RevolutioN Trains Announce First Locomotive in OO Gauge the Class 93

• RMweb Gold

On 02/05/2021 at 18:10, newbryford said:

The first main line to be electrified (with overhead) was the Woodhead route......

There might be a bit of a discussion on what we mean by "main line" But I would argue that, even in the UK, there are other candidates for that "title".

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2021 at 00:52, jools1959 said:

You have to remember that the original GEML electrification was 1500V DC and later converted to 25Kv AC, so the spans and masts were more akin to those on the Woodhead route.

On 02/05/2021 at 18:10, newbryford said:

The first main line to be electrified (with overhead) was the Woodhead route......

There might be a bit of a discussion on what we mean by "main line" But I would argue that, even in the UK, there are other candidates for that "title".

Apologies for a bit of thread diversion, but I have noticed too how much shorter are the spans on 1.5k DC. Makes for easier modelling. I think that, if you include plenty of gentle curves into the layout, you can use wires, 420mm in length, which will be close to prototype length.

2 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Will it be similar to this one?

Stadler Rail Valencia, 2019 300-3

Perhaps an N gauge version too?

I thought the 93 was destined to have 4 axles......?

• Agree 2
16 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Will it be similar to this one?

Nope, this is the class 93 (basically a class 88 with new cabs): 

05-1-1024x427.jpg

A Stadler co-co hybrid locomotive aka the 'Class 99' is currently being assessed by a well known FOC. Check the I recommend you follow WNXX for updates. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Indeed, Liverpool Street to Shenfield was hardly a branch line...

2 hours ago, 159220 said:

Nope, this is the class 93 (basically a class 88 with new cabs): 

05-1-1024x427.jpg

A Stadler co-co hybrid locomotive aka the 'Class 99' is currently being assessed by a well known FOC. Check the I recommend you follow WNXX for updates. 

Not too dissimilar then. Bo Bo rather than Co Co and with some body side differences.

The one in the photo is currently being tested around Switzerland and looks really impressive. There 's a few videos of it online.

Check out 'Sudexpress' offerings on the EuroDual. Back in OO land, wonderful to see our models being built to similar or even better standards. The full fat EuroDual is proving increasingly popular on the mainland, only time for the UK.

2 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Check out 'Sudexpress' offerings on the EuroDual. Back in OO land, wonderful to see our models being built to similar or even better standards. The full fat EuroDual is proving increasingly popular on the mainland, only time for the UK.

Impressive! Need those in N!!!

• Like 1
1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Not too dissimilar then. Bo Bo rather than Co Co and with some body side differences.

Certainly a similar look but some significant differences because of the smaller British loading gauge. Look at the cab side window - dead flat on the Euro version, but the whole of it angled over on a tapered curve on the 93. The door is different too, with the top part angled back; to be honest they could have done a better job, visually integrating the door and cabside window together.

• Agree 2

Quick and dirty revamp. Effectively the slight shouldering is pushed back behind the door rather than in front of it. Also rounded the door window edges to match both the side window and (oddly) the European version.

Class93comp.jpg.45906910e96d81cd047975bb5e63dcb9.jpg

• Like 2