Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I was always taught a glossy brochure without a price tag, means its going to hurt.

Well my first Bachmann ones were about 35 quid so these must be about 45-50 :)

• Funny 11

13 minutes ago, GordonC said:

is it just me or does anyone else think its an absolute disgrace that they haven't added the options to buy these on the website yet????? Talk about teasing and making us wait to place the orders!! I can guess which phone number is going to be BUSY tomorrow! ... ;)

suits me.

I can now browse the menu at leisure before picking my choices and ordering. A more enjoyable way to empty the piggy bank than a mad panic today :-)

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Wolf27 said:

That's never stopped you before!:lol:

I’d go DCC sound, only i’d have a nice collection, but no house to keep it in.

looking at the brochure, I guess theres a few more surprises to follow..

catalog 2534 / 2535/ 2539 havent been shown yet...

in my inbox email there is a picture of 25184.. and not to mess with Alan...

Edited by adb968008

14 minutes ago, russ p said:

Any rough ideas on price? Ideally I would like two with stay alive and sound 

It is possible that they have maintained the same price as the class 24, if this is so then the pricing will be as follows. 

PRICING

• Sound-equipped locomotive (DCC) £295

• Standard locomotive (12V DC analogue) £185
Sound loco will operate on DC but with limited functionality – engine sounds and some lights only

Stay-alive upgrade (only with DCC sound option);
• SC68 6,800µf super-capacitor pre-installed (£30 extra)

Alternative wheel options:
• OO/16.5mm gauge wheels as standard (no charge)
• EM/18.2mm gauge wheelsets, factory-fitted (£20 extra)
• P4/18.83mm gauge wheelsets, factory-fitted (£20 extra)
With EM & P4 orders, the redundant OO wheels are included as spares, in case they are needed in the future.

Postage

• P&P for one model (Royal Mail UK tracked and signed for): £8
Capped at a maximum cost of £10 for 2+ models delivered at the same time.
Overseas P&P quotation given on request. VAT will be deducted from overseas sales where legitimate.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I’d go DCC sound, only i’d have a nice collection, but no house to keep it in.

looking at the brochure, I guess theres a few more surprises to follow..

catalog 2534 / 2535/ 2539 havent been shown yet...

Slow down Tiger, think of the mortgage company!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I keep ringing 25324 but I just can't get through!

(I will try again first thing tomorrow and keep trying all day long if I need too!)

Kev.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, SHMD said:

I keep ringing 25324 but I just can't get through!

(I will try again first thing tomorrow and keep trying all day long if I need too!)

Kev.

Your not dialling it quite right... go back to the 70’s.. exchange, pause, number..

25 324

:rolleyes:

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

But I do have a question for the Rat experts. Heljan is advertising 25155 in BR blue as a “WR” version. Is this just because it is modelled as it was when allocated to the WR for a period, or are there detail differences with “WR” locos - in which I might wait for that version.

Early western region diesels had different lamp brackets to fit the old GWR head and tail lamps, they were side mounted rather than at the back.  I’m not sure when they reverted to BR standard brackets but I would assume in the mid 70’s after the hydraulic’s had been withdrawn.  I’m sure others will clarify this.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Max Legroom said:

Regarding the pasties and haggis comment, I’m guessing that WR and ScR versions are coming at some point. I wonder if they will do one of the batch with steam heat.

Phew , I don't need to sell a kidney just yet then , still gotta find the money for the 2 24/1's I've pre ordered from them

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

They look absolutely stunning - but (uh-oh)..... c1978-intro OHLE flash design on the green 'un....?

There is a picture of it on Derby Sulzers in that livery with the warning flashes..

5 minutes ago, Mattgod69 said:

There is a picture of it on Derby Sulzers in that livery with the warning flashes..

Yes, but there were two designs of red/white warning flash - the 1961 original (upward-pointing arrow head with single electrical flash below) and the c1978 update (two electrical flashes sans arrow head). SLW used the correct older design on their Class 24 (I just checked!) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

They look absolutely stunning - but (uh-oh)..... c1978-intro OHLE flash design on the green 'un....?

It is the correct early style on the livery illustration below, so it is surely very likely to be correct on the production models - I can't see SLW slipping up over something like that.

That will be a Blue one for me with Domino's - thanks SLW.

Going to go for the Sound fitted option as always hankered for a rat sound.

Worried about ending up with a rat infestation though, given 4 Bachmann and 2 Heljan ones in similar liveries in due course, not to mention a Heljan ETHEL - quick, call 'Pest-o-Blast' before it gets out of hand and I end up with a SLW ETHEL3 too!

My only regret is nobody has done a Class 25/0 yet as I would absolutely  love one of these RTR though won't hack a model as I know I always make a mess!

Edited by Opelsi
Edited due to ineptitude!
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The 25 doesn't really fit into the era I model, nonetheless I'll probably be pre-ordering one of these once I've decided on which livery. This level of detail and finesse is like nothing we've seen before.

Edited by Chris56057

Oooooo! I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of these! The 24 being absolutely exceptional, I've always thought the 25 was the logical progression, and thankfully that's now a reality! D7628 is one of my favourite locos and hopefully I'll be able to add the ultimate model example to my fleet eventually!

Cheers

J

• RMweb Gold

Ive got to admit its refocussed my attention.

For a start it looks like a 25.., the cab windows/door shape catches my eye, the Heljan one felt a bit flat fronted and lacking something.. this one definitely has it.

I was waivering over a couple of Heljan 25’s, which could gave tumbled into several...but it was that niggling caution “wait until you see it” that held me back from ordering.. however this one i’d ready to go.. just have to see if the price tag whacks me in the face and knocks me flat first.. 

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 8