O Gauge Hunslet 0-6-0T kit build

Ray H

• RMweb Premium

The securing nuts used to fasten the chassis to the running plate can only go where they are currently as determined by pre-drilled holes in both.

Similarly the cab position is fixed by tabs at the foot of the cab front locating into slots in the running plate.

The picture below shows what happens when you try to commence the final assembly of the individual stages of the build in accordance with the instructions (as there's no other way). 

240321_1.jpg.d56355bf70b52d502b21a9aeeb607d14.jpg

I can see some work for the rotary cutter in the near future.

• Friendly/supportive 2

The instructions are a guide for assembly. As individual locomotives varied so much in detail over time photographs are essential. I usually end up with pages of sketches based on photos to sort out the details. Admitadly the 50550 are not the most photographed loco but research is part of the fun.

• RMweb Premium

In the end I drilled a fresh hole within the bunker area which cleared the cab. Ideally it should have been a millimetre or two further back as I had to attack the nut as can be seen.

250321_3.jpg.fade20b0a6ad107cb7ba68ea600e33a0.jpg

The loco is nearly finished, with just a few basic tasks left.

There's a few numbered parts on the etches that don't seem to have a home and none of them are too obvious as to what they are. There are also a couple of numbered (presumed etched) parts that appear in the drawings but aren't mentioned in the instructions and at least one part that appears on the etch as a different number to that in the drawing.

At least the chimney has a hole so that sound from the speaker can escape from the boiler.

It would be a help if suppliers of some of the less straightforward kits could mark them as such.

• Like 1

On 24/03/2021 at 19:32, Ray H said:

The securing nuts used to fasten the chassis to the running plate can only go where they are currently as determined by pre-drilled holes in both.

Similarly the cab position is fixed by tabs at the foot of the cab front locating into slots in the running plate.

The picture below shows what happens when you try to commence the final assembly of the individual stages of the build in accordance with the instructions (as there's no other way). 

240321_1.jpg.d56355bf70b52d502b21a9aeeb607d14.jpg

I can see some work for the rotary cutter in the near future.

I had forgotten about this little challenge!  I think I made a  small cut out on the basis that it  would not be seen. These older kits predate CAD and were drawn by hand. This is probably why modellers developed their own sequence of assembly anticipating the inevitable snags and challenges.

6 hours ago, Ray H said:

Can you recall whether the lifting eyes were supplied - part 30 I believe? I can't find anything that looks like them.

I don't recall fitting them. I will have to have a good look at some photos and see if they are a visible omission. If so I might be retrofitting the four austerities as well. I may still have the instructions so will check later.

• Thanks 1

On 27/03/2021 at 19:23, doilum said:

50550 are not the most photographed loco 

Some good reference photos on pg1 of this thread here, though some works numbers inaccurate on the captions: 

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/127789-hunslet-50550-from-j94-buildbash/

On 28/03/2021 at 12:12, Ray H said:

Can you recall whether the lifting eyes were supplied 

I've seen one of these Mercian kits built with lifting eyes on the tank, which was curious. I've not come across these on the prototype before. Is this what you are referring to? 

Paul A. 

• RMweb Premium

Paul

Many thanks for the link.

It was indeed the lifting eyes - or that's what I think the drawing is endeavouring to indicate.

I've decided not to bother with them after all. Mind you it does make you wonder how they lifted the tank off.