Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

3 hours ago, russ p said:

Ahh right,  nice one that explains it.  Totally different to early locos. This should swing people who want both illuminated. 

What did cab pre heat do , i think 5207 also had that 

Turns one heater on in the other cab

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 25901 said:

Turns one heater on in the other cab

Ah right,  it maybe did work didn't realise it was something so simple.  I just left heaters on in both ends when cold. Or were the heaters only available with a key in when new, obviously no good when guards started riding in the back 

Desperate to splash the cash on a SLW 25 ( I bought one of the first 24’s and it is different class) but struggling to fit the current offering with my layout era’s ( I rotate between Western region Hydraulics in the 60’s and Scottish BR Blue circa 1980’s) ........any speculation on what the future Haggis and Pastie versions might entail ?

• RMweb Gold
On 07/03/2021 at 08:25, The Ghost of IKB said:

I spoke to Phillip about this when i ordered, he said both lights will show as the majority of customers expect to see two, and would complain if only one shone, thinking the loco faulty.  Dont share his viewpoint personally, one would be correct and a note on the leaflet would solve the problem of erroneous complaints.

I would have though a small bit of black electrical tape, over the inside body of the red lens aperture would take care of the problem for those who are concerned.

which red light would normally be on, left ? (which begs the question..if they both cannot be on at the same time.. why have 2 of them ?)... then again whilst the lights might be red.. I dont think I ever saw a meaningful red light shine from them !.. this is the best example ive seen..

http://www.class25.info/photograph_pages/individual_photos/850928_25285_Leeds.htm

heres one with the right side.. again its not going to shine much light on the subject..

http://www.class25.info/photograph_pages/individual_photos/850603_25300_Bristol.htm

I have to admit seeing 1 red light on my westerns makes me think they are faulty... two lights, you expect to see two working, even if reality isnt so.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

No sign of the new website yet.

Ive not yet been able to order mine.

unfortunately working hours of late.. means ive been working.

i’d love time for a natter, but nattering all day is part of my job...so being quiet suits me sometimes. 

Hope they dont sell out ! - i keep counting how many I want.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Hound Dog said:

Desperate to splash the cash on a SLW 25 ( I bought one of the first 24’s and it is different class) but struggling to fit the current offering with my layout era’s ( I rotate between Western region Hydraulics in the 60’s and Scottish BR Blue circa 1980’s) ........any speculation on what the future Haggis and Pastie versions might entail ?

When one is travelling between the WR and the ScR, it is nigh on impossible in the 1980’s to make such a journey without at somepoint being in the vicinity of a rodent species of the type 2 variety that is the subject matter in hand.

indeed should one encounter Stoke, Crewe, Warrington or Wigan on thou’s journey from west to north in the 1980’s, one would expect several such rodents to be encountered.. some looking more diseased than others, but ive never really seen a healthy blue one.. its as if BR overhauled them purposely to look knackered.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

On 08/03/2021 at 09:43, russ p said:

Ah right,  it maybe did work didn't realise it was something so simple.  I just left heaters on in both ends when cold. Or were the heaters only available with a key in when new, obviously no good when guards started riding in the back 

Surely on a cold day you would want to turn on the heater in the rear cab if you knew you would have to change ends shortly.

2 hours ago, Hound Dog said:

For Pastie versions, it's of any help, AFAIK D7657 was the only Class 25 allocated to the WR still in green with small yellow panels - it had panelled boiler grilles and side steps, but original exhaust.

http://kentrail.org.uk/exeter_st_davids_5.htm

The date will have been on or very close to 11/9/71, not 1970 as stated. Another photo from the other direction does exist dated 11/9/71. Perhaps not strictly a Pastie version though, the Derbysulzers website suggests it spent its time down there crew-training around Exeter and may never have crossed the Tamar in this livery (it certainly did later on in blue livery). Still, modeller's licence is there to be invoked and it could have happened when nobody was watching......! D7676 in its original early blue livery turned up in Truro on 21/10/71, but beware, the BR logos/numbers on D7672-77 were lower than those on D7662-71 so a renumbered D7667 wouldn't be 100% correct. The first green full yellow one I saw down there was D7502 on crew-training runs between Truro and Penzance in early January 1972. Panelled steps, exposed boiler grilles, exhaust unknown but probably original.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

.......some looking more diseased than others, but ive never really seen a healthy blue one.. its as if BR overhauled them purposely to look knackered.

I used to think the same about Class 22s!

That final batch of eight 1970/1 overhauls corrected that, although they weren't around long enough to get knackered (and in 6319's case, dirty!!) Sorry, OT.....

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

which red light would normally be on, left ? (which begs the question..if they both cannot be on at the same time.. why have 2 of them ?)

No set rule for which one to use but to answer the question “why have 2 of them”. Simple, if you had one and the bulb blowed, and you had no lamp then the loco had to be failed. You could also check to see if the lamps were working by not leaving the warmth of the cab

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, tractor_37260 said:

Are these new 25's the same price as the 24's ?  ie £185 DCC ready 

With so many new models due this year, trying to work out a budget.

TIA

I can only confirm that the class25 pricing, is the same as the class24 pricing, as Phil says this when you order on the phone. 

Kev.

• Thanks 1

Something thats really irritating me on the Heljan 25 thread is the relentless reference to the slw version being expensive compared to Heljan.  Even when bought at rails or hattons, the cost difference is minimal, 152 plus another 121 for sound (legomanbiffo price) meaning a price premium of 22QUID, for what already looks to be a far superior model.  (Buy at rrp and slw is the cheaper option!)Basic shape right, lighting functions, visible engine room detailing see through grille mesh and radiator detailing, cab interiors.....  295 looks like a bargain price for what youre getting!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

1 minute ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Something thats really irritating me on the Heljan 25 thread is the relentless reference to the slw version being expensive compared to Heljan.  Even when bought at rails or hattons, the cost difference is minimal, 152 plus another 121 for sound (legomanbiffo price) meaning a price premium of 22QUID, for what already looks to be a far superior model.  (Buy at rrp and slw is the cheaper option!)Basic shape right, lighting functions, visible engine room detailing see through grille mesh and radiator detailing, cab interiors.....  295 looks like a bargain price for what youre getting!

Don't forget to factor in speaker prices, a basic setup will add at least another £6-7 and a decent twin speaker setup will set you within single digits, and an EM setup will push it right to the £295 bracket even with box shifter discount. I agree entirely, if you step into the realms of DCC sound fitted then the SLW model is by far the better prospect as at that spec these models are on a level playing field financially speaking.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

My own opinion, SLW all day, everyday of the week, and I think their class 24 loco & sound, is one of the best thought out projects I have ever heard .............. And I model O gauge, the clarity of the 24 sound, and how it oozes out of those etched grilles is Hi-fi fidelity in model form.

I now have 2 x 4mm 24's, hopefully being joined by  2 or 3 more, and I am now planning a few of the 25,s in the future for a Cambrian'esque layout.

These to me are the ultimate Rats.

Craig.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, pauliebanger said:

Tractor,

Yes, but why would you want a DCC ready model?  No sound?

All prices are the same as the Class 24 equivalents.

Best regards,

Paul

Hi Paul

Only a DCC ready ETHEL is of interest at present. Perhaps once sound clips are available to hear for the ETHEL I may then reconsider. 

However look forward to getting my sound fitted Tops 24/1 especially with the crews local dialect !!

Regards

Ken

1 hour ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Agree with your comment. I had originally intended to buy a Heljan 25/3 from TMC Models and have them fit Legomanbiffo sound. However, a sound fitted SLW 25/3 actually works out cheaper, so it was an easy decision to order from SLW.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Depends on the person. For me it is SLW all the way and the price difference is of no concern. For my lad the difference is huge and he could buy a Heljan 25 several months before his availble pocket money would allow for a SLW version.

Roy

7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Depends on the person. For me it is SLW all the way and the price difference is of no concern. For my lad the difference is huge and he could buy a Heljan 25 several months before his availble pocket money would allow for a SLW version.

Roy

In that case Roy, give him a pay rise!:D

On 09/03/2021 at 22:56, Hound Dog said:

I also model Scottish Region but in the 70's , 2 running periods , early 70's/late 70's , as soon as I saw the SLW announcement I did some research to see if any of the loco's could be used rather than wait for a 'Haggis' release , the only one suitable for me out of this batch would 25324 which I could renumber 25301 which was based at Eastfield in 1978 , that said , as progress on my main layout has slowed I've been knocking up a small portable layout which as of yet I haven't decided on a theme for it so who knows , I may end up with more than 25324 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

In that case Roy, give him a pay rise!:D

Nah, inflation rate is low :biggrin_mini2:

We have always had a policy with our boys of them not getting much pocket money, enough that they can save up for things and understand the value of money, but that things don't come too easily. They then earn extra things by their behaviour. It seems to have worked. The eldest has a weekend job as a swim teacher (currently on furlough) that supplements his other money and he seems to have a sensible head, saving most for when he gets a car and house.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1