Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

From the PRESS RELEASE:

This exciting new release builds on the success of our first locomotive model that received widespread acclaim for its impressive level of detail, control and sheer play-value. The SLW Class 24 has delighted thousands of modellers, collectors and enthusiasts with the press reviews having been equally glowing.

Feedback from our ‘accuracy comes first’ and ‘continuous improvement’ mantras has been extremely positive so we set ourselves the difficult task of creating a product that surpasses our earlier benchmark... With our brand new Class 25, we are convinced that goal has been achieved.

We’re not usually ones for making advance announcements or providing running commentaries on our projects. This communiqué is an exception, prompted by a wish to avoid disappointing our loyal followers and supporters. We have been working behind the scenes for some time on this new model, as proven by the ability to show you complete and working examples. We are, of course, aware that the big manufacturers are promoting similar projects. 

Now’s the time to spill the beans…

We wondered how our long-term customers would feel if they had recently bought another brand of model locomotive only to find that a superior SLW product became available shortly afterwards? It was quickly realised that we could be spending an awful lot of time rebuilding trust and answering the all-important question: “Why didn’t you say something to me sooner?”.

Although SLW satisfies a healthy niche within the hobby, there is always some cross-over with the ‘mainstream’ market. Therefore, we present this otherwise privileged information now, in order for you to be in possession of the facts before making any purchasing decisions.

The on-line discount retailers and big manufacturers are now encouraging you to place pre-orders for their alternative offerings. If you’re not too hasty, you will have plenty of time to make your own comparisons with the new SLW Class 25.

Our promise to tackle more subjects is now being honoured thanks to you making the Class 24 such a triumph. As a small independent business with a philosophy that’s rooted in accuracy over financial gain, your vote is needed to thrive in an increasingly crowded market. We think... you deserve a ‘proper job’ to be made of this important diesel type. We believe... you’ll trust SLW to deliver. We know... you will not be disappointed!

Future Q&A video in preparation

Unlike our previous Class 24, the current lockdown measures have precluded a formal launch party for the SLW Class 25, where you would have been able to inspect, handle and see the models in action. This was scheduled to co-incide with the 30th anniversary of D7672 Tamworth Castle’s last main line run at the end of March. In place of the intended open weekend, we will gradually be releasing more online content over the coming weeks via newsletters and our Facebook page.

If you have any questions about our Class 25 project that have not been answered by the information flyer PDF, then please feel free to e-mail them to: slw@railexclusive.com . We are in the process of compiling a short video presentation which will include a question and answer section. We will try to include as many of your queries as possible and give as complete responses as possible. 

Reserve online and by telephone

We are opening-up the Class 25 for telephone reservation now (office hours) and on-line from March 1st, when our redesigned webshop goes live at www.railexclusive.com  You call us on 01780 470086 but please be patient and try again if you cannot get through first time or if the phone rings out. Like many small businesses we are operating at greatly reduced capacity, with some remote working, social distancing and odd office hours so we cannot be as responsive as normal.

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 6

Wow, having just digested the email I think they have definitely timed it right to confirm their announcement. I knew this was on their road map as the class 24 chassis has the detail for behind the engine room window but suspected they had canned it with both Bachmann and Heljan doing a 25/3.

Edited by 37114
Spelling
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Nick G said:

HELLO RAT FANS: Our four-page flyer explains: “This is no pipe-dream or ambition. This is reality. The complicated tooling is complete. The decoration has been passed. The running samples have been examined, refined and approved.” Fully-working models in BR Blue and BR Two-Tone Green are stabled side by side on our office diorama and display a wealth of intricate detail including see-through photo-etched grilles throughout, allowing framing and radiator details to be seen. © Photo: SLW studio

fff17bd4-1f8b-4f03-b517-edfb4d06a30b.jpg

That blue 25 with msp looks sooooo good. Good job guys!!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news! The photos are just stunning.

No more wondering about how the other one will actually look in the flesh - I did think the reaction on that thread was strangely muted, and now I guess we know why. Well done for staying the course SLW!

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Excellent news. I’ll be after BR blue with dominos for sure, so it looks like 25324 for me. But I do have a question for the Rat experts. Heljan is advertising 25155 in BR blue as a “WR” version. Is this just because it is modelled as it was when allocated to the WR for a period, or are there detail differences with “WR” locos - in which I might wait for that version.

Interesting to look at the model numbers in the flyer. I can’t see 2534, 2535 or 2539 so I wonder what they are?

is it just me or does anyone else think its an absolute disgrace that they haven't added the options to buy these on the website yet????? Talk about teasing and making us wait to place the orders!! I can guess which phone number is going to be BUSY tomorrow! ... ;)

• Funny 2

3 minutes ago, GordonC said:

is it just me or does anyone else think its an absolute disgrace that they haven't added the options to buy these on the website yet????? Talk about teasing and making us wait to place the orders!! I can guess which phone number is going to be BUSY tomorrow! ... ;)

The updated website will have them available to pre-order on 1st March.

• Like 5