Who's going to be the first...?

JSModels

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Giles said:

It goes on to say that the Covid virus has been engineered primarily to minimise the symptoms of the disease

I'm fairly certain you meant the Covid vaccine there, but thought I should point it out before someone gets the wrong idea.... :lol:

• Like 3

I know that, most people do. The point is that the vaccines will reduce number of infections and their severity and this is a scientific fact. It's being borne out in daily infection stats.

The chances of meeting a person with asymptotic infection is very low and it's something we've got to live with just as we live with the flu which killed 800 or so people last winter.

We will never live in a perfect world,  Covid will be with us for ever. All those who are vaccinated will be fine-ish, those who aren't are at risk.

Get yourselves vaccinated ASAP. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I've just checked out some celebrity 'riders' that I could base my own one on, and Madonna's looks the most promising:

• a setup that mirrors her room at home (she ships her furniture),
  • accommodations for her 200-person entourage,
  • flowers with the stems trimmed to exactly six inches.
  • a brand new toilet seat at every venue.

However, I could add something from David Hasselhof's rider, a life-size cutout of myself set up backstage.

:dirol_mini:

Funny thing about the masks and how it affects people - I'm fine with it and can wear it for hours - if I remember to take it with me/put it on! My partner hates it for more than half an hour or so.

I can understand people not liking it but consider this:

Over here in France where it's been pretty well obligatory once supplies of masks were freely available, there have been very few reported cases of 'flu and gastro-enteritis compared with other years. My view is that the mask together with more frequent washing of hands has reduced our 'normal' infections.

Onto dates for shows: We had our AGM last week (limited in numbers) and it's been decided that we shall have a small show/swap meet in October (w/e of 22/24). A one day affair without invited layouts as such, but a number of modules inter-linked, so plenty of room for the public. One or two select traders will be invited plus those doing the swap/meet.

As Hon. Treas., my dilemma is that if we don't charge for entry, we can have the hall for free (belongs to the Town Council). What we can't risk is charging and only have a few people turn up due to the lack of variety of layouts. (I think there is likely to be a pent-up demand and we shall have a meaningful footfall.) To overcome this, I did suggest that the public can come in free but will need to PAY TO GET OUT - which is not as silly as it seems as we shall just ask for donations just as most museums do in the UK.

As it will be a public one day affair, there won't be any putting up of traders in hotels nor will there be any 'foreign' layout attendees either. Tables will be paid for, but the traders WILL get a free lunch and evening meal (all prepared by outside caterers). We shall be selling hot and cold drinks and pre-packed snacks - but nothing will be prepared on-site. Social distancing will apply and masks and hand disinfectant will be obligatory (subject to the rules in force at the time, natch.)

I'll let you know how we get on - IF there are no further restrictions.

Cheers,

Philip

Edited by Philou
spulling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

If a visitor has had both jabs I don't see why it should be necessary to wear masks. If it becomes obligatory then I doubt if I would attend, the damned things are so uncomfortable. It's OK for a few minutes if I have to pop into a shop or if the shopping precinct is crowded, but for several hours - don't think so.

Masks have always been for the protection of others, not the wearer.

The vaccine doesn't stop someone from contracting the virus. It allows their body to deal with it without causing problems.

Its affects against transmission are still being tested, but:

The vaccine teaches the body's immune system to deal with the virus more efficiently. It does not provide a barrier to exposure.

The carrier is able to re-infect but for a shorter period of time, which is why those vaccinated are being asked to continue wearing masks.

The UK vaccination programme is progressing very rapidly & it may well be possible that everyone who wants a jab will have had one by Autumn.

Wearing a mask all day may be a decision we will be required to make for some time. If so, we are free to decide not to go to the show or event. This is something exhibition managers will need to consider at this time although we will have a better idea closer to the time when any event can be held.

9 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

Masks have always been for the protection of others, not the wearer.

The vaccine doesn't stop someone from contracting the virus. It allows their body to deal with it without causing problems.

Its affects against transmission are still being tested, but:

The vaccine teaches the body's immune system to deal with the virus more efficiently. It does not provide a barrier to exposure.

The carrier is able to re-infect but for a shorter period of time, which is why those vaccinated are being asked to continue wearing masks.

The UK vaccination programme is progressing very rapidly & it may well be possible that everyone who wants a jab will have had one by Autumn.

I had to go to hospital for a minor operation yesterday, and was told I had to be shielding from Saturday when I had a Covid test till I'd had the op.  When I got to the hospital waiting room, there was an elderly gent there not wearing a mask.  He was medically exempt from mask wearing and had papers to prove it.  However he offered to put one on, and told me had already had 2 jabs.  When the surgeon called me in, he told me to take off my mask - necessary for the operation that I did so!  

I find it difficult to wear a face mask, hearing aid and spectacles all at the same time - just a bit much with only one pair of lugs so I'm not using the hearing aid very much.  I've had my first jab so should have some immunity, and get the second one towards the end of next month.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Philou said:

Over here in France where it's been pretty well obligatory once supplies of masks were freely available, there have been very few reported cases of 'flu and gastro-enteritis compared with other years. My view is that the mask together with more frequent washing of hands has reduced our 'normal' infections.

Yes and as I understand it other respiratory infections in the UK have been much lower this year as they have been forced aside by Covid and (possibly) by Covid mitigation measures.  But this is VERY risky for the health of society going forward - healthy individuals need to be exposed to things such as colds and flu so that immunity becomes widespread.  Were we to attempt to use things like masks and distancing to isolate ourselves it could rather rapidly get to the point that a previously harmless infection would cause extreme illness due to lack of general exposure.  Remember what killed the all-conquering Martians in 'War Of The Worlds'.....

I think the mask issue is more a 'human factors' one - most can endure them for a while when needed but they hinder communication (so much of which is facial expression) to such an extent that is is impossible to enjoy any experience whilst wearing them.  They are a stark symbol of being deprived of one of the basic and most natural things of humanity - to show one's face and connect with others - and thus must never go beyond being considered a temporary measure in the toughest of times.  If people a few months from now are unable to feel 'safe' unless surrounded by others who are masked then when will they ever?  

I actually think that exhibitions, concerts, theatre and all manner of other events and their organisers have a duty to cast aside these inhibitions on our lives (when legal to do so) and demonstrate that we are able to claim our old lives back and to mingle, communicate and enjoy the things we love just like before.

• RMweb Premium

The big question relating to exhibitions, especially large ones, is balancing the current risks and benefits, bearing in mind that the financial exposure could be very large indeed. Are there alternatives? In the Model Railway Club we are fortunate that Keen House (our HQ) is quite a big building - never quite enough for our needs though! It can accommodate a fair few people, even with COVID-safe restrictions. Simple ad hoc public opening in the next few months for one of our normal Open Days would probably be unwise, if not reckless, but on the other hand we need to cover the costs of running the Club. Our layouts are also a currently underused resource as, for instance, Copenhagen Fields doesn’t  have any show viewings until Spring 2022.

Whilst pondering the lack of shows, it occurred to us, why not have a very limited opening of the Club to show off CF to individuals in timed slots, by managing our visitors very carefully in the whole building? The lower hall could easily take a small number of guests and operators. We would have the layout fully up and running under exhibition conditions. The advantages of this for the onlooker could be a unique opportunity to get really ‘close and personal’ to a layout that is usually difficult to see and appreciate at crowded shows. There would be no barriers at the front and they would be able to get behind the scenes, even under them, to find out how the layout is built and see parts of it that are never visible under normal show conditions. There could even be opportunities to drive some of the trains. Of course, visitors may miss a lot unless the area’s history and the tricks, tips and tales of layout construction and exhibiting are explained - a sort of guided tour is needed. With the team on hand we would do our best to answer any questions arising in our small group discussions.

Using a slightly cloudy crystal ball, we are looking at opening up in this manner on the weekend of 10-11th July. I am really excited at the prospect of showing our layout in a new, more intimate type of model show - what do you think?

Tim

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 10/03/2021 at 12:45, PenrithBeacon said:

If a visitor has had both jabs I don't see why it should be necessary to wear masks. If it becomes obligatory then I doubt if I would attend, the damned things are so uncomfortable. It's OK for a few minutes if I have to pop into a shop or if the shopping precinct is crowded, but for several hours - don't think so.

They should make masks compulsory at exhibitions even if there wasn't a pandemic on ...... cuts out the smell of Body Odour which seems to waft around most of these exhibitions ........

• Agree 1

I've had an email today from a friend at a (relatively) local club asking me if I'd like to take a layout along to an open day in August. Quite apart from the fact that Sunday commitments mean I can't attend, at the moment getting there and exhibiting seems quite a big 'step' for me compared to what I've done up now. 

However it's good to see he's having a go.

I'm also aware of at least one club in the London area who have been asking on Facebook for layouts for a show in September. Again, given the awkwardness of the journey (would involve use of the Circle Line), and unfamiliarity of the venue, I haven't taken them up on it, but again, nice to see someone making plans.

13 hours ago, cambo74 said:

They should make masks compulsory at exhibitions even if there wasn't a pandemic on ...... cuts out the smell of Body Odour which seems to waft around most of these exhibitions ........

That has to be the most stupid comment yet .

Regards Arran

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, arran said:

That has to be the most stupid comment yet .

Regards Arran

Its a joke Arran ..... !!!  And check back through the thread .... you'll find a lot that are stupider ..... that is also a joke ........ Take it you've never been to the Warley Show at the NEC ....... go there and then lets revisit the comment ..... its well known and discussed for being a haven for the great unwashed as they are 'affectionately' known ....... but if it offends you then I apologise - just trying to lighten the mood mate.

Edited by cambo74
  • Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, cambo74 said:

Its a joke Arran ..... !!!  And check back through the thread .... you'll find a lot that are stupider ..... that is also a joke ........ Take it you've never been to the Warley Show at the NEC ....... go there and then lets revisit the comment ..... its well known and discussed for being a haven for the great unwashed as they are 'affectionately' known ....... but if it offends you then I apologise - just trying to lighten the mood mate.

I’m not offended by much in life and this doesn’t even register. 

I must have got up in a bad mood and their we me thinking only the opposite sex suffer from that !!!

now that will upset someone!!!

Regards Arran 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The Basingstoke show also just skimmed in below the wire before lockdown started last year. Attendance was well down and several of our members were shielding, so we only just had enough bodies to man the doors, catering, etc. We were fortunate indeed to get away without losing a small fortune, or more importantly, fuelling the epidemic.

Some of us had an idea that things would get bad, but still could not quite believe it.

Plans for a club Open Day this Autumn are being tentatively made.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Yes, a year ago I had an interesting couple of days, firstly beating Boris and helping move church to online services, then abandoning the N Gauge SouthEast show.  Like Ian above, we were fortunate and had very little in the way of losses.

Now, a year later, East Surrey N Gauge also are beginning to think of an autumn Open Day.  It probably won't matter if anyone comes - it will be a day for the club to get together and play trains.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Our club open day should have been in May, cancelled for two reasons..

One the virus,

The other the vaccine.. they've nicked the village hall as a Vaccination centre.

We may try for later in the year at a different hall, however every man and his dog show will be competing for the halls.

Our  2nd October ,10:00 till 16:00 Broadband MRC show at

Jubilee Family Centre

Norwich Road

Aylsham

Norfolk, UK

NR11 6JG 

Is provisionally booked with traders and layouts as booked for 2020.

Personally I  believe by then , all restrictions and mask wearing will be removed..

Masks can be hot, but if like me you've worn a full millitary respirator while running around in NBC suits or been changing oil soaked filters containing high concentrations of H2S wearing a full masks, plastic suits and rubber gloves. Then those worn for the virus are nothing.

I often spend weekends wearing overalls hat and face mask, goggles  gloves, boots and overalls now, either antifouling a boat or as  this weekend derusting a trailer..

• Like 6

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, TheQ said:

image.png.89f26f0c4963c40cd92f3ecd64760e8e.png

That covid is a really nasty virus, gives you a really fuzzy yellow head..

Bad cases of yellow fever. The vaccination for that flipn floored me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

In Kent, I have seen 2 posts on Facebook regarding possible exhibitions this year, posted by Kerry of Invicta Model Rail Ltd (IMRL).

The first is at the Bredgar and Wormshill Light Railway near Sittingbourne where Kerry has been approached to organise the exhibition as she had done back in 2018 and 2019. This is supposed to take place on Sunday 1st August from 10:30am to 4:00pm. You just pay for admission to the railway and you can also ride on the trains all day. You will need to drive to here though as it is close to the M2 Junction 5 for the A249.

The second one, Kerry posted a message from The Medway Model Show (TMMS) at Fort Pitt in Chatham saying that they hope to run on Saturday 4th and Sunday 5th September. This show is about 1/3 mile from Chatham Station.

You would need to check the current rules and also keep checking online or on the Facebook pages for IMRL and TMMS to make sure these are 100% going ahead.

• RMweb Premium
On 10/03/2021 at 11:57, ardbealach said:

In today's Times there is an article about Oasis - I understand they are a popular music beat band - and a performance  contract they had before they were famous.  I am thinking as model railway enthusiasts we might have the same contract for our own performances at model railway exhibitions.  The contract stated

"The management agrees to provide and pay for at least two able bodied and sober speaking persons to assist the road crew in unloading, setting up, breaking down and reloading of the artist's equipment"   It also asks for "a good quality hot meal" and "24 large cans of quality lager".

I would settle for the lager being struck out as at my age my bladder could not accommodate 24 cans of lager - even if it was a quality lager.  What do you think?  [Alisdair]    

My wife says she wants a bottle of Merlot - and kittens in her dressing room!

• Friendly/supportive 1