RevolutioN Trains Announce First Locomotive in OO Gauge the Class 93

sc2016

• RMweb Gold

On 02/05/2021 at 18:10, newbryford said:

The first main line to be electrified (with overhead) was the Woodhead route......

There might be a bit of a discussion on what we mean by "main line" But I would argue that, even in the UK, there are other candidates for that "title".

• RMweb Gold
On 02/05/2021 at 00:52, jools1959 said:

You have to remember that the original GEML electrification was 1500V DC and later converted to 25Kv AC, so the spans and masts were more akin to those on the Woodhead route.

On 02/05/2021 at 18:10, newbryford said:

The first main line to be electrified (with overhead) was the Woodhead route......

There might be a bit of a discussion on what we mean by "main line" But I would argue that, even in the UK, there are other candidates for that "title".

Apologies for a bit of thread diversion, but I have noticed too how much shorter are the spans on 1.5k DC. Makes for easier modelling. I think that, if you include plenty of gentle curves into the layout, you can use wires, 420mm in length, which will be close to prototype length.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Will it be similar to this one?

Stadler Rail Valencia, 2019 300-3

Perhaps an N gauge version too?

I thought the 93 was destined to have 4 axles......?

• Agree 2

16 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Will it be similar to this one?

Nope, this is the class 93 (basically a class 88 with new cabs): 

05-1-1024x427.jpg

A Stadler co-co hybrid locomotive aka the 'Class 99' is currently being assessed by a well known FOC. Check the I recommend you follow WNXX for updates. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Indeed, Liverpool Street to Shenfield was hardly a branch line...

2 hours ago, 159220 said:

Nope, this is the class 93 (basically a class 88 with new cabs): 

05-1-1024x427.jpg

A Stadler co-co hybrid locomotive aka the 'Class 99' is currently being assessed by a well known FOC. Check the I recommend you follow WNXX for updates. 

Not too dissimilar then. Bo Bo rather than Co Co and with some body side differences.

The one in the photo is currently being tested around Switzerland and looks really impressive. There 's a few videos of it online.

Check out 'Sudexpress' offerings on the EuroDual. Back in OO land, wonderful to see our models being built to similar or even better standards. The full fat EuroDual is proving increasingly popular on the mainland, only time for the UK.

2 minutes ago, 159220 said:

Check out 'Sudexpress' offerings on the EuroDual. Back in OO land, wonderful to see our models being built to similar or even better standards. The full fat EuroDual is proving increasingly popular on the mainland, only time for the UK.

Impressive! Need those in N!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cornish trains jez said:

Not too dissimilar then. Bo Bo rather than Co Co and with some body side differences.

Certainly a similar look but some significant differences because of the smaller British loading gauge. Look at the cab side window - dead flat on the Euro version, but the whole of it angled over on a tapered curve on the 93. The door is different too, with the top part angled back; to be honest they could have done a better job, visually integrating the door and cabside window together.

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, Jack374 said:

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/06/class-93-locomotives-on-london-to-stirling-services-grand-union-revises-proposal.html

It would appear at least one TOC will have a need for these locos on class 1 Anglo-Scottish expresses…good news!

Jack.

That's interesting, I had thought that would slow things down but I suppose the 125/140mph top speed of the 91 won't be exploitable on the WCML anyway.

7 hours ago, Jack374 said:

https://www.railadvent.co.uk/2021/06/class-93-locomotives-on-london-to-stirling-services-grand-union-revises-proposal.html

It would appear at least one TOC will have a need for these locos on class 1 Anglo-Scottish expresses…good news!

Jack.

What a waste of money. Class 91’s would be far more cost effective. And still using MK4 stock.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

What a waste of money. Class 91’s would be far more cost effective. And still using MK4 stock.

Depends what state the 91s are in and what costs (leasing and track access) are for a 91 v 93 - I suspect the 93 will be far cheaper to operate.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, cornish trains jez said:

Is it?

93s will be more electrically efficient than a 91 and probably subject to lower track access charges.

• Agree 4

Not so sure on the track access. Class 91s were designed with very low unsprung weight to minimise the impact on track. In that respect the traction motors are attached to the body so the weight of them is several stages suspended. It would depend on Railtrack's criteria and how the 93 is designed.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, BernardTPM said:

Not so sure on the track access. Class 91s were designed with very low unsprung weight to minimise the impact on track. In that respect the traction motors are attached to the body so the weight of them is several stages suspended. It would depend on Railtrack's criteria and how the 93 is designed.

Hi Bernard

Hope you're well! I included the electricity costs within NR's track access charges as I would expect the 93 to be considerably cheaper to operate (successive generations of electric locos have been cheaper than the previous generation) and the tri-mode 93 should benefit.

Cheers Mike

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, red death said:

Hi Bernard

Hope you're well! I included the electricity costs within NR's track access charges as I would expect the 93 to be considerably cheaper to operate (successive generations of electric locos have been cheaper than the previous generation) and the tri-mode 93 should benefit.

Cheers Mike

Regenerative braking will go a long way to offsetting 50p in the meter.....

• Agree 1

On 25/06/2021 at 11:10, cornish trains jez said:

Despite what many hope trains don't last forever, and often the costs of fixing/upgrading them don't make sense if a newer option is available.

Launching a new service it makes sense to use a new loco which will benefit from spare parts being available for everything from the manufacturer.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 25/06/2021 at 08:10, Jack374 said:

Jack.

This article says services start in December 2022…

but this article says ROG wont get delivery until 2023..

https://www.railmagazine.com/news/network/rail-operations-uk-ltd-orders-class-93-tri-modes

followed by testing etc…

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Talltim said:

Is there now a subsiduary of RevolutioN call RevolutiOO?

Given that they have dabbled in all three “main” scales, perhaps they should be called RevolootioTrains now….

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...