What are the cylinders for on Merchant Navy class tenders

They are to do with the brakes,a lot of the larger Southern locos had them. I think they used vacuum brakes but not too certain about that. Some of the LNER locos had cylinders on there tenders as well. Usually one but certain classes had two. I'm sure somebody out there will come a long with more detail soon.

• RMweb Gold

They are vacuum reservoirs for the braking system which relies on the difference in pressure between one side of the brake cylinder piston and the other. The reservoir is provided so that there is always a source of vacuum available to operate the system.

• RMweb Gold

They are vacuum reservoirs for the braking system which relies on the difference in pressure between one side of the brake cylinder piston and the other. The reservoir is provided so that there is always a source of vacuum available to operate the system.

So it could truly be said that they are there for nothing

(I'll get me coat....)

A crude rule of thumb the Lighweights had 3 cylinders and the Merchants had 4 cylinders. But with the amount of tenders Bulleid made for his pacifics that rule may not apply all the time.

For instance Manston has 4 on a 4,500 gallon tender and Eddystone has 3 on a 5,250 Gallon tender and some drivers beleive that the 3 larger cylinders fill up quicker and release quicker than the small 4 on the small tender

• RMweb Premium

For instance Manston has 4 on a 4,500 gallon tender and Eddystone has 3 on a 5,250 Gallon tender and some drivers belieive that the 3 larger cylinders fill up quicker and release quicker than the small 4 on the small tender

Great fun getting the correct tender for Merchants if renumbering! There were also different covers (or not) for the cylinders

There's plenty of info around on this though so you should get the correct tenders for BBs and WCs as well if that's what you need.

36E

Archived