Scratchbuilt Window Frames

nest

• RMweb Gold

Hello Everyone

Not sure if this is the best place but a quick question regarding window frames.

I am currently on my first round of proper scratchbuilt buildings and am stuck at a crucial moment. I am curious as to what methods people have used aside from buying ready made frames? I am working to some specific sizes so am currently struggling to find suitable ready made ones. I am inclined to cut out from card but am worried about the strength of these during assembly.

Any guidance much appreciated! 

Nestor  

What style of window are you trying to create.

These are from Bradford on Avon station and are made from profiled plastic strip backed with a custom made etch.

IMG_7505a.JPG.802e647f94e193acd402b0f9992c882e.JPGIMG_8455a.JPG.40098710226c5ec759b194297aa3ad52.JPG

Whereas these are just done with white paint in a bow pen with some plastic strip added around the edge to give a bit of depth.

IMG_5085b.JPG.ac7e47adb8a757ea11aa283709338436.JPG

Stu

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks both of you

The ones currently in question are for a small Bavarian Engine Shed in H0. I like the idea of white paint with plastic strip round the edge. These look closer to what I have in mind. 

I will do some experimenting with both Plasticard strip and white paint and see which my hands are more capable of doing. Previous buildings have been from kits but I'm keen to get some scratchbuilding done well. 

Thanks 

Nestor  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Paul H Vigor said:

It's about gathering a few simple tools - blades, straight edges, files, etc - and having a go. Each one you make will be better than the last, because you learn as you model.

Exactly, lockdown furlough is providing plenty of time for experimenting... 

Nestor   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Many different methods. I draw them out on the pc, print them onto ordinary paper then cut out with a sharp scalpel. Then stick to glazing. You can see examples on my layout thread.

I'm thinking of a "Worgret Junction' style signalbox, so might try the bow pen route for that. 

• Like 1

I am doing 0 gauge and building kits from Scalescenes and FineScale Buildings (now gone alas).

Getting windows to look reasonable in this scale means I can't use the recommended methods in the kits. 

My approach was to make a jig for all the planned windows and layer up the windows using plastic strip.  Very much a matter of making it up as I went along, but the results are pretty reasonable I think.  This picture summarizes what I did:

P1010176.JPG.0e3d0e1b14ffa6bfb4d900e0a45fe896.JPG

These are windows for the FineScale Buildings Station Masters House.  I used the LCut window, lower right, as a model.  I did look around for ready made windows, like LCut, but didn't find anything suitable.  If you are scratch building you can size your door and window apertures for, say, LCut.

Doors were tackled in a similar way:

P1010177.JPG.ddaab56b9b581262069fe00d423b8197.JPG

HTH

John

• Like 6

10 hours ago, nest said:

Thanks guys

There's some very useful pointers here, I'll report back in due course with results... 

Nestor 

I also supply lasercut 4mm windows and I will produce bespoke sizes and designs quite reasonably priced if you need.

187297128_4mmshops.jpg.6d7f03b0e7ef3febca6a14a167acb492.jpg

Edited by BrushType4
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

4 hours ago, Blandford1969 said:

What sort of drawing do you need, that sort of service could be very useful?

Ideally a dxf file from a CAD but understanding that not everyone has access or the skills for CAD, a pen and paper drawing with either scale dimensions or actual dimensions will work. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BrushType4 said:

Ideally a dxf file from a CAD but understanding that not everyone has access or the skills for CAD, a pen and paper drawing with either scale dimensions or actual dimensions will work. 

Thanks, will bear that in mind once drawings for West Moors are finished. 

• Like 1

I tried cutting them from plastruct strips but my results were so bad I gave up. They all looked crooked & were inconsistent with each other. Bloody awful.

Then I tried resin 3d printing & it was a game changer. I can now print the windows I want. They are neat & consistent. The only drawback is that I don't think waving a mouse around feels like modelling to me.

There are some photos of my buildings in my layout thread (a link to this is in my signature).