RevolutioN Trains Announce First Locomotive in OO Gauge the Class 93

sc2016

I thought about those gods and their dark character resonates with the black livery

however I'm not sure names like Hades, Persephone and Cerebus ( think along the lines of Lucifer Morningstar) would go down well with the public - perhaps these locos will be hidden away working on night time rosters

Edited by letterspider

• RMweb Premium

With Revolution's ties with ROG, maybe they could get a loco named after the company?

Ah - oh - errrrr.

Oops! Been there, done that-especially for Revo's deputy chief operating officer

• Funny 5

47 minutes ago, newbryford said:

With Revolution's ties with ROG, maybe they could get a loco named after the company?

Ah - oh - errrrr.

Oops! 

What call the first one Revolution but surely that won't catch on will it or follow any other locomotives will it.  :jester:

A very good choice indeed. Dapol did well with the 68s. Why? Not a rehash of something already produced but brand new and exciting. Original styling. Best of all, an exclusive deal. Same applies here. Any downsides? Just the possibility of last-minute changes to the original when the model is tooled up and a working pantograph is a challenge*.

As for an 88, it has happened over and over again that the production of a model in a particular area generates an appetite for more models in the same area. Heljan’s Falcon and Bachmann’s Wainwright C are two examples.

*“Challenge” meaning a challenge (by Bachmann and Accurascale), not a difficulty.

• 2 months later...

9 hours ago, newbryford said:

Not too sure how they can provide an update when the real thing hasn't even been seen yet........

I suppose I just wanted them to know there's someone out here who's still interested.

Edited by Dixie Dean

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

Beyond agreeing the licence and maintaining contact with those involved in the project there is little for us to do until the real things are more advanced in their development cycle.

Realistically we aren't expecting to begin the CAD until autumn.

cheers

Ben A.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not exactly my bag, but another new electric loco to the marketplace is good, following on from Bachmann's 90, Heljan's 86, Accurascales 92 and Hornby's 87 and one which I will follow, I can see why folk would think the 88 would appear before the 93, surely, DRS are bigger players in the railfreight marketplace also, than ROG ?

With this development, logically, someone is going to come to the table and offer an appropriate catenary package to look after the delivery of fictitious electric supply to the now considerable list of electric locos and EMUs ?

(as in more than just single masts, multi-track spans for different settings and also networks i.e. WCML, ECML, MML, GWML etc., also, terminating wire masts or ready to use solutions for the above) 

The devil is in the detail, masts but no cantilevers isn't great.

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD

Edited by DBC90024

• RMweb Premium

Obviously that’s a different topic altogether, but I think you’ve explained yourself why it’s unlikely - 4 different geographical styles, multiple mast types… you want accurate OHLE then scratch build it. You want generic - there are options. RTP ‘prototypical’ OHLE is a poison chalice IMO! How would a manufacturer choose what to do?

Anyway. Looking forward to watching the development of the 93 in 1:1 and smaller sizes!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, njee20 said:

Obviously that’s a different topic altogether, but I think you’ve explained yourself why it’s unlikely - 4 different geographical styles, multiple mast types… you want accurate OHLE then scratch build it. You want generic - there are options. RTP ‘prototypical’ OHLE is a poison chalice IMO! How would a manufacturer choose what to do?

Anyway. Looking forward to watching the development of the 93 in 1:1 and smaller sizes!

Slightly off topic but I understand what you mean about the availability of OHLE.  When the Heljan/Olivia's Class 76 was announced, I was excited as I'd really wanted to do a section the Woodhead route but abandoned the idea at the thought of scratch building the overhead masts, spans and wires.

Edited by jools1959
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, njee20 said:

Well, maybe start with the first three  mainlines to be electrified, the WCML, the GEML and ECML, cover those structures and then a more modern style covering MML and GWML so its alot more straight forward than the above.

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

• RMweb Premium

Which bit of the WCML? You’ve got mk1 and mk3, and within that you’ve got probably 20 different styles of portal, plus single and double masts, tensioning masts. Which registration arms, there’s probably 5 different types of those too. Etc etc. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Well, maybe start with the first three  mainlines to be electrified, the WCML, the GEML and ECML, cover those structures and then a more modern style covering MML and GWML so its alot more straight forward than the above.

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

You have to remember that the original GEML electrification was 1500V DC and later converted to 25Kv AC, so the spans and masts were more akin to those on the Woodhead route.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, DBC90024 said:

Kat@johnsonstreetIEMD 

The first main line to be electrified (with overhead) was the Woodhead route......

Edited by newbryford

• 3 weeks later...

I assume the N Gauge Journal is correct in announcing that the Class 93 will be done in N gauge as well as OO.

If classical goddess have gone how about Norse ones, Frigg (Friday) possibly, but given its Eurovision today definitely Anni-Frid (Freda) and Agnetha, altogether now  - My, My, At Waterloo, LSWR did surrender.

Edited by Bomag
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2021 at 02:59, davepallant said:

Interesting if the ROG locomotives were a series of custom colour schemes like the German Taurus locomotives which commemorate famous composers or anniversaries.... Lots of brightly coloured trains atrracting attention to ROG and an interesting set of locomotives for us modellers!

just thinking random.. my daughters school homework this week is designing a “Green” environmentally friendly badge. A highlight of last year was seeing, rather than learning the difference between a hill and a mountain... she saw up close Whernside and Ingleborough (Ribblehead) and was eye opened !.. so Ribblehead is a contender for her school homework green creds badge this week.

expanding that thought...

As ROG are a little bit midland orientated, perhaps a suggestion is the first 10 class 93’s inherit the names of the first 10 class 44 Peaks.

It fits the green credentials very well, much like the original peaks..its also new begining and a body side paint style could reflect the peak to which it is named after ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...