RevolutioN Trains Announce Cartic-4 Car Carriers in N Gauge

sc2016

13 hours ago, Western Aviator said:

The farthest south-west that these wagons appear to have travelled (unless someone knows otherwise) is Exeter. Premier Transport used rail for various goods including cars which arrived on Speedlink and later Railfreight Distribution Contract Services from Garston, Merseyside.

I would agree with Exeter being the most westerly known unloading point.

I have a vague memory of seeing a set in a train to the west of Exeter. The only explanation I could think of was a set for Exeter had become reversed on the journey from the loading point, and the set was going to go round the Laira triangle then back to Exeter St Davids for unloading. (I can not find the photo at present)

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
clarification
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, branchie said:

An inspired choice of wagon. 

What version would be suitable for the WCML in the early 1980s?

Looks like I might finally get to pop my Revolution cheery! 

Kind regards. 

Hallo,

The pic from Flickr in my post further up is 1983. Here a clip Rugby station 1984, start at 1m59s. So original build, grubby.

Does this help?

es grüßt 

pc

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, branchie said:

An inspired choice of wagon. 

What version would be suitable for the WCML in the early 1980s?

Hi there,

Thanks!  The Cartics were introduced in 1966.  My research so far suggests BR Motorail used theirs until about 1978, after which they had the branding removed and were put into general use. From 1982 Silcock and Collings started applying side screens, then roofs, and MAT started adding mesh sides from 1984.  STVA, on acquiring MAT in 1996, launched a refurbishment programme and the STVA branded sets started appearing.

So any of the originals, and depending how early you're going, possibly the Silcock and Collings conversions.  There are some we are not offering (eg Tolemans, MAT mesh sides and roof) but that is because they were either relatively few in number, or their use is duplicated by those we are.

cheers

Ben A.

• Thanks 1

Although cartics were never very numerous in the West Country there were other traffic flows as well as they long running Garston to Exeter St Davids traffic. In 1983 BR gained some revenue from some car and light commercial vehicle imports and exports through Royal Portbury dock which were loaded to rail at Bristol Temple Meads from the Motorail dock behind platform 2, and also at Pylle Hill NCL depot. Some of this traffic went away on special trains (Leith was one destination), but some went forward on Speedlink services. Some consignments were entirely loaded on cartic 4-sets, but sometimes there were autic 2-sets mixed in with them. 

scan0093.jpg.cfed6425df328857e6ebe990d03c4a87.jpg

An aerial view of Bristol Kingsland Road Yard sees a cartic 4-set stabled on one of the outside roads. 20/9/83

scan0024.jpg.23614be4ccab9990280a16a04dd71535.jpg

Here is a loaded set at Pylle Hill. From the time I knew the depot here 1977 onwards the sidings were only used to stable parcels stock during the day, and some parcel vans were loaded here with the Observer weekly colour supplement. I don't remember any other freight traffic. ??/8/83

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
clarification
  • Like 9

Dagenham Dock was one location where cartics could be seen in large numbers, but even there some shorter trains. The use of class 56s on this traffic was unusual, but during the miners strike in 1984 many class 56 and 58 locos were spare due to cancelled coal services.

scan0017.jpg.ac40e488e8c0fb79c7b0ef705f079169.jpg

A short train arrives at Dagenham Dock behind 56123. On the adjacent road is the prototype Procar 80 car carrier.   27/7/84

cheers

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

I don't want to put a damper on the Cartic project, but a bit of bitter experience to relate about the NGS kit version. I built 2 of original sets and they ran fine until I loaded them with 64(!)  Oxford Ford Anglias; they looked terrific but my (current)  Farish 37s and 47 couldn't cope with the weight!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Crepello said:

I don't want to put a damper on the Cartic project, but a bit of bitter experience to relate about the NGS kit version. I built 2 of original sets and they ran fine until I loaded them with 64(!)  Oxford Ford Anglias; they looked terrific but my (current)  Farish 37s and 47 couldn't cope with the weight!

Funnily enough, I was looking at some Oxford plain white transits in the Hattons website and the same thought occurred to me regarding my IPA's.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, jpendle said:

I was looking at some Oxford plain white transits in the Hattons website and the same thought occurred to me regarding my IPA's.

The Oxford Transits [for example] are surprisingly heavy, so don’t get caught out by this when figuring out how many cartic sets to buy if you plan to run as a loaded rake.... I guess the clue is in the name - not called “Oxford Diecast” for nothing :D !.... it does limit the rake length if loading up with vehicles, as it really contributes a lot of weight.... I’ve had to split my IPA rake into two sets when I want to portray them as loaded (I have 32 Transits which really is a lot of weight!).... perhaps there are other brands of suitable vehicles that are made from plastic and therefore lighter....?

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, JR_P said:

The Oxford Transits [for example] are surprisingly heavy, so don’t get caught out by this when figuring out how many cartic sets to buy if you plan to run as a loaded rake.... I guess the clue is in the name - not called “Oxford Diecast” for nothing :D !.... it does limit the rake length if loading up with vehicles, as it really contributes a lot of weight.... I’ve had to split my IPA rake into two sets when I want to portray them as loaded (I have 32 Transits which really is a lot of weight!).... perhaps there are other brands of suitable vehicles that are made from plastic and therefore lighter....?

Although it's a faff, cutting most of the chassis away lightens the load considerably, if they are only loads then it shouldn't be noticeable.

Mike.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I expect Ben and Mike a trawling images ready to create bags of cars as these do seem a popular part of this topic - a bit like light bars for coaches - a useful add on user fitted product.  

At work the other day we were recalling  a Longbridge- Washwood Heath trip that ran via New st - sadly one loader had upped the aerial and being on top deck got too close to OLE in Gloucester tunnels - a flaming BL product popped past the PSB with shouts of "keep in going"  despite calls from station staff awake in the early hours. PSB  manager coolly  called Saltley PSB  SSM to advised  Saltley you have a problem coming !!   

I guess that an ongoing car  radio thefts will be required by the top of the range customer - I wonder the DCC CV for "smoke and Flame CV 999 ?...     

Robert 

• Funny 4

• RMweb Premium

Anyone wishing the NGS had offered this?:

17227043075_02e0aa056d_w.jpg

Hunslet 0-6-0 no5 Loco seen at Fords Dagenham 23-2-82. I Cuthbertson collection by Ian Cuthbertson, on Flickr

The following are also worth typing into Flickr's search bar:

6L42

6M37

(Dagenham to Garston Speke & return)

What are the blue ended vans used for the Ford traffic? They're very similar to VGA but with ferry fittings. Are they they single version of the Cargowagon Twins already released by Revolution? For some reason searching for "Ford van" doesn't list many railway wagons...

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steven,

The IWAs you're interested in were built about 3 years before the twins offered by Revolution, and are to an almost identical design.   The primary difference is that they are single wagons (my understanding is that the type offered by Revolution was made as a permanent twin by Duewag to take advantage of European grants for 4-axle wagons) and they don't have the characteristic solid underframe with four holes.  The end framing and roof looks identical, though the doors have one extra panel each. 

There was a similar wagon by Minitrix (Hbbllins) released some years ago which has the right number of panels per door, but a different roof contour and ends, and solid underframe.

An interesting conversion or scratch-build job!

The Hunslet is rather nice but was not included in the NGS range because (a) it's a slightly different type to that being offered and (b) 15 variants was considered enough!

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yet another brilliant release from revolution! I've wanted a rake of these for years. I best get cracking with the layout, what with 92s, KFAs, IZAs and IPAs to finish weathering and then 321, 313 and now the cartic-4s on the way, things are looking good for finally having the stock available to model the WCML properly.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/03/2021 at 15:03, Ben A said:

There was a similar wagon by Minitrix (Hbbllins) released some years ago which has the right number of panels per door, but a different roof contour and ends, and solid underframe.

Or you can leave them as is if, like me, you consider them “close enough”. The body of the Minitrix model is about 1mm wider than that of the Farish VGA and about 1.2mm wider than the Revolution IZA but measured over the red Railfreight and Speedlink panels the Farish VGA is actually 0.5mm wider than the Minitrix model. As can be seen, the difference in height is minimal.

54A5A9CA-6B7E-48AF-8EB6-40EE4A6C76DA.jpeg.57d518c367e07507bdce5ad721066788.jpeg

53BE155B-C719-4EDF-BE4B-CB9AEFC3BA4C.jpeg.fb303bc8b9160efb56d623eaa96f1dd7.jpeg

Edited by Western Aviator
More useful pictures added
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi Steven,

The IWAs you're interested in were built about 3 years before the twins offered by Revolution, and are to an almost identical design.   The primary difference is that they are single wagons (my understanding is that the type offered by Revolution was made as a permanent twin by Duewag to take advantage of European grants for 4-axle wagons) and they don't have the characteristic solid underframe with four holes.  The end framing and roof looks identical, though the doors have one extra panel each. 

Found a picture with Cargowaggon twins on the Ford train, unfortunately we can't tell if there were any Cartics on the train as well.

Keith. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, Ben A said:

The IWAs you're interested in were built about 3 years before the twins offered by Revolution, and are to an almost identical design.  

<snip>

Interesting but time consuming! The ferry single vans (Hbfis) on the Ford traffic rarely carried Cargowagon branding. Most carried Ford logos. It wasn't uncommon to have one VGA running with two-four Hbfis so I'll stretch reality and run my Cartics with four or five VGA.

Warrington Arpley has appeared on previous Revolution threads. Here's one I've found with a class 25, HAA, pair of Cartic-4 and a brake van:

49908170091_03e11f761c_w.jpg

n85-81s by john catterson, on Flickr

The brake van has side lamps so I'm guessing the train is running at least partially unbraked and consists of wagons going for repair.

Steven B.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm spending too much time on Flickr:

Single Cartic-4 were common on the Gateshead to Toton Speedlink working (6M79), usually running empty south-bound with white roof VAA/VBA/VDA with Rowntrees traffic:

https://flic.kr/p/gVSgHQ

Buying three sets but only have cars to fill two? Not a problem:

50582859746_ca4377bd6d_w.jpg

40086 Arpley Jn 290983 (6T62) by Michael Hart, on Flickr

Steven B.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Couple pics of progress in helping the rtr project along.   I have found the side screens in the kit almost unbuildable  with uber tiny glue pads  so I have strong backed and added a handrail for the Silcock verison and thus can now be painted off model and added once cars are loaded. 

716395799_Ncartic4230321001.jpg.941462409ef62af9d42d5a9750fc1b0c.jpg

1326632459_Ncartic4230321002.jpg.65198642f3224b28f61d8ed689bf1dc5.jpg Laid on top but I see in the wrong place they do look the part now and with a little painting of details will do for me. I am sure the Revolution ones will make mine look home spun, but it is the joy of building ! 

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1