Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2024 at 13:46, Ruston said:

I dug out the 3D-printed Manning kit.

Oh dear.

20240323_120016.jpg.cc578c442bee382a25ace0d20e8b91af.jpg

How sad.

Never mind.

20240323_120029.jpg.880d96bb2f0984710023551016b3bcce.jpg

The MW running boards are especially prone to this bending as there is not much in the way of longitudinal support. What I found was that if there was a bend like the one you had, when the body was attached and the whole lot was screwed to the chassis, it straightened out. If the bend was more severe I replaced the running board.

The Avonsides were similar but nowhere near the same extent.

Edited by Corbs
  • Like 1

It's no nearer to being able to run but I seem to have eliminated the worst of the gap between running plate and cab.

20240414_172819.jpg.7c93a546c69292dd6e7cd442ad09f478.jpg

I've splattered some more paint on it, too. The livery is based on a 17-inch MW that worked for the NCB at Hafodyrnys colliery, in Gwent. I say based on because although it had the yellow stripe on the smokebox door, and the yellow and red vertical stripes on the buffer beams the thickness of the buffer beam stripes was different. I'm not sure about the buffer beam stripes but I'll see how they look once weathered.

It weighs 186g, which is 11g over the original Peckett weight and it hasn't even got a motor in it yet. There is space for at least another 15g of lead in the bunker but I'm wary of overdoing it. The motor is only the standard N20 that Hornby put in these things, the W4s and the little Ruston 48DS models.

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

Should be fine.   I think some on here have done sizable 7mm with N20s.

N20 attached to one of those integral brass and steel gearboxes, certainly,  but the N20 on it own wouldn't move much at all in O gauge.  

With the integral gearbox they are incredibly torqey at the output shaft but  Hornby use only the motor and a fairly high gear ratio. 

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

I wasn't aware there was a distinction.  I've only seen 'N20' mentioned in regards to the ones with the gearboxes.

As far as I'm aware, these codes are only for the motors. I've seen N30, too, which is the same width and shape as the N20, but longer.

I was saving this coreless motor for something else, but I'll use it in this MW instead. It will give plenty of power and be smoother overall. I have chopped out part of the boiler casting to get it to fit as it's about 5mm longer than the N20 and it will need to be epoxied in place. Because of that I will ensure that everything associated with the pickups, wheels and motion are working perfectly before fitting it.

20240416_125222.jpg.e61bdf431cb70e40e94d5e0197df48cb.jpg

I have some thin-walled brass tube to use as stubs to be soldered to the frame overlays to carry the brake hangers, so fitting those is the next job. The brake assemblies can then push into the tube stubs and be held by Loctite.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1