Sutton's Locomotive Works *NEW* Class 25

Nick G

5 hours ago, Mark said:

I ordered d7666 to renumber as a WR machine for the early 70s with the original exhaust. The air brake pipes will also need to be removed as all the original batch in Devon and Cornwall were vacuum braked.

Mark

Remember don`t remove all the air pipes.

Even when vac fitted, they still had independent air brakes for loco, plus air pipe for engine throttle with the blue star MU.

4 hours ago, Mark said:

I ordered d7666 to renumber as a WR machine for the early 70s with the original exhaust. The air brake pipes will also need to be removed as all the original batch in Devon and Cornwall were vacuum braked.

Mark

Indeed, it's interesting to note that long-time Laira stalwarts 25223/5 came back from general overhauls still vacuum brake only as late as 1976, the WR's bean counters presumably not wanting to pay for equipment which wouldn't be required for their day-to-day duties. The problem was that 4 years later when they were pushed out by Class 37s nobody wanted them so they went for scrap.

• RMweb Premium
On 25/03/2021 at 23:30, mallaig1983 said:

I’m scratching around trying to find the number of an example that ran to Mallaig. I’m to stubborn for rule 1 and my layout is dated in 1983 anyway but I do have a couple of 27s in their boxes so I can run 1980 and I’m seriously weakening to one of these little beauties.

There’s a photo of a class 25 at Mallaig on here although it doesn’t seem to record the number. Also one at Fort William that suggests it’s come from Mallaig.

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/whl.htm

3 hours ago, SHerr said:

There’s a photo of a class 25 at Mallaig on here although it doesn’t seem to record the number. Also one at Fort William that suggests it’s come from Mallaig.

Thanks for taking the time. The photo at Mallaig is excellent apart from the fact that I can’t read the number. It just blurs when expanding. It would certainly be a lovely scene to recreate with the sulzer chattering away. Thank you.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SHerr said:

34 minutes ago, mallaig1983 said:

Thanks for taking the time. The photo at Mallaig is excellent apart from the fact that I can’t read the number. It just blurs when expanding. It would certainly be a lovely scene to recreate with the sulzer chattering away. Thank you.

Comparing the Eastbank photo with this one on Flickr, the markings, dents, etc. would strongly suggest that it is 25109, which was an Eastfield loco from 02/78 until it moved to Haymarket in 03/81, before moving to Crewe in 10/82.

25109, Shrewsbury, September 1986

Paul J.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Swindon 123 said:

Comparing the Eastbank photo with this one on Flickr, the markings, dents, etc. would strongly suggest that it is 25109, which was an Eastfield loco from 02/78 until it moved to Haymarket in 03/81, before moving to Crewe in 10/82.

Paul J.

Brilliant Paul, Rat detective extraordinaire! A nice link to Stovepipe’s information from earlier in the week. As I’m only just taking tentative first steps through the Rat minefield which of SLW’s rodents would be a close match? Bearing in mind that the internal differences arnt apparent. 
Also I am aware of individuals offering weathering services but does anybody do dents or would I have to apply these myself?  
;-)

Thanks chaps.

13 hours ago, mallaig1983 said:

......Also I am aware of individuals offering weathering services but does anybody do dents or would I have to apply these myself?  
;-)

Thanks chaps.

I'm sure that was tongue in cheek, but if you can bring yourself to have a go, DIY Dents here:

Well, that didn't go as intended, and I can't see any obvious way to delete or amend it now it's been posted.

For the dents, please refer to page 309 of the thread linked to above.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

At the risk of revealing too much about how my head works.......:blink:

I've often seen the SLW class 24's at exhibitions, and always thought they were in the 'looks lovely, but doesn't fit in with any theme or era that I model' category.

The argument in my head went along the lines of-

me- "want one"

me- "it's no use to you!"

me- "want one !"

me- "it's no use to you !"

me- "still want one !!"

me- "NO, it's NO use to you !!"

So I've managed to talk myself out of a purchase.

Then 'Tamworth Castle' in Green gets offered.

Same argument still takes place, except this time an extra line at the end says-

me- "BUT, you was on that trip from Leeds to Carlisle......."

There's just no arguing with some people !!

Order placed. :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

30 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

me- "want one"

me- "it's no use to you!"

me- "want one !"

me- "it's no use to you !"

me- "still want one !!"

me- "NO, it's NO use to you !!"

Oh yes I know that one, I seem to have gotten over it - I really want to do OO again with these new Peaks, 25s, 37s, 55s but really I would have to have just a TMD and I don't want that.  It has been hard, but reminding myself I have a box full of steam OO doing absolutely nothing, nada, nilch plus half my N gauge doing the same I really cannot let myself slide back into Gollum mode.

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 03/04/2021 at 10:08, pauliebanger said:

Well, that didn't go as intended, and I can't see any obvious way to delete or amend it now it's been posted.

The three dots on the right of your name should allow editing and hiding posts.

4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

The three dots on the right of your name should allow editing and hiding posts.

Thank you, I tried that initially.

The problem is that in Edit mode there is no 'Delete' option for the incorrrect link so I couldn't remove it and add the correct link. Hide is about as good as it gets, but there are comments attached now. so I'll leave it visible.

Not to worry, you can get to what I was referring from that link and the caveat below, so it still serves the purpose.

(but I willl not bother trying to link threads in future, LOL).

Best regards,

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 02/04/2021 at 19:00, Swindon 123 said:

Paul J.

Another vote for 109 https://www.derbysulzers.com/25109.html

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GordonC said:

I pre-ordered a 25324 too, hadn't heard anything about an invoice yet, but its good news if they're close

I also ordered 324 , not had an invoice yet or heard anything , they stated a late 2021 release so I can't imagine they will be close yet

• Agree 3

I've not heard anything yet on my order for a few. All I remember is when speaking with them, I was told that they were expecting them towards the end of summer. There has been no news of delays, so barring any new developments it still seems to be on target.

Updates full stop have been quiet for months, but then the 24/0 literally landed ready for retail unannounced which is what I feel SLW were intending to do with the 25s. Heljans model seems to have been the catalyst for early announcing these, so I'm still on the 'it'll arrive when its ready' fence. I have to admit though, I was hoping for a dribble inducing video of the sound versions which would likely have pried my wallet open even further, though I think the threat of the /1 has me absolutely hooked for now.

• RMweb Premium
On 02/04/2021 at 19:50, stovepipe said:

Yes i would say it’s ‘109 from enlarging the photo, and as mentioned up thread. Though I note neither the rail gen archive or the class 25 info websites list the working

Just to second that, in my copy of the book "The West Highland Lines Post Beeching" there is a confirmed photo of 25109 at Mallaig in June 1980.  It notes the dent and states that this was probably due to a locomotive shortage at Eastfield although interestingly in another of my books it talks of a small number of '25's making regular appearances on the WHL between 1975 and 1980 together with a picture of 25006 at Fort William (albeit one of the early locos so different cab front than the SLW offering).

Thus 'Rule 1' may not be too far fetched!

• Like 1