Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, w124bob said:

And if you currently want a 25/0 the Barwell route is the only way to go at the moment, I've done it so know whats involved. See here https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/150131-Bachmann-headcode-box-24/page/13/#comments

Scroll down for 5170

Hi Bob

Thanks. In the past I have done Hornby conversions to 25/0 and 24/1 with headcode box, ScR, LMR and one of the ones which had wings to its headcode box. These were sold on years ago in a downsizing exercise, regrettably. At the moment I have a Hornby one to finish and a Bachy 24/1 waiting for me to convert it. Other past Hornby conversions include quite a few 24s, late bodied 25s (boiler and tablet catcher variants) and a 25/1 sans water-'oter.

I did get quite some way in scratchbuilding a 24 and a late body 25 but stupidly scraped them when the Bachy models were introduced. In hindsight I should have finished them not because I think the Bachmann ones are useless, they are not, but it would have been nice just to have them. I have a secondhand DJH late body 25 which was the bees knees when it was introduced, the poor bee has really bad arthritis in its knees. Never had a MTK model. I did have a very well made late body 25 where the builder (Colin on here) used a Craftsman conversion kit, that to went when downsizing.

925547236_IM(24)a.jpg.f152727d634dfef74f3521d4842577ae.jpg

I did start a Derby version of a SR type3 with the same 1500hp engine as the 33s and no boiler. A cab like a 24 with the cant rail grills of a late body 25

D71XXa.jpg.3b6e4f1780ec1ee9faf8cec2a3af49fd.jpg

I should finish it one day.

I still run my Hornby 24 conversions alongside my SLW ones, and why not I put the effort into making them. When running around my layout a two-tone green SLW and a two-tone green Bachmann double heading with 12 coaches look great.  I really like the much higher standards of recent models. My concern is will people enjoy them as much as I have making and then running my conversions? I hope they do.

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

3 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Not when built no, but quite a few had their unused boiler ventilation grille sheeted over in the blue livery period. 

Cheers. Eyeing up a couple of 25324's to represent late 1970's locomotives. 

Cameron

Edited by Mophead45143

3 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Not when built no

It's not quite that simple, as a photo exists of D7646 at Derby, newly delivered from Beyer Peacock with D7645 behind, with a panelled-over boiler grille. Judging by the headcode (8M13) this was the photo Bachmann referenced for 32-405, although they had the grilles exposed on that. D7645 behind is the right way round, I'm not 100% certain as only a small portion is visible, but that one looks panelled too (Bachmann's first two-tone green 25 release of course - and the first real one I saw whilst circling London to reach Chingford for Gilwell Park behind D827 'Kelly' in the early hours of 25/7/67!) However D7647's were exposed, so were D7648's which I photographed at Derby 4/11/69. D7652/5/7's boiler grilles were blanked off while in green (as were many other Class 24s and 25s) but from new? Was this boiler grille blanking of B-P's final Class 25 output as random as it appears? Who knows now........

• RMweb Gold

Well that is something I was not aware... can the photo be linked to on the net? And for the avoidance of any doubt are we talking about the same thing? i.e. the grille sheeted over flush with a flat bodyside, or just a blanking panel fitted over the grille?

I'm aware of this one of D7645 at Kenny O, which clearly has the latter - on this side anway.

D7645_KenO_7-7-67

And here's D7646 also with the latter

D7646

D7646 Clapham Junction April 69 Slide 422

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Well that is something I was not aware... can the photo be linked to on the net? And for the avoidance of any doubt are we talking about the same thing? i.e. the grille sheeted over flush with a flat bodyside, or just a blanking panel fitted over the grille?

I'm aware of this one of D7645 at Kenny O, which clearly has the latter - on this side anway.

D7645_KenO_7-7-67

D7646

Have always assumed boiler room grilled were sheeted over when the body side footsteps were done

46 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

and heres the old D7644, 25294, with the sheeted over side. One of 62 locos so treated.

We're on our way to Rainhill. 20.5.80

That's something I have never noticed before, I have always just pictured them in my head with either a plated over grille, or with the grille still present. Something else to consider when picking a prototype to model! 

Cameron

Cameron

I did 25211 with the plated over boiler grill, although in this case its was in 7mm, (see pic below). Quite a few had it done. I don't have a definitive list, but a visit to the Derby Sulzer website brings forth the information, together with the dates they were done. See link below.

https://www.derbysulzers.com/changes.html#Boiler Room Grille

25211-b.jpg.7ccfb06c8dd8cb2a2b31977a547aa04d.jpg

Paul J.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

I have been reading through this thread but I can't find a date that the model will be released. It's possible I have missed it but any info on when it's due would be great.

Cheers Peter.

11 hours ago, stovepipe said:

D7645_KenO_7-7-67

D7646

Yes, definitely blanking panels over the grilles - the 'welded completely flush' look started in the 1970s TOPS blue era, from memory one I recall seeing was 25101 at Stoke-on-Trent in early 1978 - I didn't realise this mod was being done until then. The photo of D7646 I referred to was in the one-off 'DIESELS' magazines which appeared in 1996 - photo is credited 'B. J. Swain/Colour-Rail' if this helps.

I have two very early WR Class 25s, 5180 and D7657, in a c75% completed state, based on Bachmann models, and to get them both right I had to press out the blanking panels and grilles and swap them over, so it was very helpful that they were not securely glued in!

4 hours ago, P.C.M said:

I have been reading through this thread but I can't find a date that the model will be released. It's possible I have missed it but any info on when it's due would be great.

Cheers Peter.

There was a reference in one of the earlier posts that the website will be updated tomorrow (1st March) to allow pre-orders. I haven't seen any prices yet, but it's a fair bet they will be the same as the existing class 24s.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, SRman said:

There was a reference in one of the earlier posts that the website will be updated tomorrow (1st March) to allow pre-orders. I haven't seen any prices yet, but it's a fair bet they will be the same as the existing class 24s.

Those who ordered by phone from SLW this week report that prices are the same as for the SLW 24

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 25/02/2021 at 20:07, Mel_H said:

I saw one in 1983, but would have to find the picture. Was surprised at the time

It was 25243 on Monday 1st August 1983

Haven't located my picture yet, but here's one the previous year (Colourrail) of it at Temple Mills on 14/04/1982

Screenshot 2021-02-28 at 05.21.08.png

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Cheers Peter.

The link that is in the first post is the flyer for the model. It advises that the development of the model tooling is complete and the colour samples have been approved. Production is due to start in March, with delivery expected in the summer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, P.C.M said:

Cheers Peter.

154107853_1174409182990444_2091858754200242197_o.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Albie the plumber said:

The class 24 sounds by Paul Chetter are sublime ! 

Does anyone know whether it will be his sounds in the 25 ? 

If do , will it be his existing project or a completely new one for these locos?

From Jamie:

There are details of the sound set-up on Page 4 of the flyer. More details will be revealed in due course, but the sounds will be a significant improvement over that used on the Class 24 as a result of technological improvements and new recording techniques. It is a completely new and exclusive project (unavailable for use in other model brands) from the same author as the Class 24. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

8 minutes ago, Nick G said:

From Jamie:

There are details of the sound set-up on Page 4 of the flyer. More details will be revealed in due course, but the sounds will be a significant improvement over that used on the Class 24 as a result of technological improvements and new recording techniques. It is a completely new and exclusive project (unavailable for use in other model brands) from the same author as the Class 24. 

Oh fantastic! :good:

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Nick G said:

Shared with permission from Phillip.

Class25pp-sidesq.jpg

I have only just stumbled across this and as a 1980s BR Blue modeller, I have to say this is the most outstanding model I have ever seen, gives you goosebumps!

An outstanding effort by all involved and a big thanks. Only one problem, once I am lucky enough to own one I shall be just too scared to weather it and somehow a 1980s rat needs dirt!

Oh well, I have a feeling I wont have just the one.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, InterCitySpud said:

An outstanding effort by all involved and a big thanks. Only one problem, once I am lucky enough to own one I shall be just too scared to weather it and somehow a 1980s rat needs dirt!

www.tomfosterweathering.wordpress.com
If you need the Best 25 Model get it weathered by one of the Best weathers (other ones are available).But Tom is my recommendation!

• Agree 1