Fathoming Crossover Point Configuration!

I was just wondering if anyone has an easy way to remember which configuration of switches does what on crossover points?

I've pretty much got it memorised that when both sets are in the "DOWN" position, then the UPPER line is operating.  When both are in the "UP" position then the lower line is open.

Then, when the left is "DOWN" and the right is "UP" the points are open for traffic from the left to go top to bottom in the right handed direction(?) I think.

IMG_20210222_175349253.jpg.8ca81bfacfbed080f14761ea8a4e4a49.jpg

I've had a few derailments and I find with the configurations scribbled on a bit of paper, these are becoming less frequent - I was hopeful that there was a way of committing it to memory without having to have a lie down after??? 

3 minutes ago, wasdavetheroad said:

I am about to install a double slip as well and have decided to draw a simple diagram with the 4 possible directions as little diagrams. Then after a few hundred point operations it will be fixed in my mind, most of the time!

It seems to work counterintuitively - maybe I put it upside down!?! 

The thing that catches me out is that it seems to be the point FURTHEST from the locomotive governs the direction of travel from the rails opposite.  Witchcraft.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I solved this issue by configuring the slip on the mimic diagram as two standard turnouts, which in reality is what they are. I use automation with Traincontroller now, but still configure them that way to TC. It's then very easy to see on the switch board which way the points are set - see this sample diagram. 

P.JPG.a09b36bf49c5677774306b6f8a39eb93.JPG

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, RFS said:

I solved this issue by configuring the slip on the mimic diagram as two standard turnouts, which in reality is what they are. I use automation with Traincontroller now, but still configure them that way to TC. It's then very easy to see on the switch board which way the points are set - see this sample diagram. 

P.JPG.a09b36bf49c5677774306b6f8a39eb93.JPG

That looks good, is that a DCC set up? 

1 hour ago, Ray Von said:

It seems to work counterintuitively - maybe I put it upside down!?! 

The thing that catches me out is that it seems to be the point FURTHEST from the locomotive governs the direction of travel from the rails opposite.  Witchcraft.....

Correct.  Easier to understand if you imagine how it would be if the middle line from left isn't there and the slip were only a point giving access to the top or middle platform . Which end would the tie bar be ?  Putting the slip back then superimposes a second point with its toe at the opposite end.

I am assuming that off screen to the lower left you have a point leading to the slip and the track at the bottom, so it acts as a crossover.  If the control system you're using enables you to do so, I would  work the crossover as a single device, so that the crossover is always either set or not set.  The other end of the double slip is then a simple point which decides whether to go into the top or the middle line from whichever of the two lines at the left is leading to it.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

You have the switches wired in reverse. The switches should indicate which way the directions are set to match.

Remember too, that if you are selecting whether you go top left or bottom left, it is the right hand point motor that changes. The opposite applies to the left hand point motor. This is the same as with any standard point.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, kevinlms said:

You have the switches wired in reverse. The switches should indicate which way the directions are set to match.

Remember too, that if you are selecting whether you go top left or bottom left, it is the right hand point motor that changes. The opposite applies to the left hand point motor. This is the same as with any standard point.

They are manually operated, brass rods.  :scratchhead:

I had a good think about the equivalent to two points back to back and my aged brain has severe mental block so for now I will stick with the 4 little diagrams showing the switch bar positions for each route. My points are manually controlled so I don't have the complication of electrical lever switches where 'UP' is the default safe setting. 

• Agree 1

Despite the apparent complication, there are really only two possible route combinations. The point blades are set so that both routes are straight or both curved. These can be controlled by a single lever/switch which operates both tie bars together either with linkage or two point motors.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

If it’s any help the real double slip in Bescot yard gets me every time!

it’s got 2 points levers both ends and I very rarely pull the right one to throw the correct set of blades, I always have to stand back and look at the route once I’ve set it too

• Like 2
  • Funny 1