RevolutioN Trains Announce Cartic-4 Car Carriers in N Gauge

sc2016

Nice Robert.  To my regret I didn't have the funds to get more than one when the kit was still available.  Hopefully I'll have the funds when the RTR version comes out to get the three I was wanting.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 23/03/2021 at 23:46, Ben A said:

Hi Robert,

Nice job!  What colour did you use for the Silcock ones?

cheers

Ben A.

Thanks Ben, in answer :

Nissan red 526 as an orangy red having looked at phots on Pauls site and Flikr - given all the risks associated with old photos and perceptions on scale colour the grey side panels - which I guess were unpainted stainless looking at the weathering is Ford Polar grey - both Halford Rattle cans, all on  Halford grey primer.  The rail blue is from Ricolett paints in MK as BR 114 blue and matches the Dapol Western/ class 22 - also seen at work without rail blue era staff getting frothy, so that does for me !!    

Off to consider how to make up a  handrail chain for the upper decks on the blue one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

Thanks Ben, in answer :

Nissan red 526 as an orangy red having looked at phots on Pauls site and Flikr - given all the risks associated with old photos and perceptions on scale colour the grey side panels - which I guess were unpainted stainless looking at the weathering is Ford Polar grey - both Halford Rattle cans, all on  Halford grey primer.  The rail blue is from Ricolett paints in MK as BR 114 blue and matches the Dapol Western/ class 22 - also seen at work without rail blue era staff getting frothy, so that does for me !!    

Off to consider how to make up a  handrail chain for the upper decks on the blue one.

They look good Robert. I still have two of the blue sets to build to add to my existing three. I foolishly didnt aquire any of the Silcock ones at the time.

The orange looks like a fairly good resemblence of a weathered example to me although from seeing them many times on the WCML my memory is telling me that when cleaner they were more orangy.

Regards

Scott

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Slightly off topic, since I'm pretty certain know these aren't the vehicles being offered here, but can anyone identify what these are, at Perth around 1985?:

4472 Flying Scotsman at Perth

Best

Scott.

Edited by scottystitch

• RMweb Premium

Premier Transport at Exeter received cars from Garston with Cartic-4 being used to transport the cars - usually one or two Silcock orange sets.

6B19/6C46 (Exeter Riverside to Newport Alexandra Dock Junction) and 6B97 (Tavistock Junction to Gloucester New Yard) both regularly included Cartic-4 wagons.  Other common wagons in the rakes included Hold-all ferry vans (Revolution), OCA (Farish), VGA (Farish), VAA/VDA, HEA (Farish), bogie Polybulk (Farish) and PBA Clay-Tigers.

https://flic.kr/p/RHqByE

https://flic.kr/p/2iZ8P9p

https://flic.kr/p/NDY8E4

https://flic.kr/p/2k32Wvz

I'm sure I read somewhere that Kernow were scaling their PBA to N Gauge (although only in the later blue livery?) which just leaves the HEA and 20' 9" WB vans to be upgraded to current standards!

Steven B.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Steven B said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Kernow were scaling their PBA to N Gauge (although only in the later blue livery?) 

The PBAs are probably the last major “must have” wagon for me so I am always on the lookout for any sign that someone might make them in N but I haven’t seen anything yet. There’s been lots of wishful thinking (mine included) but nothing definite. If you remember where you read it I’d be very interested. 

Edited by Western Aviator

• RMweb Premium

Found it - they'll be an EFE branded product but only in the later blue livery.

Twelve in total, four each of unweathered, light weathering and heavily weathered:

Hopefully they'll sell well enough that they consider doing the earlier white livery at some point.

Steven B

Those Imerys JNAs were never white, they arrived new in blue as replacements/additions to the earlier PBA Clay Tigers, which as far as I know have still never been produced either in original white or Tiphook blue.

As such, I suspect that it is these white clay tigers that Western Aviator is yearning rather than these later wagons.

Or then I could have it completely wrong LOL

Regards

Scott

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Scott B said:

Those Imerys JNAs were never white, they arrived new in blue as replacements/additions to the earlier PBA Clay Tigers, which as far as I know have still never been produced either in original white or Tiphook blue.

As such, I suspect that it is these white clay tigers that Western Aviator is yearning rather than these later wagons.

Or then I could have it completely wrong LOL

Regards

Scott

No Scott, you’re spot on. The PBAs appeared in 1982 in Tiger white and were repainted into Tiphook blue in 1993/4. I’m not sure exactly when the JIAs (that EFE are producing) appeared but photos from 2001 show both types in the same train so it must have been around that time. The PBAs have never been produced RTR in N gauge but a body shell only has been available on Shapeways for some time.

I wouldn’t exactly say I’m yearning for them but I will be very pleased if/when they do ever get made and I’m sure lots of other people will be too.

Apologies for the thread drift, back to the Cartics...

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi all,

Apologies for maintaining the thread drift, albeit briefly, but the JIAs offered by EFE Rail are shrunk down versions of the same wagons produced by Kernow in 00, of the more recent type. 

However, Kernow have also produced the *original* clay tigers in 00 and I would be stunned if they are not shrunk down to N fairly soon in due course - especially if the already announced JIAs are a success.

I am certainly after some of the modern types, but I would also be very tempted with the originals, though probably in the later blue livery.

cheers

Ben A.  

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi all,

Apologies for maintaining the thread drift, albeit briefly, but the JIAs offered by EFE Rail are shrunk down versions of the same wagons produced by Kernow in 00, of the more recent type. 

However, Kernow have also produced the *original* clay tigers in 00 and I would be stunned if they are not shrunk down to N fairly soon in due course - especially if the already announced JIAs are a success.

I am certainly after some of the modern types, but I would also be very tempted with the originals, though probably in the later blue livery.

cheers

Ben A.  

Certinly cannot argue and I would agree with your logic Ben :-)

Scott

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 30/03/2021 at 13:46, Steven B said:

Premier Transport at Exeter received cars from Garston with Cartic-4 being used to transport the cars - usually one or two Silcock orange sets.

6B19/6C46 (Exeter Riverside to Newport Alexandra Dock Junction) and 6B97 (Tavistock Junction to Gloucester New Yard) both regularly included Cartic-4 wagons.  Other common wagons in the rakes included Hold-all ferry vans (Revolution), OCA (Farish), VGA (Farish), VAA/VDA, HEA (Farish), bogie Polybulk (Farish) and PBA Clay-Tigers.

https://flic.kr/p/RHqByE

https://flic.kr/p/2iZ8P9p

https://flic.kr/p/NDY8E4

https://flic.kr/p/2k32Wvz

I'm sure I read somewhere that Kernow were scaling their PBA to N Gauge (although only in the later blue livery?) which just leaves the HEA and 20' 9" WB vans to be upgraded to current standards!

Steven B.

On the same Speedlink theme, the S&C orange sets used to appear on Whitemoor-Norwich SLK trips as well, usually just a single set of 4. They were also seen under repair at March Marcroft.

I will certainly be in for a pair of these, one loaded one empty, as well as some blue ones. Wallet getting ready for a pounding.

Scott

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 20/11/2021 at 11:37, gedlee said:

Hi All,

Order book is now open for the N Gauge Cartic 4s.

Time to brush down the plastic!!

cheers, Ged 

So it is! I missed that, was it announced anywhere (other than your kind post above of course :) )?

Silcock Express for me. Looking forward to these. Another brilliant model choice of model by revolution. 

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/product-category/pre-order/ngauge/cartic-4-n-2mm/

Hi David,

I haven't seen them announced yet. Ben and Mike often create maps to illustrate the working diagrams, across the country, that wagons have been used for throughout their history. They could be working on that before putting an announcement of the Revolution website.

Cheers,

Ged.

16 minutes ago, gedlee said:

Hi David,

I haven't seen them announced yet. Ben and Mike often create maps to illustrate the working diagrams, across the country, that wagons have been used for throughout their history. They could be working on that before putting an announcement of the Revolution website.

Cheers,

Ged.

Lets hope so Ged, I always enjoy the diagrams they put together outlining workings at different times of a wagons life. 

Thanks again for sharing the news. 

All the best,

Dave