Filler that could easily take a screw?

• RMweb Gold

I am modifying a model using a resin body on an RTR chassis. However, because I have had to remove the body a couple of times, I find that the resin material has not provided a resilient purchase for the screw. I've tried sticking a piece of plastic over the screw hole. That gripped the screw well but used superglue to stick it down and that has come away from the resin. I could redo that but I wonder if it would be better to fill the original screw hole in the resin and use a self tapping screw. 

Could anyone please suggest the most suitable filler to use? Thank you.

If you use Milliput it can be drilled and  tapped, carefully, and your screw replaced by a machine screw.

Self tapping screws rely on distorting whatever you are tapping into, do the forces will just destroy any resin filler

Edited by JeffP
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, JeffP said:

If you use Milliput it can be drilled and  tapped, carefully, and your screw replaced by a machine screw.

Self tapping screws rely on distorting whatever you are tapping into, do the forces will just destroy any resin filler

Thanks. I accept your point about self tappers. Will have to search the screw box and get some taps - always something missing from the toolbox! :)

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, HR_Line said:

Epoxy would work but you'd probably need to drill a pilot hole into it otherwise it could split.

If the item is big enough you could retap the resin, insert a helicoil and screw into that.

Thanks. Something to think about.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

Could you fill the hole with epoxy and push the self tapper in before it sets ? That way the glue would set around the screw and hold it in place. 

Thanks but I think I would be worried about taking the screw out again and doing more damage though. The loco is DCC and I have had a bit of bother with the chip and had to remove the body a couple of times already.

• RMweb Gold

I think I'd try and expoxy a suitable nut on the inside. Then just use a machine screw into that.

Trick is to keep the epoxy out of the threads, but any that does leak in can be cleaned out with a tap. The screwing kind, not the water kind!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, ikcdab said:

I think I'd try and expoxy a suitable nut on the inside. Then just use a machine screw into that.

Trick is to keep the epoxy out of the threads, but any that does leak in can be cleaned out with a tap. The screwing kind, not the water kind!

Thanks. That sounds feasible. Need to buy some suitable screws and nuts but that should be OK.