RevolutioN Trains Announce First Locomotive in OO Gauge the Class 93

sc2016

Information to be added when released. Edited Information Now Released and Added 21:15.

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/revolution-goes-tri-mode-with-rog/

Information from Above Link: 

Revolution Trains is to produce the all-new Class 93 tri-mode locomotive being built for Rail Operations Group by Stadler as its first powered model in 00/4mm scale.

image.png.f91bdd09f94a4d8cd789f559459634bd.png

Class 93 image courtesy ROG/Stadler

Rail Operations Group has ordered ten of the new Class 93 locomotives, with options on a further 20, and the first is to be delivered in early 2023.

The Class 93 is designed to operate on 25kv overhead power supply, with an inboard diesel engine, or using heavy duty batteries; allowing it to be almost silent while in stations or other built up areas while optmizing efficiency across the network and maximizing low carbon benefits. The Class 93 will be able to run at speeds of up to 110mph and the diesel power unit is specified to be powerful enough for prolonged mainline running, not just ‘last mile’ operation.

Revolution Trains is delighted to have been chosen by ROG and Stadler to produce the Class 93 tri-mode locomotive, which is arguably the most exciting and innovative development on the real railway for many years.

image.png.972b2d0b6e1019284af749f946abe7f0.png

Neil Bennett, Executive Chairman of Rail Operations Group, said: “Along with our well-established rolling-stock movement business, we have very exciting plans for the Class 93 including low-carbon logistics services operating at speeds of up to 110mph.  I am delighted to be working with Revolution Trains on reproducing the locomotive in model form.”

This will be Revolution’s first powered model aimed at 00 gauge/4mm scale modellers, but Revolution has already delivered, or is developing, six 00 wagons: TEA tankers, MMA/JNA ‘Ealnos’ box wagons, IZA Cargowaggon twins (a Kernow exclusive), IWA ‘Sfins2’ vans, IWA ‘Rfnoos’ timber carriers and FWA ‘Ecofret’ container flats.

The model will be to 4mm:1ft scale, 1:76.2 with RP25-110 wheels with space for EM/P4 fitting. They will feature our usual high levels of detailing including photo-etched and separate parts where appropriate, prototypical lighting arrangements, 21-pin DCC socket, and heavy metal chassis with full provision for DCC Sound. DCC Sound-fitted models will also be available.

We will offer multiple numbers, factory-fitted buffer-beam details at one end (though a spare NEM coupler will also be included for customers who wish to couple the loco at both ends) and we will investigate the provision of a DCC operated pantograph mechanism.

The full specification is subject to revision during the design phase, but will be confirmed by the time we open the order book.

image.png.442ae91c97673e786d5e8941e7a7d830.png

Rail Operations Group’s core business is moving rolling stock around the network.

Rail Operations Group has exciting plans for the Class 93, and while initially they are likely to be used mainly to service ROG’s existing and well-established rolling stock movement business, the company also sees the locomotives being used as part of its proposed ‘Orion’ high speed centre-to-centre low carbon logistics trains as well as 110mph intermodal services. 

ROG is planning to begin trials of its first converted Class 319 units in April 2021. The image below show the first unit being unveiled last month.

image.png.77448a8afc1419afaca8663300b5bff1.png

The Class 93 models will be offered in ROG’s stylish green and black launch livery, and it is understood that they are to be named after Roman Gods.

The terms of the licence mean that ROG and Stadler will work closely with Revolution, sharing important technical specifications, 3D data and design drawings, to ensure the models are as accurate as possible and that any changes made during construction are incorporated.

Class 93 Initial Specification

• Heavy diecast chassis with smooth electric motor and flywheels and provision for DCC and Sound
  • 4mm-ft/1:76.2 scale 00 (16.5mm) gauge, with provision for simple conversion to EM/P4
  • Separately applied etched metal or fine plastic details
  • NEM coupler sockets with fully detailed, factory-fitted bufferbeam at one end (second coupler in accessory pack)
  • DCC provision: 21 pin decoder socket
  • Prototypical lighting arrangements, switchable for DC users where necessary
  • Twin speakers on sound-fitted models
  • RP25 (110) wheels with provision for simple conversion to EM/P4
  • We will investigate options for a DCC operated pantograph mechanism, though the pantograph itself will be cosmetic

It is intended that the models will be delivered as soon as possible after the prototypes enter service.

Edited by sc2016
Extra Information Released
  • Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good call. Saves DJ Models putting down a marker

It'll be interesting to see the full size and model projects progressing - with the model not too far behind the real thing.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Bit of an odd announcement. Dapol would have been my guess due to its similarity to the 68

How much similarity is there? It's not like the 88

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/rail-operations-uk-ltd-orders-class-93-tri-modes

https://www.revolutiontrains.com/revolution-goes-tri-mode-with-rog/

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Bit of an odd announcement. Dapol would have been my guess due to its similarity to the 68

More chance of a hot place turning to solid water than Dapol doing a 93, seen as they seem to be showing next to no interest in the 88.

Edited by newbryford
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yes and no.  The 93s are not the 88s - technically they are significantly different diesel prime mover plus batteries vs last mile diesel.  Externally the front end will be completely different as per the mockup that Stadler and ROG (copy on our website) - as the 93 will be styled along the standard Stadler Eurodual lines rather than the rather unique 68/88 front end.

Cheers Mike

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, newbryford said:

More chance of a hot place turning to solid water than Dapol doing a 93, seen as they're seem to be showing next to no interest in the 88.

Yes that's one of the reasons I am surprised by this. The 88 has been around a few years, bi mode class of 10. This has been announced officially as a contract a month, class of 10 and there's a model on the way.

• Like 1

Interesting if the ROG locomotives were a series of custom colour schemes like the German Taurus locomotives which commemorate famous composers or anniversaries.... Lots of brightly coloured trains atrracting attention to ROG and an interesting set of locomotives for us modellers!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, davepallant said:

Interesting if the ROG locomotives were a series of custom colour schemes like the German Taurus locomotives which commemorate famous composers or anniversaries.... 

Hi Dave,

My understanding is that they will be named after Roman gods, though I don't know if the line-up has been finalised.   That isn't to say of course that ROG won't put some extra  livery variations into the mix...

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

A real surprise announcement...I hope it's done in N gauge some day.

From Revolution 

The Class 93 models will be offered in ROG’s stylish green and black launch livery, and it is understood that they are to be named after Roman Gods.

The terms of the licence – which covers both 00 and N gauge models – mean that ROG and Stadler will work closely with Revolution, sharing important technical specifications, 3D data and design drawings, to ensure the models are as accurate as possible and that any changes made during construction are incorporated.

Class 93 Initial Specification

Heavy diecast chassis with smooth electric motor and flywheels and provision for DCC and Sound

4mm-ft/1:76.2 scale 00 (16.5mm) gauge, with provision for simple conversion to EM/P4

Separately applied etched metal or fine plastic details

NEM coupler sockets with fully detailed, factory-fitted bufferbeam at one end (second coupler in accessory pack)

DCC provision: 21 pin decoder socket

Prototypical lighting arrangements, switchable for DC users where necessary

Twin speakers on sound-fitted models

RP25 (110) wheels with provision for simple conversion to EM/P4

We will investigate options for a DCC operated pantograph mechanism, though the pantograph itself will be cosmetic

It is intended that the models will be delivered as soon as possbile after the prototypes enter service.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Well done the boys from Revolution . A bit of a coo for them I'd say .  With interest in modern railways still high (witness all these class 68s and 66s flying off the shelf) I think these will be a major hit with most up to date modelers having to buy one . And not least because its exciting !   As they've come to a licensing agreement it pretty much takes the threat of duplication away I think .  So I think a very good move . 

Looking forward to seeing more details as they emerge , not least the price !

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Sorry I hadn’t realised how different they were to the 68’s. Just saw the blurb that they were an evolution of them. My apologies 

The original images etc from a few years ago suggested they were an 88 with a bigger engine which is maybe where you got that from.

I like that idea - I am sure children would love it as well when thinking about the different woods used to make the wands in Harry Potter

however it might be a bit strange naming them Blackthorn, Holly or Beech

What about the gods and goddesses of the forests, lakes and mountains? They would have to borrow from the Greek pantheon - the Nymphs are numerous enough and have some interesting names such as Electra, Asterope, Nephele

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, newbryford said:

All the EM2s were named after goddesses.

That would be a good series to use.

Tongue in cheek time

Although the 93 is being promoted has having "eco" credentials - why not name them after trees?

Then we could call them Class ninety-trees.......for the benefit of Irish readers

I'll get me coat.

:D

I like the suggestion of naming them after female goddesses.  Then we could call them Class ninety-shes...

Can you grab my coat too please??

cheers

Ben A.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

1 hour ago, letterspider said:

This is an exciting announcement - it would be nice to see locomotives named after female goddesses - there are already many locomotives named after the male gods - or is there some protocol for naming locos that I am not aware of?

Most if not all of the EM2 goddess names were reused for the 88, though not in the same order: Electra, Ariadne, Aurora, Diana, Juno, Minerva and Pandora.

The EM1/76s that were named were (apart from Tommy and 26020) were the final boiler equipped dozen names after male Greek mythological characters. I cant remember the right order but I'll have a stab: Hector, Stentor, Mentor, Nestor, Pluto, Prometheus, Perseus, Jason, Triton,  Archimedes, Diomedes and Ulysses was the last one. I think Triton and Pluto were the only gods in the list. I'm not aware of any of these being in current use and there are all the names of planets and moons (all of mythological origin) to recycle: Hermes/Mercury, Aphrodite/Venus, Aries?Mars, Zeus/ Jupiter etc  Triton became Neptune and one of the 50s carried that (Achilles too) but there's a bunch of other characters like Sisyphus (rolling boulders uphill for eternity) Charon (boatman to the underworld, and Plutos moon) Narcissus, Medusa, Cerberus. A rich seam to mine.

• Informative/Useful 2