Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, Nick G said:

Whoever suggested launching a brand new webshop at the same time as getting a new hosting package is currently getting both barrels!

In my experience two things are broadly true of most companies:

1) there is an increasing reliance on IT for new ways to do things which worked fine before, and

2) the IT department is utterly incompetent.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

1) there is an increasing reliance on IT for new ways to do things which worked fine before, and

3) anybody with "service" in their job title thinks they are only there to service themselves ;)

Roy

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

For IT substitute Microsoft and Windoze 10.

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

As the closest thing we have a head of IT I totally agree with both points, but particularly number 2.

• Funny 4

Back to rat news.......

Heres the latest pics of the competition, they make an interesting contrast.....

They might help potential purchasers make an informed choice.

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/Heljan-class-25/Heljan-2531-class-25-3-d5244-weathered-editionin-br-two-tone-green-with-small-yellow-panels-livery/

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/Heljan-class-25/Heljan-2536-class-25-3-25155-weathered-edition-in-br-blue-with-full-yellow-ends-livery/

Edited by The Ghost of IKB
Spelling

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Bit harsh to pick on the two weathered ones as a comparator when Ben has acknowledged they are poor and need to be addressed. Surely linking to a pristine blue example would have been farer and more representative, especially as SLW don't do weathered models?

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Clarity
  • Like 4
  • Agree 12

• Moderators
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

They might help potential purchasers make an informed choice

It's not an 'informed choice' as Roy says when you are skewing it. You wouldn't like a badly-weathered SLW model either so pipe down please.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's not an 'informed choice' as Roy says when you are skewing it. You wouldn't like a badly-weathered SLW model either so pipe down please.

Youre right i wouldnt, and id be the first to draw peoples attention to it.

In the interests of fairness heres the link to the pristine version. Which is far better than the weathered version and slightly cheaper.

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/Heljan-class-25/Heljan-2535-class-25-3-25252-headcode-blinds-in-br-blue-with-single-central-double-arrows-livery/

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Youre right i wouldnt, and id be the first to draw peoples attention to it.

In the interests of fairness heres the link to the pristine version. Which is far better than the weathered version and slightly cheaper.

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/Heljan-class-25/Heljan-2535-class-25-3-25252-headcode-blinds-in-br-blue-with-single-central-double-arrows-livery/

Try the latest Kernow newsletter for some decent images. But the weathered version is showing as not in stock 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

But the weathered version is showing as not in stock

They're carrying out further checks/discussions.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 02/03/2021 at 20:05, adb968008 said:

Being totally pedantic, weren't they there, just isolated ?

They were..... so we'll get you a Sutton One, and pull out the gearing from the bogie ? That OK for you? ;) In essence a slightly speedy tickover is all that's required I believe with the requisite brake noises, door slams or anything else you chose to add to sound file? We have already had one done (years ago) for a Bachmann 25 which ran out of 'puff' in Harburn Hobbies window and donated itself (having died) to the old Ethel project. Bryan at Howes did the sounds AFAIR??

• Like 2

Shared from the SLW Facebook page:

LIGHTING UP OUR NEW CLASS 25

We've had quite a few enquiries about our new Class 25's lighting arrangement. The model features independently-controlled interior lights (cab and engine room), illumination of the four-digit alpha-numeric headcode blinds and tail lights. Tail lights are switchable, with an auto-extinguish feature when you move out of our 'light engine' driving mode (provided for all the frustrated signalmen out there).

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Nick G said:

Shared from the SLW Facebook page:

LIGHTING UP OUR NEW CLASS 25

We've had quite a few enquiries about our new Class 25's lighting arrangement. The model features independently-controlled interior lights (cab and engine room), illumination of the four-digit alpha-numeric headcode blinds and tail lights. Tail lights are switchable, with an auto-extinguish feature when you move out of our 'light engine' driving mode (provided for all the frustrated signalmen out there).

Do they just show one light?  As pre 82 only one tail lamp would be illuminated when running light 

Two red lights on a green loco is not at all prototypical. 

Not relevant to this loco but pre early 90s 47s could only show one tail lamp it was impossible to switch both on 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, russ p said:

Do they just show one light?  As pre 82 only one tail lamp would be illuminated when running light 

Not relevant to this loco but pre early 90s 47s could only show one tail lamp it was impossible to switch both on 

I spoke to Phillip about this when i ordered, he said both lights will show as the majority of customers expect to see two, and would complain if only one shone, thinking the loco faulty.  Dont share his viewpoint personally, one would be correct and a note on the leaflet would solve the problem of erroneous complaints.

Spelling
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, russ p said:

This is something of a bugbear for me although straightforward enough to rectify. However, when the maker of what is intended to be the most accurate model of a subject says that they need to deliberately include an error otherwise people will complain, I do wonder! Any D&E model depicting the era before marker lights and high intensity headlights did nor really show any lighting except at night, so the tendency to illuminate them like Christmas trees always seems a little OTT.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

I spoke to Phillip about this when i ordered, he said both lights will show as the majority of customers expect to see two, and would complain if only one shone, thinking the loco faulty.  Dont share his viewpoint personally, one would be correct and a note on the leaflet would solve the problem of erroneous complaints.

I've ordered one but will blank one off as I do with the others.

To be honest I'm not actually that bothered about lighting as I run only daylight scenes and most lighting especially from the past was hardly visible 

The Bachmann derby lightweight looks like one of the IEP things if you put markers on 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

On 06/03/2021 at 17:03, russ p said:

25s to their end only showed one red marker light and totally impossible to switch both on at the same time (as I sit her looking at a lighting control panel lol). Will be somehow sorting it when I get 2 blue beauties.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 25901 said:

25s to their end only showed one red marker light and totally impossible to switch both on at the same time (as I sit her looking at a lighting control panel lol). Will be somehow sorting it when I get 2 blue beauties.

Didn't realise that . That must only be the later ones is it Robin? When I looked after 5207 I replaced one with a marker light at each end as the previous owner butchered the headcode lighting for a headlight.... don't ask!! Another pet hate headlights on preserved stock that never had them 

Not had a massive amount to do with the later ones secondmaned on them a couple of times but that was 35 years ago

• Agree 1

23 minutes ago, russ p said:

Didn't realise that . That must only be the later ones is it Robin? When I looked after 5207 I replaced one with a marker light at each end as the previous owner butchered the headcode lighting for a headlight.... don't ask!! Another pet hate headlights on preserved stock that never had them 

Not had a massive amount to do with the later ones secondmaned on them a couple of times but that was 35 years ago

Here’s a mint spare panel that’s going to get some switches soon, red marker switch has centre off.

3D774FF2-F2FD-4856-9405-600D66F90497.png

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 25901 said:

Here’s a mint spare panel that’s going to get some switches soon, red marker switch has centre off.

3D774FF2-F2FD-4856-9405-600D66F90497.png

Ahh right,  nice one that explains it.  Totally different to early locos. This should swing people who want both illuminated. 

What did cab pre heat do , i think 5207 also had that