these wheels, or knows what kit they were intended for? I want a 3ft. 8in wheel for a future Manning Wardle build.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Ruston said:

The Cleobury pair were 16-inch engines and apart from the differences you mention they were a foot in length shorter than Merevale. They also had smaller dia. wheels, but a larger water tank, shorter length boiler and an unequal wheelbase (4ft. 10in + 5ft. 8in.). Typical MW Specials - no two alike!

I think the copper-capped railway also ruined a perfectly good Peckett by rebuilding it into yet another pannier tank clone.

Speaking of which, I have been wondering what Alan Gibson 4844IW 3ft. 8in. Manning Wardle wheels look like. I asked elsewhere on the forum, but no one can tell me, or show me a photo. I can't even think what kit they may have been intended for. I did think the former Agenoria Littleton No.5 kit, but the wheels on those were 4ft.

Does anyone have any photos of these wheels, or knows what kit they were intended for? I want a 3ft. 8in wheel for a future Manning Wardle build.

I got these in a job lot off eBay and sold them on photo not too clear I am afraid 

AF0E6C24-B3B0-44EC-9278-22AB336F2508.jpeg

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Asterix2012 said:

I got these in a job lot off eBay and sold them on photo not too clear I am afraid 

Thanks for that. They look like the usual double boss type wheels. No use for what I want, unfortunately. I still can't think which kit they would have been intended for.

The Manning Wardle 16-inch Special is now ready for service. If Scott, the owner, wants it then it may get some more weathering to suit it's workplace on White Peak Limestone & Tarmacadam, but for now it will remain as it is whilst on trials on the CVMR.

MW16S-006.jpg.5c77e94363ee7c5bad465984537bf146.jpg

I have had to cut away the insides of the firebox in order to fit a 15x11x6mm speaker. A Zimo MX648 fits under the tank, with the Stay Alive in the bunker. I had to gouge and file a channel in the print floor to get the wires to connect to the decoder and to be hidden from view. The sound project is actually for an LMS Hughes Crab, but seems to suit this large and powerful engine much better than the small industrial tank sounds, such as the Peckett, that are available.

So fresh off the workbench that the Glue n Glaze that I used for the windows isn't yet dry!

MW16S-008.jpg.d617db9cdbd55d064c452dac8bd2d199.jpg

Also for WP are repaints/re-letters of some RTR wagons so that the layout can be run backdated to the 1930s.

MW16S-004.jpg.1febb2f9cb3aa12b9a6b4fc2fdd57770.jpg

I'll finish off my C class Peckett next...

MW16S-004.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 24/10/2021 at 15:01, Corbs said:

Still looking fab even without the pipework etc. We added a few notes on pipe runs in the instructions here:
https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5cc700de4e2899e97cc62867/t/61655959ef0e0062e588db1c/1634032028141/Manning+Wardle+OC+Instructions+-+1.2.pdf

(as the instructions weren't ready when you got the kit)

Who reads instructions anyway? :D I've just posted a pic of it properly finished, over on my CVMR thread, but I'll spam it on here too.

MW16SCVMR-012.jpg.aa1898c4dc28711b148b776d1177b1c9.jpg

MW16SCVMR-003.jpg.722a857191db79cc351bcfba73a7996d.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I didn't say much about the rest of the clasp-brake mineral conversion and there's nothing left to say now anyway. I was only waiting for the vac pipes and they arrived today, so as soon as I got in, this afternoon, I fitted them.

16minclasp4.jpg.0bd211a105c25f097d2a2f58a34df496.jpg

Over the weekend, more work was done on the C class Peckett.

Cclass1.jpg.97f642ca66e5cb63f45f23614b4abf8f.jpg

The motor has been turned through 90 degrees and araldited to the chassis block. By turning it and doing away with the mounting I can save a couple of millimetres in height. This, combined with grinding away some of the underside of the tank, and cutting off the plastic sleeve of the decoder (to be replaced by Kapton tape), the decoder should fit above the motor.

When I've fitted sound to these Hornby Pecketts in the past I have fitted the decoder almost vertically in the smokebox area, but the speaker then has to be either very small, or fit in the cab. This time it will fit in the smokebox area and a Stay Alive will go in the bunker.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10

And another one finished. The body was all ready to go, so all I needed to do today was to screw the chassis into it.

The buffers were cut and filed flat and redundant W4 buffer beams had their buffer bodies hacked off. The new buffers were placed with their tops flush with the tops of the buffer beams to bring the height back up to compensate for the smaller wheels.

A few details stuck on, some real coal put on top of the Stay Alive in the bunker, a bit of soot weathering added and Bob's yer uncle, probably the only 4mm C class Peckett model in existence.

Nephthys.jpg.afa9cf60c4d86d5aae90f68f73281eac.jpg

Nephthys2.jpg.a22d37779b7a15dd4a471589f6640e3c.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

On 27/10/2021 at 08:51, Barclay said:

Great work. Hornby could do it too without too much effort presumably, not that you'd want them to having put all that effort into it...

Hell, I hope they've done all they're going to do with Pecketts. It's time they did something from another manufacturer. I wouldn't want everyone and his dog owning a C class. :unsure:

Whilst I'm on this chopping RTR Pecketts thing... Ever wondered what happens when you have spare bodies, time to look through the IRS Peckett book and a set of old Romford wheels lying around? Excuse the poor photo - it was taken on my mobile telephone.

P492-2.jpg.d8a9d199734e6119c82e4a62a730a994.jpg

Peckett 492 was a "Special" inside-cylindered saddle tank, with a W4 boiler and seemingly the rest of the bodywork to go with it. The photo in the IRS book shows the frames being deeper than those on a W4 and along the bottom they are parallel with the top, unlike the W4's frames which taper toward the rear. It had deep buffer beams with 4 buffers at each end, presumably for inside-framed internal use wagons at the copper works for which it was built. The wheels also appear larger than on a W4 and there are shallow splashers on top of the running plate.

I've got a motor, a High Level gearbox, some wheels and a sheet of brass. This one should be a doddle.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

39 minutes ago, AlfaZagato said:

Another for the CVMR?  Or will this be sent to scrap?

It's for the Coal & Clay Co. I'm building two chassis, but only one will be for myself. It's a complex deal that ends in me getting a standard Hornby chassis to stick under what will become a second W6 body. The cut n shut W6 cab, made from a B2 cab, was only ever a stopgap. I now have two sets of etched cab parts for the W6. The W6s are too late for the CVMR and one will be used at Charlie Strong's and the other may be up for sale. I'm like a latter day I.W. Boulton, but with 4mm scale industrials, instead of the real thing. :D

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3

On 28/10/2021 at 15:36, Sludger said:

Hi Dave,

i would happily take the second W6 off your hands if

you decide to put it up for sale.

It could become No 16 of Shilbottle Colliery (P1790).

Regards,

Trev.

Hold your horses! I haven't built it yet. :lol:

Scott came over for to collect his Manning Wardle, and to have a play with the CVMR. Once all the DCC gear was fitted there wasn' much space left to add lead weight and so, although it's perfect for White Peak, it looked a bit silly with such a powerful prototype needing a banker with just 5 wagons and a break van. For my own build, whilst it will still use a Hornby B2 Peckett chassis, I am going to make the buffer beams and running plate from thick engraving brass in order to give it some extra weight.

The bodywork  has been rubbed down, primed, rubbed down again, primed with filler primer, rubbed down once more and then a final colour top coat. It is now almost entirely free of print lines and will have a varnish coat over any decals that may be applied.

stuff-002.jpg.00f683a66ed6aa9a3dffd4405054edab.jpg

I call the colour Calder Vale Maroon. I had half a jar of Railmatch EWS red and added BR wagon bauxite until I got a shade I was happy with.

I'm now thinking that as I'm making a brass running plate I may as well make some frame overlays. The reason being that I can solder brass brake parts to it. The Hornby Peckett chassis has the brake hangers/blocks at the front of the wheels and the cross beams would have been attached to pull rods underneath. On the Manning Wardle on which this kit is based, the blocks were at the rear of the wheels and were operated by push rods above the wheels.

But then I'm also thinking that if I'm going to all that trouble then why not buy some Gibson 3ft. 6in. wheels and build my own chassis? It will be a lot cheaper than buying a Hornby Peckett and the Gibson wheels are nicer than the steamroller wheels that Hornby put under the B2.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1