Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

58 minutes ago, Nick G said:

Latest teaser from SLW

SOMETHING IS HEATING UP (UNDER THE GRILLE)

Another small taster picture of our new Class 25, showing ETHEL 3's (No. 97252) body fitted with an unpainted shoulder grille for clarity. This characteristic feature of the flat-sided 'Rats' has been photo-etched in stainless steel and carefully formed to the cantrail curvature. You should (just) be able to see the air filters through these on the finished models. 

156353098_1176958989402130_3060448640604672877_o.jpg

Very nice.

Do you know when these will be able to order online?

Thanks 

Will 

1 hour ago, dj_crisp said:

Very nice.

Do you know when these will be able to order online?

Thanks 

Will 

From Sutton's Locomotive Workshop Facebook page:

Sutton's Locomotive Workshop

Hello Nick. As mentioned above, the updated webshop will go live very soon - e-commerce is not as much fun as playing trains or talking to customers. Just in testing phase at the moment and I will make a special post on here when it is live. We honestly don't mind (actually prefer) talking to customers and modellers! So use the polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride phone (bakelite bone) if you can't wait... Lines open 09.00 tomorrow

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

Latest teaser from SLW

SOMETHING IS HEATING UP (UNDER THE GRILLE)

Another small taster picture of our new Class 25, showing ETHEL 3's (No. 97252) body fitted with an unpainted shoulder grille for clarity. This characteristic feature of the flat-sided 'Rats' has been photo-etched in stainless steel and carefully formed to the cantrail curvature. You should (just) be able to see the air filters through these on the finished models. 

156353098_1176958989402130_3060448640604672877_o.jpg

Impressive super detail......very glad I decided on an SLW version now.

• Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Yes, the Sulzer power unit was used to drive the EH generator but the traction motors were removed.

Roy

No EH generator fitted, power taken from main and the aux gen left alone to power aux motors.

Hope you can get into the ETHEL cab as there are a few mods to the cab required vs normal cab.

• Like 1

On 25/02/2021 at 08:32, milepost46 said:

They look very impressive, but I model the Scottish Highlands and apart from Ayr/Motherwell areas they were not that common, so in some ways I'm a bit disappointed that it's not a 25/0 or early 25/2. It's going to be hard to justify this time.

Seen at least one photo of 25109 on the West Highland

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nick G said:

From Sutton's Locomotive Workshop Facebook page:

Sutton's Locomotive Workshop

Hello Nick. As mentioned above, the updated webshop will go live very soon - e-commerce is not as much fun as playing trains or talking to customers. Just in testing phase at the moment and I will make a special post on here when it is live. We honestly don't mind (actually prefer) talking to customers and modellers! So use the polyoxybenzylmethylenglycolanhydride phone (bakelite bone) if you can't wait... Lines open 09.00 tomorrow

just in case anyone wanted to now how to say it.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 7

12 hours ago, 25901 said:

No EH generator fitted, power taken from main and the aux gen left alone to power aux motors.

Hope you can get into the ETHEL cab as there are a few mods to the cab required vs normal cab.

Could the Ethels still move around under their own power, or was a deliberate break made to the traction motors?

Paul. 

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Could the Ethels still move around under their own power, or was a deliberate break made to the traction motors?

Paul. 

As I posted above, traction motors were removed.

Roy

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

As I posted above, traction motors were removed.

Roy

But these models will still be able to be driven? That’s a shame as I believe that to provide ETS the sulzer was run up to about half power and left at this rate for the service. If we will need to now double head instead of drag these units the sound will change. Unless the purchaser pulls his or her expensive model apart and starts removing gears I can’t see another way round it. 

16 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

But these models will still be able to be driven? That’s a shame as I believe that to provide ETS the sulzer was run up to about half power and left at this rate for the service. If we will need to now double head instead of drag these units the sound will change. Unless the purchaser pulls his or her expensive model apart and starts removing gears I can’t see another way round it. 

Hopefully SLW sound file will have the ETHEL mode option in it like Legomanbiffo does so that not matter how slow or fast it goes the sound doesn't change.

45 minutes ago, slg said:

Hopefully SLW sound file will have the ETHEL mode option in it like Legomanbiffo does so that not matter how slow or fast it goes the sound doesn't change.

Very interesting I didn't know the ETHEL was going to be offered with a sound fitted option ??

Assuming it's being hauled by 1or 2 EM2 fitted 37's it's unlikely you would hear any sounds coming from the ETHEL....

Edited by tractor_37260
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, slg said:

Thanks Sig.

Hopefully yes but I think I’ll wait for some clarity from SLW on this before make a purchase.

1 hour ago, slg said:

Tricky one for sound, all the aux motors were left in and used. Even the compressors were left in so the ETHEL could be used in a static role (air required for engine control)

1 hour ago, tractor_37260 said:

Very interesting I didn't know the ETHEL was going to be offered with a sound fitted option ??

Assuming it's being hauled by 1or 2 EM2 fitted 37's it's unlikely you would hear any sounds coming from the ETHEL....

Even if it isn’t offered with sound there will be folks who will want to fit it. Once fitted only a minority of functions will be of use to an ETHEL unit but functions that none the less will bring the beast to life. It will sound pretty good in my opinion on half beans being pulled out of Fort William (or any other station of choice) by a noisy tractor. You will hear the different sounds and tone of both. I just don’t want it to be powered. Powered as In the need to drive it.

Edited by mallaig1983

21 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Even if it isn’t offered with sound there will be folks who will want to fit it. Once fitted only a minority of functions will be of use to an ETHEL unit but functions that none the less will bring the beast to life. It will sound pretty good in my opinion on half beans being pulled out of Fort William (or any other station of choice) by a noisy tractor. You will hear the different sounds and tone of both. I just don’t want it to be powered. Powered as In the need to drive it.

Should be easy enough to make it un-powered if necessary by removing the drive shafts, and possibly the main bogie drive pinion gears.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 25901 said:

Tricky one for sound, all the aux motors were left in and used. Even the compressors were left in so the ETHEL could be used in a static role (air required for engine control)

Don't forget ETHELs were often attached to stock long before the loco hauling the train - providing pre-heat. There are plenty of photos of stock in platforms with just an ETHEL at the head. Several on this page for starters: Derby Sulzers

Roy

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1