Diesel Loco Leaving / Entering Terminus Question.

6 minutes ago, Markwj said:

There used to be a propelling move out of Blackpool north and then a run round in the carriage sidings then I think a reverse back into the station. I believe it was all done with the same engine I don’t think it was one loco in and one out.

Its all units now so no longer.

This is similar to what happened at Swansea High St, until the 125s took over.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Markwj said:

There used to be a propelling move out of Blackpool north and then a run round in the carriage sidings then I think a reverse back into the station. I believe it was all done with the same engine I don’t think it was one loco in and one out.

Its all units now so no longer.

I have seen a YouTube video of a more or less identical scenario at Southport with a 37 and Regional Railways Mk2s. I can't quite remember if it traverses 3 sides of a 'triangle' outside the station, or runs round in the sidings.

• Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

I have seen a YouTube video of a more or less identical scenario at Southport with a 37 and Regional Railways Mk2s. I can't quite remember if it traverses 3 sides of a 'triangle' outside the station, or runs round in the sidings.

It's even better than I remember.  It backs out, pulls in to another platform, backs out again, then work its way around the triangle to propel its stock back into the station. 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

36 minutes ago, 9C85 said:

It's even better than I remember. 

Wow! That's quite a manoeuvre, I think it'll need repeated viewing before I can fully appreciate the method!  Makes me feel there's hope for some of my less orthodox traffic movements anyway....

Cheers.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, BMacdermott said:

Hello Phil

Not sure about that...

I have emailed S&D man Peter Smith (one-time of Branksome Depot) to see if he has heard that. I have a feeling that the story has been 'conflated' with a similar event.  

This is (technically) off topic for this thread, but thought it ought to be looked into.

Brian

Cheers Brian. Would that be the one where the vac bag was connected for a propelling move .... but not the coupling? 

• RMweb Gold

Hello Phil

Thanks for this. I have literally just this minute finished a phone call with Peter Smith.

He joined the railway there in 1953 and 'gravity moves' had long-since been curtailed on safety grounds. We think - as I surmised - that this incident was the one of 17 August 1956. Some stock up in the sidings had been receiving fitters' attention. When the rostered propelling loco buffered up, it nudged the coaches into movement - and away it went.

Apologies to Ray Von for going slightly off topic here.

Brian

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Brian nothing like getting the information from those who were on the ground. 

There was a layout on the circuit .... Gravity Sidings wasn’t it ... where the incoming loco reversed the stock up into an inclined siding, uncoupled and the stock then ran back down in to the platform under gravity.... clever! 

Kind regards

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 24/02/2021 at 21:32, 9C85 said:

It's even better than I remember.  It backs out, pulls in to another platform, backs out again, then work its way around the triangle to propel its stock back into the station. 

Some fun and games with the second loco; what was up with the dolly?