Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

So are any of the forthcoming SLW class 25s suitable for my west country, Devon/Cornwall layout, I would like one in late green and one in early blue, renumbering is an option but getting all the other variables like exhaust port, grills/steps plated or not etc is a mine field, all suggestions gratefully received. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stovepipe said:

So? If he's looking for a 25 which visited Malliag in blue, then there isn't a lot of choice, and that is at least the right body style.

Was just saying that's all , 109 is on my list of loco's I would like to model , 109 would need numbers repositioned to sides and and was vac braked only 

Hmm, another one ordered (25296). This is already getting expensive. Must be strong...

Incidentally, I came across this site recently:

https://www.derbysulzers.com/

It's full of useful information, photos and allocation histories, etc. for each loco.

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone wasn't aware of it. Apologies if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but the thread is already on 17 pages!

Dave

Edited by Waverley West

14 minutes ago, Paul_sterling said:

Placed my order for 25324 this morning, hash tag excited.

I'm hoping to order a 24 as well in due course, if a new batch of non headcode are launched (which Phil mentioned is planned)

Paul. 

He has un-numbered non headcode in stock 

• Like 1

Just now, sulzer71 said:

I assumed with you ordering 25324 (the one I've ordered funnily enough) that you modelled BR blue

Understandable, but In my case, I'm not fixed to an era. The 24 will be aimed to become D5032 or D5061. 

Cheers, Paul. 

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 02:30, bubbles2 said:

So are any of the forthcoming SLW class 25s suitable for my west country, Devon/Cornwall layout, I would like one in late green and one in early blue, renumbering is an option but getting all the other variables like exhaust port, grills/steps plated or not etc is a mine field, all suggestions gratefully received. 

Late (two-tone) green with small yellow panels is Hobson's Choice - D7657! AFAIK this was the only Gsyp 25 allocated to the WR. According to the derbysulzers website it was the first LMR example to make the move and appears to have spent its time in this livery on crew training in the Exeter area - two photos of it stabled there on 11/9/71 exist. D7657 had original exhaust, blanked boiler grilles and covered side steps with all blanks painted dark green. Data panels were positioned on the driver's cabsides between the works plate and yellow panel.

Early blue examples would be D7675/6/7. I saw D7676 at Truro on 21/10/71, somewhat later than expected (this resulted in Class 22s D6330/4 still appearing there 10-14 days after their official withdrawal date of 3/10/71). I can't recall the specific details of this one now, but I have an Exe-Rail photo of D7677 at Exeter just after arrival and it shows it still in original condition - exposed boiler grilles and side steps, and I think original exhaust (it shows the other side but the roof panelling suggests this). I would expect D7675/6 to have been the same, however regarding renumbering be aware that the BR logos and running numbers were lower on D7672-7 than D7662-71, with works plates moved to the cab doors, so a straight renumber of SLW's D7666 wouldn't be 100% correct.

Two-tone green with full yellow ends appeared right at the start of 1972 - D7502 was employed on crew training duties between Penzance and Truro in early January with a motley collection of recently condemned vans of mainly pre-nationalisation designs. WR crews had not encountered the Gresham & Craven equalizing vacuum brake system on their previous steeds! I have a b&w photo, not to hand but it's on another RMweb thread - 'Class 25 photos' I think. D7502-9 were an early batch allocation to the far south west and most were Gfye on arrival, but I can't be sure about their individual conditions - exposed boiler grilles and blanked side steps are highly likely, but exhausts.......not sure. A colour photo of 7508 in MLI 177 shows it like this and also missing its D prefixes - the other green ones still had them. The WR received a lot of the other Regions' cast-offs in poor condition and wasted no time in putting them all through works overhauls so the green and early blue ones rapidly vanished under standard blue.

I would recommend consulting the derbysulzers website for more information, including other Class 25s which were transferred to the WR and how long they stayed.

Edited by Neil Phillips
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Neil Phillips said:

D7502 was employed on crew training duties between Penzance and Truro in early January with a motley collection of recently condemned vans of mainly pre-nationalisation designs.

I have 7502 as still pottering about PZ in a a very rough looking two tone green FYE in Aug /Sept 1972. I never took numbers but I have a note book were I recorded "stuff". Written against D7502 is "Hayle pick up" & "shunting Esso tanks & 16t coal, Ponsandane Yard".

17 hours ago, stovepipe said:

25109?

Thanks Stovepipe. I’ll have to source and study photos. As has been mentioned on this thread the differences between individual locos is a minefield (as also are the 37s I have and have planned) but renumbering is easy providing everything else is in the right place.

Thanks for your advice and you too Sulzer71

• Like 1

On 25/03/2021 at 18:19, WhiteRoseRambler said:

image.png.f423af4c67840ef33fe200b8fda02774.png

Ordered.....................plus the ETHEL plus a few more. Cant take it with you and i absolutely love these models. I just wish id known about them earlier and id have bought 97210 as well. Keep up the good work Phil et al.

9 hours ago, Chilly said:

Anymore picture updates to drool over :drag:

I would like a few more pics too. 

Is there a cut off as to when I need to order by.

Cheers Peter.

SLW has sent a mailing to customers today with more information about its forthcoming Tamworth Castle 25/3 model. The full text and pictures are below, for those who aren't on SLW's list.

TAMWORTH CASTLE FINALE
30 years on...

30 years ago today, D7672 – the last operational BR Class 25 and a serial escapologist – worked its final train on the national network.

The 1Z45 ‘Rat Requiem’, organised by the late John Farrow’s Hertfordshire Rail Tours, was billed as the final run for Tamworth Castle and took place on March 30th, 1991. Over 340 miles from Leeds to Holyhead and back with load 10 over the Pennines was no mean feat. The ‘Rat that refused to die’ eventually bowed out in style - the Sulzer Type 2, which had been turned out in superb condition by its Holbeck support team, performed faultlessly.

LAST RUN: Tamworth Castle backs into Holyhead station ready to power the return leg of 1Z45, having made a quick trip to the fuelling point for a check-over. The headboard has been repositioned, bufferheads repainted and a wreath attached for the trip back to Yorkshire. © Photograph: Philip Sutton. 

Some fine, gutsy running was appreciated by all on board before we paid our last respects on arrival back at Leeds. TC – now showing • HO • in the blinds – hooked off and ran light to shed through the middle road with its horns blaring as the assembled crowd broke in spontaneous cheering and clapping… Watching those scenes again on YouTube still brings a lump to the throat.

RETRO REPRODUCTION: The forthcoming SLW model of D7672 Tamworth Castle includes a reproduction of the final journey headboard and has the 1Z45 reporting number displaying in the headcode box. © Photograph: Philip Sutton. 

'Ice Cream Van' transformation

This Type 2’s survivor status had been cemented even before it gained notoriety as a training locomotive turned railtour celebrity. The 1967-vintage machine had already escaped three close shaves that could have easily seen it end up as razorblades! Withdrawn as No. 25322 at the end of January 1984, it ended up stored with others in the coal stage road at Tyseley. A lucky break came in the form of a motive power shortage combined with the Tamworth Rail Week.

A group of apprentices, about to conclude their training, were tasked to select and resurrect a Class 25 which then became the obvious choice to form an exhibit at the event. No. 25322 was chosen and given a very significant unofficial overhaul! The work included a make-over in a distinctive but somewhat garish livery, based on large logo, and the first application of the Tamworth Castle name (as a nod to the depot’s GW heritage). Now repaired, re-instated and re-allocated to Bescot, it was quickly nicknamed the ‘Ice Cream Van’!

The writing was on the wall for the remaining Class 25s by the second half of 1985. However, in November, No. 25322 was selected to become one of the 12-strong Class 25/9 sub-class and given a major exam. This fleet was to be the precursor of BR’s dedicated traction policy. Now identified as No. 25912, it managed to hold out right until the end of regular Class 25 operation, becoming the last of the type to work a revenue-earning freight on March 23rd, 1987, before moving to the storage roads in Crewe Basford Hall Yard.

Saved to train again

Incredibly, a third reprieve came just three weeks later. The Eastern Region Training Engineer had need for a locomotive at Holbeck, Leeds. It was a simple case of ‘last in, first out’ as No. 25912 was identified by BRB’s Freight Engineer as the ideal candidate, extracted from the scrapline and moved to West Yorkshire.

Having not long been ‘switched-off’ and subsequently being used for traction theory and maintenance tuition, it was realised that making the loco fully operational again would be a logical step. Having secured the blessing of senior managers, a few local railway staff and enthusiastic volunteers set to restoring the Type 2 to running condition, including painting into two-tone green livery for the first time in its career.

Completion of the exterior work and its official handover the training section was marked with an official naming at Holbeck using cast nameplates on April 24th, 1989.

Back on the main line

Having begged, borrowed and acquired replacement parts from all across the network, the opportunity to return to the mainline came on February 24th, 1990. TC was used to pilot the booked Class 47/4 on a Leeds–Carlisle and return working over the S&C as part of a series of special weekends to promote the line. Such was the success of this outing, the chance to earn further revenue for the railway was too good to miss.

Thereafter, D7672 powered numerous charter trains and appeared at several open days, each with subtle changes made to its decoration. The HRT outing to Holyhead in March 1991 was advertised as, and turned out to be, the last run. On a newly-sectorised railway, a sponsoring business prepared to take responsibility for the loco just could not be found leading to final withdrawal.

SAY CHEESE!: Whilst the lineside was packed with observers, those on board were given the chance to record their day out during a photo-stop at Bangor. During the 10-minute break, the Holbeck team were presented with a framed photograph by way of thanks from HRT. A bid to purchase the machine by John Farrow and base it on the NYMR did not succeed. © Photograph: Philip Sutton

It would be great to know how many railwaymen learned their trade working on this loco! To the teams that got 25322/25912/D7672 back up and running time and time again - take a bow. Some are still on the railway, some help out on heritage lines, some are retired, some have passed away… wherever you are, thank you!

Re-live the past with SLW

Tamworth Castle forms an important introductory part of the new SLW Class 25 range and features in two identities as No. 25322 in its ‘Ice Cream Van’ guise and D7672 in pseudo-green, as used on charters in 1990s and during the first stages of preservation.

The models feature bodyshells without headboard clips at the No. 2 end. The latter is also being supplied with a full suite of etched stainless steel nameplates, final journey headboard, worksplates and 55A (Holbeck) shedplates.

Advance reservations can now be made on our webshop at: www.railexclusive.com or by telephone on 01780 470086. Tamworth Castle is sure to be popular so don’t hesitate too long…

9f339393-74cf-4648-8e02-e1ef91fc1ea6.jpg

3f8bfa1f-1c81-4a49-88c1-c82110b27789.jpg

99d258ae-a7c3-41ea-b2dc-68a5b0117479.jpg

• Like 6

On 31/03/2021 at 12:35, Roy Langridge said:

Just had a another very pleasant 40 minute chat with Phil and ordered my fourth 25/3. It is getting expensive ;)

How many 25/1s do I need? Probably less than I will end up ordering...

Roy

Good Shout Roy!

I've been on the phone myself this afternoon, to add D7672 to my previous order of 25324. Lovely chat too. 

Paul. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/02/2021 at 14:38, stovepipe said:

Just tracking down the last ones - up to Spring 1983*, the last one was amongst these

and one end only

also a couple of early bodyshell - both ends

* from the RE Mag published lists.

A photo check implies that the last two 25257 and 25278, were actually domino by late 1982, if not earlier.

25287 had 0O00 headcodes on at least one end, as late as 1984. I have a photo, but it's  too poor to be posted here.

Edit:- found it. It wasn't 0O00, it was something T22 (in my photo). A search for 25287 1984 threw up this on Flickr (not my photo):-

25287 departing Shrewsbury

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 02:30, bubbles2 said:

I ordered d7666 to renumber as a WR machine for the early 70s with the original exhaust. The air brake pipes will also need to be removed as all the original batch in Devon and Cornwall were vacuum braked.

Mark

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, The Ghost of IKB said:

Anyone have any info on the eta of 25296?

Is it arriving with the first batch or later?

I want one, but if it turns up at the same time as 322 and 324 (already ordered) i will have to go without food that month.

I asked Phil and he said that in reality there are no batches, it is just that, being small, they cannot cope with sending out too many versions at once. He was suggesting that they would all be released a few weeks apart to spread the load.

Roy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1