Who's going to be the first...?

JSModels

• RMweb Premium

Given Boris' plan for unlocking the country, who's going to be first to announce a show for later in the year?

Stage 2 - no earlier than 12th April - allows opening of gyms, libraries, and community centres. I think that one could reasonably argue model railway clubs can reopen their clubrooms to members as of that date.

Stage 4 - no earlier than 21st June - full opening, so presumably exhibitions/open days from that date?

At AVRMC, we're already discussing potential dates for an open day - possibly sometime in August, to allow for a few weeks of 'slippage' in the above dates - but we've not settled on anything yet...

Jonathan

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I would imagine that the first shows back will be smaller, local ones that can be put together at relatively short notice and don't have to stick with a fixed date in the calendar. We may see some of those as early as June or July.

The big shows, the ones that form the mainstay of the annual show schedule, will need to be a bit later because they'll need a longer lead time. But those currently pencilled in for autumn and winter this year should have a reasonable prospect of going ahead, and the later in the year they are the more likely it is that they'll be OK.

I'm reasonably optimistic that Wigan, in October, and Warley, in November, will go ahead. Warley is probably a little more likely. But one thing in Wigan's favour is that it's the same weekend as the start of the Conservative Party conference this year. And the government will almost certainly do everything it can to make that go ahead. Which means that other events scheduled for the same date will also be OK.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Was expecting this discussion to happen following Boris' Lockdown Release Roadmap.

I see that stage 3 is interesting?

Stage three - No earlier than 17 May, includes:

• Indoor entertainment such as museums, theatres, cinemas and children's play areas can open
  • Performances and large events will be subject to limits though. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend
  • Hotels, hostels and B&Bs can reopen

Whilst no mention of actual exhibitions, the middle one looks interesting - even before the June 21 free-for-all?

Dave

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 70000 Britannia said:

Was expecting this discussion to happen following Boris' Lockdown Release Roadmap.

I see that stage 3 is interesting?

Stage three - No earlier than 17 May, includes:

• Indoor entertainment such as museums, theatres, cinemas and children's play areas can open
  • Performances and large events will be subject to limits though. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend
  • Hotels, hostels and B&Bs can reopen

Whilst no mention of actual exhibitions, the middle one looks interesting - even before the June 21 free-for-all?

Dave

Good point well made sir.
The fly in the ointment for Stage 3 is whether or not it comes with any need for social distancing.  I'm not aware of any layout than can be set-up or taken down while people all stay at least 2m appart! ;-)

Given that nothing is set in stone, and could be subject to reintroduction of restrictions if the relaxing of rules leads to a raised infection level, it would be a bold/brave organiser who committed to the investment for a big show this far ahead of the calendar. 

For example, the Dorset Steam Fair has been cancelled for this coming August because the upfront financial commitments are far too high to gamble on a "maybe" scenario. 

• Agree 3

The emerging thinking in the vintage 0 gauge group that I participate in, about when the first village hall gathering might occur is "not before everyone has had their second jab", which seems sensible caution in view of the vintage nature of many members, let alone the toy trains, but curiously it means that the youngest members will be the ones who set the date, by being last to the needle.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

18 minutes ago, Phatbob said:

I'm not aware of any layout than can be set-up or taken down while people all stay at least 2m appart! ;-)

I think there are a number that can be set up by 1 person (both of mine included) however the challenge will be to keep the public 2m apart when most aisle widths are less than that.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

I think there are a number that can be set up by 1 person (both of mine included) however the challenge will be to keep the public 2m apart when most aisle widths are less than that.

Sadly experience in general (today during essential shopping and later during a dog walk in a busy park) suggests there will still be many who are oblivious to the requirements of social distancing. I love and miss exhibiting - including the social aspects - but currently I feel no great urge to stand in front of the public for 6-8 hours a day....( I do operate from the front and the interaction is an important part of the fun)

Chris

• Agree 7
  • Friendly/supportive 3

49 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Sadly the hall where the two shows that normally happen in Didcot are held, is currently the local vaccination centre.

Similarly the Bristol O gauge shownis not able to use the venue previously used as that is also given over to being  a Nightingale hospital. Shame as it was an excellent show

• RMweb Gold

Sadly, I really can't see there being much chance of exhibitions until the autumn, as booking / advertising costs etc for anything sooner would / could still be a financial risk as the 'road-map' dates are only earliest dates and not set in stone. Still so much depends upon figures of infections / hospital figures, as well as vaccinations running according to plan. Even then how many exhibitors / visitors will be prepared to attend an exhibition?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I reckon as long as no new nasty variants pop up and put a spanner in the works then Warley and Peterborough have got to be good bets for the first big shows.  Smaller shows hopefully will start up a bit earlier and I am ready to attend anything I can practically reach in my area both to show my support and just for some relief from what has become a year of utter monotony.

I have a shopping list of bits and pieces that is getting steadily longer as the time goes by.

Apparently the Reading Music Festival is on so that is encouraging for big events I feel.

Edited by John M Upton
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was wondering how likely we are to see a show this year particularly as some shows are a year in the planning. It’s probably too soon to start that planning now in case the planned lockdown easing is derailed (see what I did there)!
I only really saw my brothers when we went to a show together as we all live in different towns and we need something like this to meet up at  as one of them is boring! 
Hopefully we can get together soon!

Looking to put on a smaller show than usual in the autumn. The limiting factor is going to be the availability of venues. Schools are not likely to opening their doors to community events until there is a great deal of certainty that infection rates etc are going to be very low etc 

I have been approached by an open air museum to see if I would be willing to take a layout to an event this summer (which in previous years has included a number of layouts scattered around different buildings on the museum site). I can see that going ahead.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, enginelane said:

Looking to put on a smaller show than usual in the autumn. The limiting factor is going to be the availability of venues. Schools are not likely to opening their doors to community events until there is a great deal of certainty that infection rates etc are going to be very low etc 

I had not thought of that aspect of things.

It is a very tricky situation as a lot of the venues will also be needing some revenue.

A large church in the centre of town here has closed its doors for good. As well as a dwindling congregation the church has lost all the income from the weekly coffee morning, mother and toddler, and yoga groups that have been unable to meet for a year in the church hall.

I still think some of the earliest shows to go ahead will be club open day type events using local layouts to keep costs and travelling down.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
clarification
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I think that it will be safer for everyone, not just model railway exhibitions, if 6 months of "safety" happens, ie, no flare ups, mutations, unforeseen developments etc occur, after all, the fire brigade don't leave the scene of the fire when it "looks" as though the fire is out.

Personally, I would feel more confident on a 2022 return to whatever form of normality we are going to have.

Mike.

• Like 3
  • Agree 14

1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I think that it will be safer for everyone, not just model railway exhibitions, if 6 months of "safety" happens, ie, no flare ups, mutations, unforeseen developments etc occur, after all, the fire brigade don't leave the scene of the fire when it "looks" as though the fire is out.

Personally, I would feel more confident on a 2022 return to whatever form of normality we are going to have.

Mike.

Yes, the thought of 200,000 young people fresh from their overseas holidays descending on Reading in August terrifies me for a start!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Speaking to my neighbour the other day ( socially distanced if course, I was gardening and he was on his exercise walk)  he mentioned that it would be of no use getting back to 'normal' until all countries/nations have been vaccinated.

I too miss the lack of exhibitions at the moment but personally would wait till 2022 before I attend any shows either as an exhibitor or visitor.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, RJS1977 said:

Yes, the thought of 200,000 young people fresh from their overseas holidays descending on Reading in August terrifies me for a start!

I was flabbergasted when that was one of the first things announced as getting a green light!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 24/02/2021 at 17:04, Phatbob said:

Good point well made sir.
The fly in the ointment for Stage 3 is whether or not it comes with any need for social distancing.  I'm not aware of any layout than can be set-up or taken down while people all stay at least 2m appart! ;-)

We are all going to have to create new bubbles then :-).  Fortunately, my 3 layouts are set up by Sue and I.  I hope that new rules are not suggesting my wife and I stay 2 metres apart!

Of course, everything will depend on the progression and efficacy of the vaccines, significantly reducing and then planing infections.  If that is maintained and generates public confidence, the  earliest possibilities must surely be late this year.

The organisers of The International N Gauge Show have an advantage in that they basically own the exhibition venue. This gives them less in the way of up front costs and so might well allow them to take the risk by organising a large show for September more easily than most. The down side of owning the venue is of course that for the last 12 months they have had a rather expensive asset sitting there making no income. I wish them every success and, all things being equal plan to make this my first exhibition of the "new era".

From their recent statement we know that Warley Club are working with the NEC to ensure their November exhibition goes ahead. As has been said, quarter 3 is looking good subject to any nasty new variants muddying the water.

• Like 1