Ruston's Industrial locomotive and wagon workshop thread.

Back to the Brush/Bagnall.

The 08 body has now got the distinctive dropped section forward of the cab. It still needs tweaking and the bonnet section needs some extra length on the back end.

08conversion-001.jpg.d112d4227a2bd140af315de24130674e.jpg

The chassis block has been completely stripped down and degreased. The motor mount/gearbox has also been degreased. The upright parts of this, where the motor clips in, will be hacked off and the new motor will be glued on a plasticard plinth. The new motor (pictured below) is one of those square 6-pole things. It will be fitted with a nylon worm that I have in stock. There is nothing wrong with the Bachmann motor but it takes up so much space that it would be very difficult to fit DCC sound. I have already done this particular conversion on an 08 and it runs even better than before. The raised lump on the chassis casting will be chopped off to allow a speaker to be fitted.

08conversion-002.jpg.d0afe0fc0d01d25d61a1f8e0d60dcf59.jpg

The cosmetic outside frames are being altered to become more like the Brush's profile. Chunks of styrene have been welded in at each corner and will be sanded and filed flush once the welds have set. The buffer beam detail has been sanded off in readiness for new buffer beams. This is now where I must decide which version to build as the S&L pair had deeper buffer beams than the NCB pair.

08conversion-003.jpg.6fbafc65f36a84bef8abbdc82ae04184.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

08conversion-004.jpg.901b1f716ad2200bcfb5826c4c33d92d.jpg

The cosmetic outside frames have been extended and given new buffer beams and steps. The body now has slots cut into it for the cooling air intakes.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

On 04/03/2021 at 13:09, Corbs said:

Looking good Dave. Did you use the Berchmernn or the Hernbeh 08 as a base?

It is Bachmann.

Making the top hole, which, presumably, was the exit for the air that had passed through the radiator. If I'd thought about it a little more, I could have come up with a better solution for this but it has worked. I marked out where to cut and put masking tape on to give me something to follow. I then cut slots with a razor saw and filed the rest out. I also drilled a hole for the exhaust pipe.

The tricky part will be to put mesh that follows the top profile into the space that I have filed out

08conversion-005.jpg.7360f291fc643e299f9db0ea53afe0ee.jpg

The engine casing doors are nothing more then 10 thou, Plastikard rectangles. There are two more to go on each side but both have louvres in them and I haven't decided how to tackle this yet. I had planned on altering the 08 cab but the roof profile is different to the Brush's, so I may have to build the cab from scratch.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 15

It's been a long time since I did any milling of locomotive frames.

Bframes-3.jpg.e96dcadafbe6932b1c52754b10243b1c.jpg

40 thou, engraving brass, straight off the machine; I haven't even knocked off the pips and burrs, yet

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10

On 05/03/2021 at 12:06, Ruston said:

It is Bachmann.

Making the top hole, which, presumably, was the exit for the air that had passed through the radiator. If I'd thought about it a little more, I could have come up with a better solution for this but it has worked. I marked out where to cut and put masking tape on to give me something to follow. I then cut slots with a razor saw and filed the rest out. I also drilled a hole for the exhaust pipe.

The tricky part will be to put mesh that follows the top profile into the space that I have filed out

08conversion-005.jpg.a472f812593c41f91feb020a96ea7a2b.jpg

The engine casing doors are nothing more then 10 thou, Plastikard rectangles. There are two more to go on each side but both have louvres in them and I haven't decided how to tackle this yet. I had planned on altering the 08 cab but the roof profile is different to the Brush's, so I may have to build the cab from scratch.

The U.S. firm of Archer, which makes rivet decals, also does louvre decals. I've not used them so can't comment on their effectiveness.

1 hour ago, Barclay said:

The U.S. firm of Archer, which makes rivet decals, also does louvre decals. I've not used them so can't comment on their effectiveness.

My plan to make the louvres for the air intakes is to run a hacksaw blade sideways across a piece of plastikard until the plastic takes on the saw tooth profile. Then cut out a piece to fit in the slot. The engine casing doors that have louvres are more slotted than louvred, so this will need a different approach.

The best way would be to have them etched and I was attempting to use software to design them, and for cab window surrounds, but it's all just some mysterious black art to me. It's as if the people who design these programs think we either know instinctively how they work, or that we can read their minds. I've given up on it and decided that it will be quicker to cut them out of plasticard.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Next on the menu are these LNER type 21-ton hoppers (BR Diagram 1/143). Two are for my own use, with the other three for someone else. They are all to be repainted and weathered into BR post-1964 livery for unfitted wagons.

DSCF6962.JPG.30ce0ab1422bf549be1472b0146756ca.JPG

They are Hornby's 2015 model, which is a massive improvement over their old one and doesn't have that ridiculous plinth under the body.

DSCF6965.JPG.a23f73fbab4a7e7e09e5e547fdfd3d16.JPG

They are nice models and have the proper brake gear, and on one side only, as it should be. There's no cross shaft between the levers but, to be fair, it wouldn't be very visible anyway. I may not bother adding it. I'm off to search Mr. Bartlett's site for suitable examples for numbering and weathering...

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

Can confirm that none of the wagons in the top stockyard at Grimethorpe Coalite summers of 74 and 75 did not look  that. The ones were the Coalite was still hot had all the paint burnt off in great big patches and the handrails were often not attached everywhere they should have been 

3 hours ago, enginelane said:

Can confirm that none of the wagons in the top stockyard at Grimethorpe Coalite summers of 74 and 75 did not look  that. The ones were the Coalite was still hot had all the paint burnt off in great big patches and the handrails were often not attached everywhere they should have been 

I suspect at the time they looked immaculate they were at Askern Coalite. 

1 hour ago, 5050 said:

Have I missed something?  What's the frames for?

If I told you, I'd have to kill you. :triniti:

All will be revealed in good time.

It's not a 14-inch Hunslet 0-6-0ST, anyway. :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 1

I have been thinking about the Brush-Bagnall loco. Firstly, I have to confess that it was never going to be 100% correct on the Class 08 chassis. When I started I didn't know this and assumed that as the similar Hudswell Clarke diesel-electrics, that were built for the Manchester Ship Canal, had the same wheelbase and wheel diameter as a BR 350 then the Brush would be the same. I have since discovered that the wheelbase was 6 inches longer and the wheel diameter 6 inches smaller on the Brush.

I started without a drawing and based everything on a couple of photographs. Since acquiring a drawing I found that I had the length over frames correct and the height to the top of the engine casing is correct. I had also got the overall length of the engine casing correct - for the NCB pair but have already fitted buffer beams of the style fitted to the S&L pair. One thing I have got wrong is the dropped section of engine casing. It isn't quite as low as it should be and the overall profile isn't exactly right either.

Another problem, which I cannot resolve is that the drawing I have is for the NCB pair and so I cannot work out where the seeming extra length in the S&L pair comes in. The engine casing appears to be longer and this is another thing that has thrown the entire build.

The extra length of the S&L one is between the end of the tall section of engine casing and the cab but is the tall section shorter, is the cab shorter in length, or are the frames just longer overall?

BrushDE-1.jpg.358b386e5ad78fd964af39e757321620.jpg

BrushDE-2.jpg.17aed0206ff8c11639e67c41b2867304.jpg

Now I am thinking that I either:

Scrap the entire project.

Use the frames only and build a Hudswell Clarke.

Continue but build it as a might have been; a hybrid of the two, and on the larger wheels, as if it was an extra order for a different customer.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

Continue but build it as a might have been; a hybrid of the two, and on the larger wheels, as if it was an extra order for a different customer.

Option C and maybe finish it as a ficticious loco for some like coalite or Haematite or a cement company like Blue Circle or even Kent & Cumbria Cement Co.  

1 hour ago, Ruston said:

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Ruston said:

I have been thinking about the Brush-Bagnall loco. Firstly, I have to confess that it was never going to be 100% correct on the Class 08 chassis. When I started I didn't know this and assumed that as the similar Hudswell Clarke diesel-electrics, that were built for the Manchester Ship Canal, had the same wheelbase and wheel diameter as a BR 350 then the Brush would be the same. I have since discovered that the wheelbase was 6 inches longer and the wheel diameter 6 inches smaller on the Brush.

I started without a drawing and based everything on a couple of photographs. Since acquiring a drawing I found that I had the length over frames correct and the height to the top of the engine casing is correct. I had also got the overall length of the engine casing correct - for the NCB pair but have already fitted buffer beams of the style fitted to the S&L pair. One thing I have got wrong is the dropped section of engine casing. It isn't quite as low as it should be and the overall profile isn't exactly right either.

Another problem, which I cannot resolve is that the drawing I have is for the NCB pair and so I cannot work out where the seeming extra length in the S&L pair comes in. The engine casing appears to be longer and this is another thing that has thrown the entire build.

The extra length of the S&L one is between the end of the tall section of engine casing and the cab but is the tall section shorter, is the cab shorter in length, or are the frames just longer overall?

BrushDE-1.jpg.d86ce184010aafbc39dab7759de13811.jpgBrushDE-2.jpg.86b6c03e59afe2b87ffbd66f0ee852ec.jpg

I started drawing the NCB ones from the information in a Brush Traction publicity brochure (I presume this is what you have), this is as far as I got some years ago.

Brush400hp.pdf

1175634946_ScreenShot2021-03-18at07_20_52.png.c7f3f69bcb39ecc20095b6551ad5a8a7.png

We also took some photos and made some measurements of this ex SCoW Brush at Oswestry.

P5120946small.jpg.15d123b0159c394196da2947650d1b7b.jpg

I don't know how much these have in common with the other Brush 0-6-0DEs though.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 12/03/2021 at 11:17, Ruston said:

My plan to make the louvres for the air intakes is to run a hacksaw blade sideways across a piece of plastikard until the plastic takes on the saw tooth profile. Then cut out a piece to fit in the slot. The engine casing doors that have louvres are more slotted than louvred, so this will need a different approach.

The best way would be to have them etched and I was attempting to use software to design them, and for cab window surrounds, but it's all just some mysterious black art to me. It's as if the people who design these programs think we either know instinctively how they work, or that we can read their minds. I've given up on it and decided that it will be quicker to cut them out of plasticard.

There are EE type 1 louvre panels in the Shawplan range, which may oir may not be suitable.

Mike.

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I started drawing the NCB ones from the information in a Brush Traction publicity brochure (I presume this is what you have), this is as far as I got some years ago.

Brush400hp.pdf 35.76 kB · 2 downloads

1175634946_ScreenShot2021-03-18at07_20_52.png.c7f3f69bcb39ecc20095b6551ad5a8a7.png

We also took some photos and made some measurements of this ex SCoW Brush at Oswestry.

P5120946small.jpg.15d123b0159c394196da2947650d1b7b.jpg

I don't know how much these have in common with the other Brush 0-6-0DEs though.

The Brush publicity brochure drawing is what I have got. It only shows pictures and a drawing of the NCB ones though. To be honest, i wouldn't be bothered if it was the NCB or the S&L, if you made a kit of either of them with the dropped engine casing, I'd have it anyway! How far down the list is it?

From the Bagnall works lists it seems the wheel diameter and wheelbase was the same on all variants of the 0-6-0DE but nothing is mentioned about the length of frames.

The bodywork on this thing of mine is too far along to change it to the NCB one now. I may just finish it in the style of the S&L ones and gloss over the incorrect profile and wrong wheels until it can be replaced by Mike's proper kit version. I'm sure I could sell it for enough cash to buy the kit and everything needed to finish it.

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

There are EE type 1 louvre panels in the Shawplan range, which may oir may not be suitable.

Mike.

Thanks. I'll look into that.

• Like 2