Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, steveb860 said:

Is it only me who feels sorry for all the retailers who are having Heljan Cl25  pre orders cancelled on the back of this announcement ? Timing couldn't have been worse considering they are imminent.

I do feel sympathy for them although it has been a known risk to them with both SLW and Bachmann having had the potential to beat them to the market. With that in mind Heljan could and probably should have ensured their model was absolutely 100% right but they dont seem to have taken that initiative and known mistakes are still present in the final preproduction samples. The proof of that for me is that all of the doubts I have looking at the 'face' of the Heljan version are stark clear  when compared to the SLW version - its the equivalent of putting my glasses on and seeing properly what a 25 should look like. I feel for the retailers but Heljan have had their chance here and haven't taken it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 hours ago, Neil Phillips said:

They look absolutely stunning - but (uh-oh)..... c1978-intro OHLE flash design on the green 'un....?

The official response from Jamie:

The two-tone green Class 25/3 was photographed with late overhead warning flashes – this was a sample provided by our paint shop specifically for checking another area of decoration. The model was double-checked before approval and we can confirm the production models are specified with the correct early style of warning flash.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Signaller69 said:

This. Having just bought an SLW 24/0, my concern is the long promised 24/1 (which I and many others have been patiently waiting for - and hope of a 25/0, neither of which have ever been done) will get pushed back again with the race to get the new 25 out, in a market soon to be awash with 25/2s? 

I totally get the quality arguments, there is no doubt the SLW loco will be the best.

But I'm a bit disappointed at this announcement given the slow progress of the 24/1 by comparison. 

This is the official response regarding the 24/1 from Jamie:

The Class 24/1 Highland loco is unaffected by the new Class 25 and the two projects have been running alongside each other for some time. We have significant progress to report as soon as time can be found to put it together into a presentable form (as a customer newsletter), however it is a complex project and presented several manufacturing challenges which have taken longer than expected to overcome. It must be remembered that SLW is a very small team, essentially a one-man band with admin support. As the newsletter outlined, certain jobs have had to be prioritised (model despatch) due to remote working, social distancing, warehouse access and odd office hours. Things are looking very good for the Highland loco, and we are sure you won’t be disappointed when we issue the next update as soon as the current Class 25 activity dies down.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

2 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

25322 and 324 ordered, and they wont be the last ones coming my way.

I thought the Heljan one was ok and planned to buy three next week.  Luckily for me, (but not for Heljan )  this announcement came just in time.  Ive 3 class 24s already and theyre the best locos in my fleet, im sure the 25s will be at least as good.

Yes, I’m going to order the same two. Could be tempted with Ethel as well, but it depends how much overtime I can do at work. There’s so many top notch new models due soon, Including Accurascale’s Deltic and 37’s, finances are going to be really stretched. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Nick G said:

This is the official response regarding the 24/1 from Jamie:

The Class 24/1 Highland loco is unaffected by the new Class 25 and the two projects have been running alongside each other for some time. We have significant progress to report as soon as time can be found to put it together into a presentable form (as a customer newsletter), however it is a complex project and presented several manufacturing challenges which have taken longer than expected to overcome. It must be remembered that SLW is a very small team, essentially a one-man band with admin support. As the newsletter outlined, certain jobs have had to be prioritised (model despatch) due to remote working, social distancing, warehouse access and odd office hours. Things are looking very good for the Highland loco, and we are sure you won’t be disappointed when we issue the next update as soon as the current Class 25 activity dies down.

Thanks Nick, excellent news. I was going to ask if it was ok to post this response when you messaged me, but you've beaten me to it!:good_mini:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

With announcements like this i’m glad I’m still stuck in the past (DC).

spent all day on the phone today, but all work.. 

so tomorrow i’m in for 2 Blue, maybe a third, 25912 and maybe a green one...

not sure about Ethel, I may go with a token Heljan for this, as i’ll never see the front, and I may strip it out and let it be pulled... that said the loco to pull it, will be one of my oldest ever renumbers.. a model of 5407 in LMS black, dating back to the mid80’s, same time as Ethel was ethelling... its no oil painting in todays standards, and the rat might need to give the old ringfield a push!

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Does anybody know when the last 25/2 or 25/3 was operational with a headcode panel rather than displaying dominos?

So far I have found 25120 with headcodes still in June 1981, but a fairly new looking set of dominos in June 1982, but by no means do I claim that as the latest.

Thanks,

Roy

I saw one in 1983, but would have to find the picture. Was surprised at the time

2 hours ago, stovepipe said:

A little yes, though I suspect a good number of people were waiting to see what the Heljan one was like first before ordering. There certainly is/was some cause for waiting to my eyes.  And at £30+ cheaper I'm sure the Heljan ones will still satisfy many folk, and those who want a rat NOW.

The SLW timing is of a course a deliberate consequence of the Heljan ones arriving - to avoid the 'if only I'd known' conversations..., but it does involve a wait to midsummer or thereabouts for delivery.

I must admit, I was in the wait-and-see camp with the Heljan 25. But was poised to place an order. The SLW1 looks fantastic, and that’s where my order is going!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

In terms of sales i wonder where this will leave the Bachmann version? Heljan will be first to market, so will get sales, slw wont be too far behind and will be the all singing and dancing,  bells and whistles, albeit more expensive version, so where does the bachy sit? Last to market, probably (by that time) as expensive as slw? Will there be any market share left for the barwell 25/3 version at all i wonder?

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Will there be any market share left for the barwell 25/3 version at all i wonder?

Given that they have many more stockists than Heljan do who in turn have many more stockists than SLW, then yes. People extend their own thoughts to a wider marketplace and are frequently wrong.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

There will be a huge difference in price between the Class 25s of the major manufacturers and that of SLW. I have balked at buying a SLW 24 because I prefer the Sulzer Type 2 with lots of intakes on the sides and a headcode box, so I have set my little heart on the SLW Highland BR Sulzer. I have also got a soft spot for the later variant of the 25, there were loads around in my trainspotting days and I even worked on a few during my training at Kingmoor, so I have one of Heljan's offerings on order.

I really am not sure that I want to spend another huge amount of money on another 25.

4 hours ago, steveb860 said:

Is it only me who feels sorry for all the retailers who are having Heljan Cl25  pre orders cancelled on the back of this announcement ? Timing couldn't have been worse considering they are imminent.

34 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

In terms of sales i wonder where this will leave the Bachmann version? Heljan will be first to market, so will get sales, slw wont be too far behind and will be the all singing and dancing,  bells and whistles, albeit more expensive version, so where does the bachy sit? Last to market, probably (by that time) as expensive as slw? Will there be any market share left for the barwell 25/3 version at all i wonder?

Andy Y has pointed out the much wider distribution of Heljan and Bachmann, SLW is a premium product with a niche customer base and I would suggest a good match for the aspirations of many regular RMWeb users. Whilst that means that for many here SLW becomes the model of choice there are many hundreds of people who will be happy with 25s in various shades of blue boxes. 

• Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Will there be any market share left for the barwell 25/3 version at all i wonder?

If the Bachy 25 is as good as their recent 24 with headcode box, then I will be happy to run one or two next to the SLW on order.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

5 hours ago, Nick G said:

The official response from Jamie:

The two-tone green Class 25/3 was photographed with late overhead warning flashes – this was a sample provided by our paint shop specifically for checking another area of decoration. The model was double-checked before approval and we can confirm the production models are specified with the correct early style of warning flash.

A-ha, good to know - some other manufacturers, when faced with a choice of two, have, er, 'not chosen wisely', but the Class 24 had the correct style so I'm not really surprised to hear this. 

10 hours ago, andyman7 said:

Andy Y has pointed out the much wider distribution of Heljan and Bachmann, SLW is a premium product with a niche customer base and I would suggest a good match for the aspirations of many regular RMWeb users. Whilst that means that for many here SLW becomes the model of choice there are many hundreds of people who will be happy with 25s in various shades of blue boxes. 

Yes on reflection thats very true.  

10 hours ago, 96701 said:

There will be a huge difference in price between the Class 25s of the major manufacturers and that of SLW. 

Its about £30 isnt it, not sure Id call that a huge difference though

• Agree 1

On 24/02/2021 at 18:34, Craig85 said:

Brilliant news. Not sure if I will be going ahead with my order for the Heljan class 25. Look forward to seeing this develop in the next few months.

Maybe a "Rat Off" is in order?

I'm sure there are enough on here to go over "things" with a fine toothed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I do feel sympathy for them although it has been a known risk to them with both SLW and Bachmann having had the potential to beat them to the market. With that in mind Heljan could and probably should have ensured their model was absolutely 100% right but they dont seem to have taken that initiative and known mistakes are still present in the final preproduction samples. The proof of that for me is that all of the doubts I have looking at the 'face' of the Heljan version are stark clear  when compared to the SLW version - its the equivalent of putting my glasses on and seeing properly what a 25 should look like. I feel for the retailers but Heljan have had their chance here and haven't taken it.

I take an old fashioned view . Just as if I place an order I expect to get the model , reference the preorder thread, the reverse is also true . My view is if I order it I have an obligation to take the model and pay for it .   If you don’t the retailer is left with expensive stock to shift and you also are responsible for creating a situation where retailer receives orders for 10 , but know what I’ll only order 8 from manufacturer because some orders will drop off . And then we complain because our orders aren’t fulfilled . 

• Agree 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Crisis Rail said:

All good news - but some say the good old Hornby shell still gives everything a "run for the mun"

Beauty is in the eye of and all that :D

It is very good, if you ignore all the things that are wrong with it :jester:

Roy

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Depending on where you shop, the difference is a little as £5 between SLW and Heljan.

Roy

28 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I would say that £30.00 is a big difference!    

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

It is very good, if you ignore all the things that are wrong with it :jester:

Roy

:D Morning Roy.

I did say that some are perfectly happy with it and even to a point positively promote it  - must be something in the shape?