Fire after fuel train hits 18-wheeler on crossing

melmerby

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, melmerby said:

Hi all

A big fire in Cameron TX after a train loaded with fuel hit an 18 wheeler on a crossing.

Reports suggest at least one adjacent house destroyed

Fortunately no injuries for those involved

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1yNGaWPBAAWxj

No injuries thats a miracle,  would have been a nightmare for the crew 

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Last I heard Biden had declared Texas in a state of emergency because of snow.  All seems to have gone in that clip.

Quanah TX a few days ago well below freezing & 6" snow.

Today snow all gone temp 21deg C & sunny.

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

A big fire in Cameron TX after a train loaded with fuel hit an 18 wheeler on a crossing.

A big fire in Cameron TX after an 18 wheeler hit a train loaded with fuel on a crossing.

Fixed it for you.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Krusty said:

Fixed it for you.

Rather nasty pedantry.

The original news report said the Train hit a truck on a crossing.

That's what I put.

From KVUE news:

"A massive explosion and fire erupted after a train struck a tractor-trailer in Texas early Tuesday."

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 4

A big fire in Cameron TX after an 18 wheeler hit a train loaded with fuel on a crossing.

2 hours ago, Krusty said:

Fixed it for you.

Have you? You've confused me.

Are you suggesting that what really happened was the train was passing through the level road-crossing, and then an 18 wheeler drove up the road and crashed into the side of the train?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Krusty said:

Fixed it for you.

Doubtful.

While your intent is correct - the truck was at fault for crossing the tracks in front of the train - the point remains the original post was correct - the train hit the truck.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/local/breaking-authorities-responding-to-explosion-after-train-collides-with-18-wheeler-in-cameron/500-f0ab8386-d14a-4dfa-9272-f95804501127

• Agree 1

Although not what seems to have happened this time, driving into the side of moving trains at grade crossings is more common in these days of universal distraction.  Hence the addition of vertical yellow reflective decal stripes spaced out along the sides of tanks cars and some other freight cars. 

Pete  

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, GP9u said:

Although not what seems to have happened this time, driving into the side of moving trains at grade crossings is more common in these days of universal distraction.  Hence the addition of vertical yellow reflective decal stripes spaced out along the sides of tanks cars and some other freight cars. 

Pete  

They show up well at night.

The Horseshoe at Altoona is good for seeing how good they are due to the always on light at night.

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I suppose the vehicle could have driven into the side of the train if the driver hadn't noticed the 16' high 2 mile long obstruction in front of him:o

Although that doesn't always seem to stop some drivers!

48 minutes ago, GP9u said:

Pete  

Most people in the States can't be bothered to look for a train at a grade crossing. Hence the constant horn blowing a mile from the crossing and right on through. And people still will not pay any attention.

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

I suppose the vehicle could have driven into the side of the train if the driver hadn't noticed the 16' high 2 mile long obstruction in front of him:o

The driver would then have become a casualty.  As the OP reported 'no injuries to those involved', I took that to mean the truck driver as well as the train crew.

The term "18-wheeler" is one still in common use although not always accurate. I don't know about current US trucks, but many of the Artics I drove here in the UK had 14 wheels, with a 6-axle rig (3 on the tractor unit, 3 on the trailer). The unit had 8 wheels (2 on steer axle, 2 on tag axle & 4 on the drive axle) and the trailers had 'super singles'; 6 wide single wheels, 2 to an axle.

The exception was the high-cube trailers with smaller wheels, those had twin wheels on each hub, so 12 on a trailer, so then you were driving a 20-wheeler..... :rolleyes: :mosking:

This report Clean up continues after fiery explosion outside Cameron (msn.com)   

suggests that the tractor trailer crashed into the train, not the train into the truck. Quite amazing all the reports re-iterate that there were no injuries. 

Yes, my knowledge of names of road vehicles is out of date. In our hitch-hiking days they were simply artics, rigs and road trains (not that Road trains operated in Europe 50 years ago). 

Paul

spacer.png

29 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

The driver would then have become a casualty.  As the OP reported 'no injuries to those involved', I took that to mean the truck driver as well as the train crew.

The term "18-wheeler" is one still in common use although not always accurate. I don't know about current US trucks, but many of the Artics I drove here in the UK had 14 wheels, with a 6-axle rig (3 on the tractor unit, 3 on the trailer). The unit had 8 wheels (2 on steer axle, 2 on tag axle & 4 on the drive axle) and the trailers had 'super singles'; 6 wide single wheels, 2 to an axle.

The exception was the high-cube trailers with smaller wheels, those had twin wheels on each hub, so 12 on a trailer, so then you were driving a 20-wheeler..... :rolleyes: :mosking:

Here, it means the trailer has eight wheels and the tractor has ten.

Edited by MichaelE
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, melmerby said:

1 hour ago, F-UnitMad said:

I would have thought it depended on the angle. The driver may have tried to turn away at the last minute but was too close to avoid a strike.

If the tractor was at an angle with the RH side towards the train the driver would be partially protected. The truck could have gone between wheelsets on a tank car and levered it off the track, with the truck being knocked sideways, badly damaged but not totally demolished.

No doubt it will all come out in the wash.

Edited by melmerby

4 hours ago, melmerby said:

Happens all the time, people are constantly trying to beat the 30th car in the train across the crossing, they beat the 30th car, but the 29th gets 'em.