Who's going to be the first...?

JSModels

What concerns me is as much the profitability of any show. I would imagine any show is going to be down on numbers through the door as your average punter is of the older generation and more likely to be cautious. On the other hand there will be pent up demand so it’s going to be a tricky call.

My club is almost certainly not going to have an exhibition this year but that is because we have our hands full with a relocation.

Robert

Just thinking about the shows I normally attend in the autumn.

My concerns would be:

* ease of movement around the show (will there be a one-way system or will people have to pass each other in narrow alleys/doorways?). How crowded would it be?

* length of time for which I would need to wear a mask - something I struggle with for prolonged periods, especially in warm weather

* how safe is the journey?

The shows I normally attend over the September - November period are:

Tadworth (usually as an operator) - waiting to hear exactly what the arrangements would be for this one. It's quite a long journey (over an hour's train ride then a 10 minute bus journey but usually with a decent 'air break'  at the change). Also can be a very long day as packing up at the end can be another hour or so. There's also the issue that the train journey is on the Gatwick line so I could end up in the same carriage as people who've just picked it up on their summer holidays. On the other hand, it is probably the show I've missed the most. We'll see.

Woking. Already cancelled. (Bit of an awkward journey to get to, but a nice walk from the station to the venue. Can be quite a queue to get in but once inside often not too busy. However it does take a while to see everything so would require wearing a mask for a prolonged period).

Lower Earley Within walking distance or a 4 minute train journey.  Not too busy but an awkward arrangement of rooms upstairs (though a one way system might be possible along the corridor if the fire exit could be used). Not a particularly big show so prolonged mask wearing not needed. Possible.

Swanley If held this year may be in a different venue so I can't really comment on that. Bit of a long/awkward journey across London (though Paddington-Victoria could be walked). Trains between Vic and Swanley usually pretty quiet.

Wycrail An hour's bus journey plus a walk away. Should be possible to have a one-way system in the halls (except on the stairs and through a doorway). Quite a big show so would require prolonged mask wearing and there can be quite a queue outside (or crammed into the porch if it's raining!) . Possible.

Warley Hour and a half's journey on a busy Voyager (usually even busier on the way back!), big queue to get in, needs a full day and busy show. Likely I'll miss this one for the first time since 1998!

On 24/02/2021 at 17:20, Nearholmer said:

The emerging thinking in the vintage 0 gauge group that I participate in, about when the first village hall gathering might occur is "not before everyone has had their second jab", which seems sensible caution in view of the vintage nature of many members, let alone the toy trains, but curiously it means that the youngest members will be the ones who set the date, by being last to the needle.

I think the above will apply to many, if not all events that entail  close crowd contact. 2022 I reckon before a return to some new kind of "normal" for events.

brit15

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I was flabbergasted when that was one of the first things announced as getting a green light!

It hasn't been 'Given the Green light' by the people who matter (i.e. the Government) as if things go wrong then the easing of restrictions will be paused.

The promoters are the ones who are taking a gamble on this - I guess the need to sign up the musical acts requires a decision now. Presumably the promoters feel they can cope with the financial fall out if it all goes wrong.

The promoters of Glastonbury, the Great Dorset Steam Fair, etc feel otherwise....

Edited by phil-b259

For me a lot will depend on if mask wearing becomes compulsory post vaccination as is being suggested by informed leakers, particularly in the winter months.  I'm not an "anti masker" at all but the first time I tried to wear a face covering I had a mental health episode, and whilst I can just about put up with a proper builders/painters mask (shaped to cover nose and mouth rather than something stretched across my face which seems to be the issue) for about ten minutes whilst I am in the doctors, several hours around a show isn't going to happen.  I also get anxiety surrounded by people in masks.  Neither of these events were even suspected prior to this year, and whilst my psychiatric team have offered me an exemption card, I had to point out to them that being challenged and having to prove my exemption would likely trigger an episode.

It would also rule out my ongoing involvement with the Dolgellau public showings where I tend to be in attendance all day.

I suspect mask wearing will become compulsory from henceforth, so any talk of exhibitions restarting will be irrelevant to me, but we are where we are and at least I will have my shed layout and be on my way to building my second layout indoors.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

5 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

For me a lot will depend on if mask wearing becomes compulsory post vaccination as is being suggested by informed leakers, particularly in the winter months.

I would suggest that while there are many leakers, how many of them are informed is another matter. It comes down to transmission rates after vaccination, there is no point putting in control measures which give an advantage to more transmissible or more virulent variants if letting an endemic version circulate isn't going to lead to to may hospitalisations (as with a normal flu year) . It's much better to push for more effective behaviours so having sanitizers and much better loos/hand washing at exhibitions plus making the public stop thinking you are shirking if you have a sniffle and shy off, will be as effective - and with a wider range of lurgy.

I comes down to how many people are prepared to go to Exhibitions if there are still restrictions, for me social distancing would not impact on my enjoyment, masks would be a non-starter. Others have different drivers, so managers would have to weigh up what puts off the least potential attendees (and in terms of trade puts off potential spending power). 

• RMweb Premium
On 27/02/2021 at 17:45, wombatofludham said:

I suspect mask wearing will become compulsory from henceforth

I wouldn't worry, this is very unlikely to be the case.  Many people's experience of masks over the last year has been the odd twenty minutes round the supermarket but those (including myself) who have to endure hours of them whilst at work will almost all tell you they are extremely uncomfortable and hinder even basic communication to a laughable extent.

Exhibitions are supposed to be enjoyable - masks and distancing would make them more of an ordeal and many will simply vote with their feet and not go.  So I think either you hold a show properly i.e. under normal (not 'new normal'!) conditions or not at all.

I don't think this will be a problem since by the autumn and some of the shows mentioned we will be in a very different landscape; the vast majority will have been vaccinated (the most vulnerable twice over) and the pandemic - as ALL pandemics do - will be in serious decline.  There will be very few environments where masks and distancing will still be mandated - there will be no point since at that point the lasting damage to society becomes the greater risk.  It will be up to individuals - or perhaps event organisers - to decide what they need to do to be 'safe' (though if the latter those who choose to prolong restrictions will most certainly lose out).

The comment above regarding the youngest being last in line for vaccines and thus determining the timetable for a return to normal is poignant.  Whilst many practitioners of railway modelling are indeed of the older generation it is children/teenagers who are absolutely THE most important people to our hobby.  They are the future and have lost so much over the last year (and will be disadvantaged for years to come).  We owe it to them to get things such as exhibitions - where many have their first taste of model trains - back up and running as soon as feasibly possible.  And I hope that veterans of the art will feel able to do so - unmasked - so that they may pass on that passion and skill which has inspired so many.

• Like 6

On 26/02/2021 at 07:12, Enterprisingwestern said:

I think that it will be safer for everyone, not just model railway exhibitions, if 6 months of "safety" happens, ie, no flare ups, mutations, unforeseen developments etc occur, after all, the fire brigade don't leave the scene of the fire when it "looks" as though the fire is out.

Personally, I would feel more confident on a 2022 return to whatever form of normality we are going to have.

Mike.

On 26/02/2021 at 08:55, RJS1977 said:

Yes, the thought of 200,000 young people fresh from their overseas holidays descending on Reading in August terrifies me for a start!

'Fresh from their overseas holidays'...? What overseas holidays? I suspect international travel will be somewhat limited for much of this year. I can understand peoples' caution but there are entire industries whose livelihoods have been on hold since last March. If the scientists advising government say that things can restart, holding off for another 6 months just to reassure everyone isn't really an option. Of course it's up to people what they wish to go to after that.

• Agree 1

We've taken the decision to run South Notts show the first weekend in September (only 5 months late...) but I'm already looking at these changes - 

a.  Strong advice to wear masks if not still a government requirement

b.  a one-way system round the hall - already worked out with the venue.

c.   wider gangways and fewer exhibits (12 layouts rather than 15 and a couple of duplicated traders no longer duplicated)

d.  hand sanitiser stations in prominent places and someone going round with wipes for handrails and doors at frequent intervals.

e. card payment available on the door which is a first for us.

These will be in place no matter what the advice is nationally - provided Boris doesn't lock down again immediately before........

The venue (which also now houses our new clubroom) are quite keen to have the show and I've got a backlog of new layouts to show people.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I can see the use of masks to continue for a time to come. Social convention will demand it.  A sure sign of the unveiling is when supermarkets remove the condition of 'No mask- No entry'  (Subject to exemption ). 

I did some preparatory work last year re-designing the Kenavon show for social distancing before the November lockdown made it clear the show wasn't going to happen in February.

My main changes were:

* Removing the centre island in the Sports Hall to enable a one-way pathway for visitors six feet away from the exhibits round the outside. Room dividers would separate the path where it doubled back on itself, but be useful for photos, artworks, publicity materials etc.

* Not selling refreshments (prior to November the venue had a 'no food to be prepared or distributed on site' policy).

* Visitors to book time slots in advance via eventbrite or similar.

The mask issue was one I was still trying to work out (like Solo I struggle wearing them for long periods). In theory as the operators would be 6' away from the visitors, there would be no real need for them to wear masks apart from when moving round the hall, but as the building both belongs to and - in better times - is used as a place of worship , the situation wasn't completely clear!

In other news, I understand Bressingham have recently sent out invitations for an exhibition in September.

Its nearly over a year on from the last time out exhibiting my layout. A few days ago I took a locomotive out of its box for a test run.  I could not believe that I had forgotten its DCC code number, and as for the the F (function keys) .....  And will servos and point motors have ceased up?

It is all not helped by no proper access to the clubrooms where the layout has lain idle for the past twelve months - fortunately under protective sheeting - and no date yet when we can get back there.  To add to the confusion I am here in England, while the layout is just over the border in North Wales.

I read somewhere that before planes get airborne again, the flight deck crews will need to go on refresher courses to re-learn how to fly.  Maybe we will need the same period of re-education before we get back into operating at shows? [Alisdair]

• Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, andy stroud said:

For me, the issue with wearing a mask is that my glasses steam up and I cant see a thing, including train layouts.

This is a big one for me as well, I hate wearing a mask to the point that I absolutely minimise the amount of places I go where I have to wear one.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Hi Guys..... 

Hope all are well.....?

Can it be, that just there's a glimmer of hope that the show scene may be able to recommence through the latter stages of this year, if both the national restrictions are adjusted and confidence amongst the population grows sufficiently to attend large, enclosed gatherings.

It may inevitably mean that venues may have to be larger, the space available for internal distancing greater or attending participating layouts/ suppliers  reduced, quite what impact this will have on the viability of smaller shows is debatable, but it would be great to see anything coming back.

There will be certainly guidance from Government and experience gained from venues throughout the year as things gradually open up across the wider hospitality and entertainment sectors.

Take care all....

Bob

• Agree 1

In today's Times there is an article about Oasis - I understand they are a popular music beat band - and a performance  contract they had before they were famous.  I am thinking as model railway enthusiasts we might have the same contract for our own performances at model railway exhibitions.  The contract stated

"The management agrees to provide and pay for at least two able bodied and sober speaking persons to assist the road crew in unloading, setting up, breaking down and reloading of the artist's equipment"   It also asks for "a good quality hot meal" and "24 large cans of quality lager".

I would settle for the lager being struck out as at my age my bladder could not accommodate 24 cans of lager - even if it was a quality lager.  What do you think?  [Alisdair]    

• Funny 1

3 minutes ago, ardbealach said:

In today's Times there is an article about Oasis - I understand they are a popular music beat band - and a performance  contract they had before they were famous.  I am thinking as model railway enthusiasts we might have the same contract for our own performances at model railway exhibitions.  The contract stated

"The management agrees to provide and pay for at least two able bodied and sober speaking persons to assist the road crew in unloading, setting up, breaking down and reloading of the artist's equipment"   It also asks for "a good quality hot meal" and "24 large cans of quality lager".

I would settle for the lager being struck out as at my age my bladder could not accommodate 24 cans of lager - even if it was a quality lager.  What do you think?  [Alisdair]    

99% of my exhibition appearances I have been really well looked after but what follows is a more humorous version based on the 1% of problems I have faced and experiences of others 

The management agree to provide:

- The space and electricity supply requested on the pre booking information supplied,

- Not locate the layout in the entrance foyer with the doors open (on a cold and windy day).

- Coffee to be available free of charge, lunch voucher to cover the cost of Lunch (lets face 50p won't even buy a Mars Bar these days).

- Good quality hot meal (no an Iceland Microwave curry still in it's packet doesn't meet this criteria)

- Overnight accommodation to be provided in a room of a maximum capacity of 2 people (2nd person to be known to me) in a location that is a recognised hotel/guest house/bed and breakfast (ex Army barrack dormitories do not fall into this classification in any way). In the event of substandard accommodation being provided, the management accept the expenses of up to £40 will be chargeable for enough real ale to get remotely plastered to then endure a lower quality of accommodation.

- Travelling expenses that reflect current cost of motor vehicle fuel (as petrol hasn't been 59p per litre since 1999)

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

If a visitor has had both jabs I don't see why it should be necessary to wear masks. If it becomes obligatory then I doubt if I would attend, the damned things are so uncomfortable. It's OK for a few minutes if I have to pop into a shop or if the shopping precinct is crowded, but for several hours - don't think so.

• Agree 5

36 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

If a visitor has had both jabs I don't see why it should be necessary to wear masks. If it becomes obligatory then I doubt if I would attend, the damned things are so uncomfortable. It's OK for a few minutes if I have to pop into a shop or if the shopping precinct is crowded, but for several hours - don't think so.

Could not agree more.

1 hour ago, ardbealach said:

I had my tongue firmly in my cheek when I wrote this.  Should have said it was not to be taken seriously! (Alisdair)

• Like 1

The jab doesn't necessarily stop you from spreading the virus. An excerpt from an article on the BBC

"It was 17 June 2009. An 11-year-old boy returned to the US from the UK – and inadvertently brought something with him. Later that week, while attending a religious education programme in Sullivan County, New York, he developed a mysterious swelling of his salivary glands. He had mumps, a respiratory infection spread by contact with droplets in the air.

Meanwhile, the religious course continued. The 400 children in attendance spent hours each day engaging in prolonged face-to-face contact – specifically, a kind of Orthodox Jewish education involving facing a study partner, a chavrusa, across a narrow table, while analysing and debating text from the Talmud. By the time the programme ended, 22 others had been infected, along with three adults.

As the students went back to their homes, the virus spread to Brooklyn and Rockland County, then on to Ocean County and Orange County. In all, the outbreak lasted a year, and at least 3,502 people developed the disease.

When scientists analysed what had happened, they suggested that the chavrusa style of learning might have allowed for "particularly efficient transmission of mumps virus". What might seem most surprising in this case is that the accidental super-spreader had received a full course of the MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) vaccine. It's likely that he did have some immunity – like the other vaccinated children, he developed relatively mild symptoms with no complications – but he was still able to carry the virus and transmit it to others.

In fact, most vaccines don't fully protect against infection, even if they can block symptoms from appearing. As a result, vaccinated people can unknowingly carry and spread pathogens. Occasionally, they can even start epidemics. "

It goes on to say that the Covid virus has been engineered primarily to minimise the symptoms of the disease,  and the effects on transmission are unknown as yet.

• Like 1